Supermarine Spitfire F Mk.22 | Revell ex Matchbox 1:32

Kendzior

The landing gear... Probably will not use even a single bit of the plastic from the box.

SAC's Mk. VIII legs had to be slightly reworked. According to my calculations, the difference between 1:32 Mk. VIII leg from SAC and scaled down F. Mk.22 leg is equal to only 6,6 mm. 

Therefore had to prepare an insert 9,6 mm long, and remove 3 mm of the metal leg.

I am aware, that the actual difference was 4,5", which in scale is not exactly equal to 6,6 mm, but about 3 mm less...  but that's the actual difference between the SAC legs and the 1:32nd scale legs, at least I think so ;), and what's more important, it matches the size of the gear covers, according to the plans I have.

That's how it looks like, together with new landing gear covers.

uVciQ2.jpg

uWH5aV.jpg

This small black item is the CMK's Mk. II gyro gunsight. Beautiful. 

Best regards

Hubert

Edited by Kendzior

I'm so impressed with the work you're doing on this one, Hubert! Great stuff.

Kev

No kidding, I totally agree with Kev, the detail work in the wheel well is so precise.....I LOVE this...I have this kit in my stash, and now , I have something to follow I might try to give it a go......maybe....

Beautiful work through and through, Hubert.

In fairness, I am surprised you use the SAC parts at all for the gear. For an angled landing gear like the Spitfire's, I'd be afraid to see the soft white metal bend outside over time. Hopefully your plastic inserts will contribute to actually reinforce the gear.

Keep it coming :popcorn:

Hubert

Beautiful work through and through, Hubert.

In fairness, I am surprised you use the SAC parts at all for the gear. For an angled landing gear like the Spitfire's, I'd be afraid to see the soft white metal bend outside over time. Hopefully your plastic inserts will contribute to actually reinforce the gear.

Keep it coming :popcorn:

Hubert

Actually, metal alloy used by SAC in this set isn't so soft.

Even drilling holes for the rod reinforcing the joints wasn't easy.

Will see, if i doesn't work, I will scratch-build new gear legs.

Thanks for all the nice comments, Mates :)

Best regards

Hubert

• 4 weeks later...