#16 Martinnfb

Martinnfb

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:37 PM

Was busy watching "Generation kill"

• Uncarina, MARU5137, Girlscanplay2 and 2 others like this

In progress:   D-13 ; Ta-152V7 ; Mig-29 ; EMIL ; P-39 Аэрокобра ; Avia S-199 ; K-14 what if

Done:            F-8 F-8 Wurger Party ; D-9 ; D-15; Ta-152E ; P-40E 

#17 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,375 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:48 PM

Martin,

Is that a gentle comedy!

:hmmm: :wicked:
  • Martinnfb and mpk like this

Res Non Verba .

La calma è la virtù dei forti !

Potius Mori quam foedari.

#18 Finn

Finn

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:24 PM

I checked just after 23:00, still a bit of twilight left to the North but didn't see anything else. I did wake up at 04:30 but the sky was getting light already since it is that time of year so i didn't look. Here is a gallery of a few that did see some, including NZ:

http://spaceweatherg...ra_gallery.html

Jari

• Martinnfb, MARU5137 and mpk like this

#19 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,375 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:56 PM

Jari, thank you for sharing that link.

WOW.. some pretty cool photos ..

:yahoo:

Res Non Verba .

#20 Martinnfb

Martinnfb

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,480 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:01 PM

Martin,

Is that a gentle comedy!

:hmmm: :wicked:

in my opinion , one of the best war movies depicting 2003 conflict in Middle East.  Definitely a must see.

• MARU5137 and mpk like this

In progress:   D-13 ; Ta-152V7 ; Mig-29 ; EMIL ; P-39 Аэрокобра ; Avia S-199 ; K-14 what if

Done:            F-8 F-8 Wurger Party ; D-9 ; D-15; Ta-152E ; P-40E 

#21 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,375 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:37 PM

Must see ..then SEE IT I MUST .

thanks Martin.

:thumbsup:

Res Non Verba .

#22 Neo

Neo

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:12 PM

No joy for Laval Qc we had heavy cloud cover :S
  • Martinnfb, MARU5137 and mpk like this

#23 mpk

mpk

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:24 AM

No joy in Utah last night.  

Isn't that the phrase on car number plates there?

• MARU5137 and Uilleann like this

WARNING! Member, MPK, has a brain that is slowly losing function. Some posts may appear strange. If this makes one uncomfortable, I urge one to place MPK on ignore. MPK will try to post as little as possible. If and when will be questions regarding modelling only.

MPK.

#24 MARU5137

MARU5137

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,375 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:43 PM

https://www.space.co...ation-view.html
  • mpk likes this

Res Non Verba .

#25 pzcreations

pzcreations

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 03:47 PM

Not just Canada with any luck.  NOAA shows the northern states in the USA might get a good show too.  Sounds like this most recent CME was quite large, and in our general direction.  We got lucky here in Utah about a month back with a few faint aurora visible towards the north on a single night.  Here's hoping for a repeat!  We certainly have more than a few areas with very dark skies, perfect for this sort of viewing.  If the activity is strong enough of course.  I snapped this down at Capitol Reef National Park a few short hours drive from home about a month ago.  The core here is in the wrong direction for aurora (south), but still was pretty to look at.

MW2017-Edit.jpg

that is a gorgeous photo! My wife mentioned just a few nights ago she'd like to be able and take some photos of the stars... any recommendations on how to do it? she does have a good Nikon , cant remember the model at the moment, but has all the manual settings 

• Uilleann and mpk like this
www.TSHobbies.com

#26 mpk

mpk

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:02 AM

I like looking at the stars when I''m right out in the bush. Hard to believe just how many there are. Then in the morning in the outback, the clouds appear then the red earth seems to get reflected off the shadows. I recall one morning there were too many shades of red in the sky to count.

The universe is astounding. 400 billion suns. 

Edited by mpk, 25 July 2017 - 03:48 AM.

• Uilleann likes this

WARNING! Member, MPK, has a brain that is slowly losing function. Some posts may appear strange. If this makes one uncomfortable, I urge one to place MPK on ignore. MPK will try to post as little as possible. If and when will be questions regarding modelling only.

MPK.

#27 Finn

Finn

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 04:30 AM

that is a gorgeous photo! My wife mentioned just a few nights ago she'd like to be able and take some photos of the stars... any recommendations on how to do it? she does have a good Nikon , cant remember the model at the moment, but has all the manual settings 

Use a tripod so she gets a steady image, even pushing the button may jar it a bit so be gentle. Focus to infinity, unless it does it automatically, and try various time settings to get different results. A good way is to center Polaris (North Star) in the middle of of the viewfinder and use the longest time to get star trails. Do an image search for Star Trails and you'll see quite a few examples.  Fresh batteries helps as the shutter will be open for awhile. One last tip, have dark skies as the least bit of light tends to reflect on the camera lens, have a flashlight with a red filter so you can see what you are doing and not ruin your night vision.

Jari

• mpk likes this

#28 pzcreations

pzcreations

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:05 PM

thankyou  Jari,. appreciate the tips. 

• mpk likes this
www.TSHobbies.com

#29 Girlscanplay2

Girlscanplay2

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:20 PM

Was busy watching "Generation kill"

We have that Video Martin

Its great! Have watched it more than once. Does have some funny things in it as well.

Now lets clip that moosh stach up to standards...... :rofl:

Really like seeing them talk to the real guys that approved the film, very interesting.

hqdefault.jpg

Teresa  :)

#30 Uilleann

Uilleann

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:24 PM

There are very few hard and fast rules when shooting astro.  And some of it depends on the type of image you're wishing to create.  Deep sky objects require very long focal lengths (BIG and expensive lenses) or a telescope, along with a means to track the image against the rotation of the earth.

For wide field images (like mine above of the Milky Way core there), you can get away with a wide angle lens and a fixed tripod.  I use a Canon 5D Mk III, a Sigma Art 24 mm f/1.4 prime lens, and an intervalometer.  The image was made using 50 individual exposures, shot at: f/3.5 (to reduce chromatic aberration, vignetting, and sagittal astigmatism in the corners), 10 seconds each, and ISO 12,600.  When shooting that high, you get a bunch of noise.  So that's where the multiple exposures come in.  You use a process called median stacking in Photoshop to eliminate the background random noise, and keep the detail and the stars.

Things get a little tricky with wide field stuff in that the edges of the frames can get a bit distorted, but it's usually a small enough effect as not to cause major issues.  I did have a 15" x 30" metal print made of the image above - and it looks glorious!  Just wish I'd have had luck with the aurora the other night...instead of loads of flying ******* mosquitoes!  :)

Brian~

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Canada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users