Tamiya F-15C Kicked Up A Notch- Dec 1/17: DONE!

chuck540z3

Thank you sir for the feedback and explanation.  I learned along time ago to not jump to conclusions, so it's always better to ask a stupid question early and be sure, than regret a wrong decision later.

Cheers,

Chuck

Very true!  And you're quite welcome.

Chuck, check out the below-indicated area on the Tamiya kit, you'll see a bulge there where there is none on your C. Same thing on the inside of the rudders (hope you don't mind me using your pic for illustration).

F-15C_AGG57_zpst6jotjps.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel

Chuck, check out the below-indicated area on the Tamiya kit, you'll see a bulge there where there is none on your C. Same thing on the inside of the rudders (hope you don't mind me using your pic for illustration).

Perfect!  Thanks man.

Also, if you or anybody else wants to use my pics for non-commercial use going forward, please feel free.  I have about 75 of them I will be posting throughout this thread, so "cut/paste" all you want!

Here's another pic of the same general area on another Desert camo jet.

9Desert.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Is that at Nellis AFB ? Flight line looks very familiar ......Harv

Yup.  Nellis used to have their annual "Aviation Nation" air every November Veterans Day long weekend.  Nowadays, it is every second year, with this year apparently a go because they didn't have it last year.  I like to go every time I can, especially since my first visit in 2004 when I saw my first F-22, QF-4 and lots of other fighter jets like the F-15, F/A-18 and of course the F-16 Thunderbirds.  The really cool thing about Nellis is that you don't have to worry about whether of not fighter jets will perform, because they all live there, including the T-Birds!  You often see Aggressor demos that are not scheduled, B-1 bomber flybys and 2 years ago they had 2 F-15C's take off at the same time in a mock scramble.  Now THAT was cool- and very loud!

The highlight, however, was during my 2004 visit when I saw an F-14D Tomcat do one of the very last demos of this jet anywhere before it retired.  Since it was one of the last flights and Navy "Aviators" always like to show off in front of the Air Force home crowd, the demo was spectacular.  I found this link on Youtube of that performance at Nellis in '04.  The filming is crappy, but check out that low wheels up take-off.  Wow, it was only about 20 feet in the air for hundreds of yards before it went vertical.

Look how dirty this jet is.  No use painting an aircraft destined for the bone yard I guess.

VF101.jpg

(Navy Photo)

Perfect!  Thanks man.

Here's another pic of the same general area on another Desert camo jet.

9Desert.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

That is a great comparison... the blue jet has no bulge on the rudder while the brown jet does... and they are both C's.

A quick question for you or anybody else.  Just forward of the torpedo shaped canopy remover is a red bar that connects behind the seat up to the canopy.  I don't see it described in your book, but it's in at least 12 pics.  It's really banged up, so I think it must be a temporary canopy brace- hence the red color.  I that correct?

Yes, it's a temporary strut to hold the canopy up.  It's nearly always in place when the jet is on the ground and removed by the Crew Chief as the pilot(s) are strapping in.

That is a great comparison... the blue jet has no bulge on the rudder while the brown jet does... and they are both C's.

I would wager that the blue jet does have a bulge, but the different lighting, sunshades, and colors hide it well. Regardless, the bulge on jets these days is not as pronounced as on the Tamiya kits.

Edited by jmel

I would wager that the blue jet does have a bulge, but the different lighting, sunshades, and colors hide it well. Regardless, the bulge on jets these days is not as pronounced as on the Tamiya kits.

Survey says!

78-567 has it (above)

78-504 has it....

8Desert.jpg

And if you squint, 800010 might have it.  I'll have to check the originals and blow them up tonight to be sure.....

F-15C_AGG52.jpg

Sounds like we're going to have another battle of the bulge... I am a little confused though, on p. 98 of your book you essentially say some rudders have the bulge and some don't.

Cheers,

Marcel

Sounds like we're going to have another battle of the bulge... I am a little confused though, on p. 98 of your book you essentially say some rudders have the bulge and some don't.

Cheers,

Marcel

It would appear that 800010 has the elusive bulge after all, but barely.  I will sand the kit ones to make them look more subtle.

Vert%20Stab%20Bulge.jpg

Since we're on the topic of vertical stab's, I'll likely be adding some raised reinforcement fasteners and maybe a small panel to the front.

15Desert.jpg

Vert%20Stab%202.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3

I shall follow your progress on the rudder actuator bulges with interest as this is the detail that stalled my build.

I attempted to sand the kit parts but my efforrts left the parts round shouldered and not looking at all correct.

I then removed them completely but could n't work out how to add them back again. I was n't able to create the facetted, sharp edged look of the originals from thin plasticard and I'm still looking for a way forward on that.

Hopefully you will come up with an idea that I can adopt so good luck.

Whilst you're looking at details on the fins have a look at the trailing edge bullets toward the top.

I think the lower one of the two on each fin needs to be re-shaped for accuracy. The Tamiya one is too long compared to reference pics. Also, the left fin ECM pod is possibly too skinny and the right fin balance pod is possibly too thick. Have a look and see what you think.

HTH

Cheers.