Nieuport 17

mgbooyv8

Uuuuuh, ya know Peter......now that I look at the Hobbycraft DR-1 I made, I think I DID get those landing gear pieces on reversed! :ph34r: They sure didn't want to go on the way I thought they shoulda been. Hmmmm. :beer:

That sure is a great paint-scheme you chose dude, can't wait to see this one come together with some color on it. Whoohoo! :D Later, Russ

Well, Russ, don't tell the person to whom you gave your model! :whistle:

... and thanks for the encouragement! :P

Anyway guys,

Due to a few days of flue ... no, not the Mexican one... I didn't do much modeling this week.

The little Nieuport got its undercarriage reinforcements:

post-4267-1260734527.jpg

The piece of beercan was glued in with expoxy, because my superglue was too old and wouldn't stick! :angry2:

The horizontal tailplane got struts from Contrail streamlined strut stock, looking much better than the original parts:

post-4267-1260734752.jpg

Well, it is ready to receive its primer coat now.

Stay tuned!

Cheers,

Peter

Doooooh, Dadgummit!, now you've got me all pumped up to do some more WW1 planes again Peter. :rolleyes: Bummer about the flu,...and glad to see that you're up and about being your effervescent self once more. Hurrah!

Deadline on this GB is getting close, ( :rolleyes: ) so it looks like painting isn't too far off, eh?! :frantic: Whoohoo, can't wait to see the next updates dude! Later, Russ

Hi Derek,

Thanks for the compliment.

I'll check out your thread!

Hi Russ,

Yes, WW1 can be addictive... and so many good kits available or imminent! :thumbsup:

And yes, some paint has been thrown on it...

Hi guys,

I did some painting this weekend.

Here is the result:

post-4267-1261335109.jpg

I started with a base coat of Revell 75, my usual primer.

I thin it with white spirit and thinner. The latter ensures a good bond to the plastic.

It is still visible on the wheels. After some additional filling and sanding, fuselage and wings received a coat of Revell 99.

That's my favourite representation of aluminium dope.

Both need an additional coat, I'm not happy yet.

The engine cowling was sprayed gloss black in preparaton for an Alclad coat.

The fin was sprayed gloss white in preparation for a decal.

In a few days I have vacation, so fast progress can be made on this.....deadline comes closer!! :blink:

Cheers,

Peter

Whoohoo! Looking really nice Peter! :rolleyes: Gotta love those classic Nieuport lines,...what a gorgeous airplane. Looks like you're on the downhill side of getting this one built, man...you're flying! Congratulations on getting some vacation time, always a beautiful thing. REALLY looking forward to seeing the next progress pics, this is inspiring me to get mine outta the closet and get it built. This is going to look soooo cool with those markings you picked. More pics!, more pics! :mental: Happy Holidays Buddy! Later, Russ

Thanks, Russ!

The vacation time has been put to goot use already :ph34r:

The little Nieuport got its second coat of Revell 99 and a coat of Klear (Future in the U.S.)

So its drying time now.

I'm painting some small odds and ends like wheels, wing struts etc.

Not so interesting for pictures I'm afraid... but stay tuned! :yahoo:

The Spada decals are printed with a laser printer.

In the instructions they say that "theoretically it doesn't need a clear coat".

Though they're most probably right,

I know that laserjet toner can be brittle,

So just to be sure I sprayed a coat of Revell enamel laquer over the sheet.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi guys,

Did some painting today: Alclad polished aluminium on the cowling and wood effect on the interplane struts and propeller.

I also added the roundels on the wing undersurface, because the interplane struts attach into them.

As laserjet decals are translucent, Spada offers white disks to be put under the roundels.

And to add white to the roundels.

However, the drawn circles on the white decal paper provided are too small,

so the darker silver will be seen through the blue toner.

With a compass cutter I made two appropriately sized disks from stock white decal paper:

post-4267-1261595461.jpg

And here the roundels are placed on top of them. No touching up required! :speak_cool:

post-4267-1261595990.jpg

The decals for the fin are supplied as square flags.

They only need some careful trimming after application.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi guys,

What have I done this christmas?

Well, after the cabane struts had been firmly glued to the fuselage, the top wing was added.

It was first glued to the cabane struts.

After curing, the wing struts were added.

The fit of all struts is very good here, so a little weight was all that was needed to get everything bonded together well:

post-4267-1261939259.jpg

After curing I repeated this procedure for the other side.

This was the result:

post-4267-1261939565.jpg

It starts to look like a Nieuport 17 now. :thumbsup:

Now it was time to do the rigging.

This is how I did it:

I used thin fishing wire for rigging.

Remember I had already drilled tiny holes in the wings?

The fishing wire was glued in a hole at one end with super glue.

After curing, the wire was threaded through the other hole.

As a weight, a clothing peg (Oh, they're so very useful! Dont tell the missus! :thumbsup: ) was attached and the wire glued:

post-4267-1261939819.jpg

After a while and sometimes very unchristmas like language B)

I ended up with this:

post-4267-1261940291.jpg

All wires except those for the rudder are present now.

The turnbuckles and attachment points will be simulated with blobs of white glue because they're small.

They will be painted a metallic colour.

In the mean time, several odds and ends have been painted.

Now, its time to add the rest of the decals.

Stay tuned!

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter,

That is how I rig my bi-planes. It is amazing how much additional strength rigging in this fashion adds to the model - those WW1 designers certainly knew what they were doing! (looks great Peter).

Derek

^^^^^^^What Derek said!^^^^^^ I'm going to have to try the fishing line technique, it looks MUCH easier than the stretched sprue method I used. Gorgeous model Peter, what a sweet design.....so light and fragile looking but incredibly beautiful at the same time. :lol: Bring this on home Peter, you're almost there buddy! :goodjob:

Hi Derek,

You're right, like the original fishing wire adds strength to the model.

And yes, Russ, fishing line can be easier to apply than sprue, provided you drill attachment holes in wings and fuselage.

It is much sturdier than sprue. Sprue rigging always breaks at the most awkward places (guess how I know? :frantic: )

and thanks for the compliments! :tumble:

Anyway, guys,

The decals have been applied, followed by a coat of Klear mixed with Tamiya matting agent for that silk matt finish.

Here's a picture of the result:

post-4267-1262016954.jpg

...and another pic:

post-4267-1262017004.jpg

The aileron control rods had to be shortened a few mm in order to fit the wing.

I also put a slice of rod at each side of the bellcrank to simulate the aileron torque tube.

The stubs on the wheel axle also had to be shortenened a couple of mm in order to have the correct location of the wheels.

Engine and cowling have only be placed in situ for the picture. :tumble:

The Lewis gun was donated by the Roden SE-5a kit as it is the correct type for this particular Ni-17.

The gunsight tube is scratch.

Well, almost there! after drying time, the the loose objects can be attached and then it's finished! :frantic:

Stay tuned!

Cheers,

Peter

Its looking very nice Peter. Its a neat littly aircraft, and quite colorful.

But I have to wonder about that lacing decal on the side of the fuselage under the upper wing. You would think that it would be a darker aluminum color since I expect that it would be coated with aluminum dope at the same time as the rest of the fabric. Sort of a silver grey with brown stitching instead of the orangey color it is. I wonder if there is any photo evidence one way or the other.

Sabre