Anyone see this? bf109 TL.I jet engine conversion

seiran01

A fiction, but a very well done fiction. The Russians actually did their own version with Laggs (yeah, I was thinking more in terms of the Yaks but mis-remembered, but the engine forward was very much the thing for a bunch of post war Russian designs

Edited by stevegallacci

The Russians actually did their own version with Laggs

Yaks (15 & 17):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakovlev_Yak-15

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakovlev_Yak-17

Lavochkin's first jet fighter was all-new, and very similar to the MiG-15:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavochkin_La-15

This "Bf 109TL" conversion was never considered by Messerschmitt. The actual Bf 109TL design study had two jet engines while utilising as much of the '109 as possible, and was intended to be a quick, alternate solution if the Me 262 design failed.

SERIOUSLY freekin' cool conversion, though.  :thumbsup:

D

Edited by D Bellis

The thrust line points up a good 5 or 10 degrees compared to the wing root.  Any throttle changes would have huge impact on altitude or even control.

Fortunately, it wasn't possible to slam the throttle around with the Jumo 004. The later versions had an automated control to gently alter throttle setting no matter what the pilot did with the handle in the cockpit.

And, oddly enough, the Yak-15's engine was also installed with the engine angled upward (although apparently not as much as this conversion's parts):

13881556661_SPLASH.jpg

Of some concern is what to do with the kit's underwing radiators and inboard flaps because this does not appear to be addressed with the parts included with that conversion. Removing the radiators and covering the resulting holes with card stock shouldn't be too big of a deal, though, unless one wanted to alter the inboard flaps to be one with the outboard portions (which likely would have been the case with a full-scale version).

Still looks like fun project at a reasonable price, so I ordered one. 

D

A fiction, but a very well done fiction. The Russians actually did their own version with Laggs

Not a fiction .. but was seriously considered by Messerschmidt at one stage.. because of the slow delivery of Jumo 004 turbos...but only got as far as a 1st-draft drawing..with 1 and 2 engine versions -  like the 262...

Phil

Edited by Piprm

Not a fiction .. but was seriously considered by Messerschmidt at one stage.. because of the slow delivery of Jumo 004 turbos...but only got as far as a 1st-draft drawing..with 1 and 2 engine versions -  like the 262...

Phil

I'd be very interested in reading whatever references you have for that single-Jumo design study.

I've pored through numerous books and scoured the internet, but have only found one reference to it in a fictional "alternate history" story written by Evan Mayerle for the Luft'46 page:

http://www.luft46.com/mess/me109tl.html

TIA,

D

Phil

I'd REALLY like to see anything on that and would be concerned that anything on such might more likely be one of the many post war hoax designs. I do know about the twin engine concept, with actually was to use Me155 rather than direct '109 parts. I know that the '155 was suppose to use '109 parts, but the more the design evolved, the less it had any commonality with the original '109.

if it looks interesting and captures your fancy, build it. No rivets to count, nor any color schemes and victory markings to date to the exact hour of the day.... and then there's the angle of the sun to account for in the diorama... AMS will strike if you let it, so ...

Just have fun,

Tnarg

I'd REALLY like to see anything on that and would be concerned that anything on such might more likely be one of the many post war hoax designs. I do know about the twin engine concept, with actually was to use Me155 rather than direct '109 parts. I know that the '155 was suppose to use '109 parts, but the more the design evolved, the less it had any commonality with the original '109.

Hi Steve and D,

The main source of reference is Jet Planes of the Third Reich by J.Richard Smith and Eddie J. Creek... 

I may have gotten the info of the single jet version from a magazine article somewhere on the same subject ... but it's either buried in the tonnage of air-mags in my cupboard or given to a mate years ago... in any case, will take some time to find (if I still have it)...

The book ...it does talk of the Me (Bf) 109TL twin engine project in detail and also shows the Fw-190 TL jet version as well!...

You are correct Steve about the 155 fuselage used in the jet 109 but, I think i got the memory of the single engine version from the magazine article - yet to be found..it may take days/weeks, if i have it still...

Phil

I know all about the twin engine concept, no question. I would suspect that the single engine thing is a total hoax- gosh, if the Russians could clank together a jet and an existing fighter airframe, then why no concoct a German equivelent. Especially as the design includes some practical fallicies, like the engine intrudes into where the wing mainspar carry though would go. There is a whole cottage industry of Luft'46 stuff, some of it is actually based on real paper projects, but some has been hoaxes and fabrications, some more obvious than others.