Taking the Plunge: Kitty Hawk P-39 Airacobra WIP

quang

Hello everyone, 

This is my first posting so let me introduce myself.

My name is Quang. I've been modelling aircraft since the early sixties. Then came a 20-year hiatus when I took up sculpting and painting figures. Now I'm getting back to my first love: things that fly.

I love doing cockpits and interiors. I like subjects with an interesting history. Uneventful builds annoy me. I like kits that fight back. So I guess the Kitty Hawk P-39 is a natural choice. 

The kit itself comes as a pleasant surprise. Delicate surface detail, well moulded, no distorted part,…. So let's waste no time and tackle the main controversy about this kit: the fuselage length.

As the nose is in several parts, we need to assemble at least one half of the entire fuselage in order to check out its length. The operation went on smoothly even if several parts were simply butt-joined. A testimony to KH precise engineering.

My main reference is a near-perfect, distorsion-free profile picture of a 'modern' Airacobra blown up to 1/32 scale (distance from the front end –sans spinner– to the tail post on the print-out is 255 mm as opposed to the publicised Bell data of 254,35 mm. Not bad in my book).

image_10.jpeg

image_7.jpeg

Welcome!   Please do continue to share, as we love pics around here.   

From what I can extrapilate, the KHM P-39 was not released in the order it actually came out in; meaning although the KHM P-39 is a  release that has recently been release by them, IIRC I believe the release was much later than when the kit was actually produced.  IE, the P-39 was one of the first new gen 32nd kits KHM produced, and as such KHM have learned a few things since this kit was actually produced, so it might not have some of the "fixes" that the newer KHM kits have. 

Welcome Quang !

I'm pretty sure you lenght comparison will make several members discussing ! :)

Its been talked to death TBH. Id say if one wants to make the correction, go for it...........and it one just "wants to build it" then I think it would turn out fine looking for the majority of modelers. 

Edited by Out2gtcha

I'm well aware of the heated debate concerning the fuselage length as well as the outright debunking of the kit. The built-up model on the KH site looks pretty good if a little pudgy to my eye. And since there's no definite pictural proof on the forums, I had to look by myself.

So here's my reference pic:

image.jpeg

Now with the completed right fuselage half:

image_14.jpeg

Gentlemen, that's what I call a no-brainer.  :P

Guest Peterpools

guang

Welcome aboard :post1:

and a very nice start on the P-39. Looking forward to following your build with great interest.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thank you guys for your warm welcome and your support in this project. Now read on.

My method for lengthening the fuselage is unorthodox but it will hopefully save me the pitfalls of the conventional ones. Needless to say I learned a lot from the other members' builds, notably Martin.

I started to work on the right-hand half-fuselage checking constantly with the print-out for alignment etc… It's very important to keep the mating surface of the half-fuselage perfectly flat to avoid distortion when mating the two fuselage halves together.

Instead of making a straight vertical cut, I opted for a staggered cut. It will hopefully save me from cutting through the wing root and having to reshape it afterwards. The cut is made in 3 steps. The 2 vertical steps using a rasor saw and the final horizontal step by scoring with a X-Acto blade.

image_6.jpeg

image_1.jpeg