RAF Mustang IV

Butler

Go Butler Go!!!! :blink: I've got a couple of Dragon Mustangs I'd like to get started on, but I wanted to see how they look all built-up first. How are you liking the way the kit goes together so far? Must not be too out-of-whack if you went ahead with a NMF, eh? I haven't even taken mine out f the plastic wrap yet, so I have no idea. From what you've shown, it builds up into a really nice Mustang! Cool! Think I'll get some of those Aires wheelwells, good tip. Nice choice of markings you've decided on, I've never seen this scheme before. Excellent job dude!

Later, Russ

Thanks for the comments guys <_<

Buttler, what an outstanding looking stang!! :o You`ve done a great job. As far as dry transfers, have you thought of HOBBYDECAL ? I just received a set from them and they are jewels. They have thier own web site.........Harv :blink:

They're the folks I had in mind, I placed an order last weekend but haven't heard anything yet (even to pay!)

Go Butler Go!!!! :P I've got a couple of Dragon Mustangs I'd like to get started on, but I wanted to see how they look all built-up first. How are you liking the way the kit goes together so far?

It goes together pretty well on the whole, the windscreen fit really lets it down though. I think it's impossible to fit this part without doing loads of quite tricky modification, and this would render the kit pretty much scrap to beginners. I think Dragon should really include a replacement in the box. Despite this I really like the kit, it seems nice and 'crisp' and the engine is nicely done.

Butler, when I ordered mine in comments I put LSP member. A couple of days latter, I happen to check order status and found that they had already had been shipped. NO CHARGE! I recieved them about 2 days latter.

Mine have arrived today, also FOC! I too put some LSP details in the comments box. I have to say, these look amazing and i'll probably be after a set for every new build now. Nice bit of marketing ;)

I'm off to start rubbing (as it were) :lol:

I've put on the rest of the top-surface markings now. The 'QVV' decals were individually cut from their carrier film to avoid it showing up on the silver finish.

I used some Letraset decals (found in a cupboard at work, left over from before the days of AutoCAD :( ) to put on the serial number - the font isn't quite right but they're the same size and the lack of carrier film makes up for it.

I've also added the blue and white chequers on the front. I tried using the supplied decals but they gave a poor finish and wouldn't sit right - I painted them on instead. :huh:

post-4669-1248210181.jpg

This pic shows some of the Hobbydecal dry transfers - they are almost unbelievably small and yet you can clearly read the writing, superb!

They take quite a hard rub to transfer them so you don't have to worry about them 'grabbing' the wrong surface. I can't recommend these enough :huh:

post-4669-1248210588.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more slow progress. Here's the engine, essentially the kit parts but with some extra wiring and a plate around the exhaust fairing. The actual engine block is almost invisible due to the cowlings so I didn't bother adding anything extra!

I just need to add a few panel fasteners and some thin wire and this'll be done :huh:

post-4669-1249421428.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Disaster! I've managed to spill an entire pot of liquid poly over my model table, completely immersing all four prop blades that i'd lined up to admire after applying the HobbyDecal stencils :angry:

It's stripped all the paint off and left a rough, sticky finish covered in bits of tissue paper where I quickly mopped it off :rolleyes: Never mind, something to fix tomorrow <_<