Trumpeter's F-105G - What do I need to know?

AnthonyWan

The only experience I have with GT Resin products is the various upgrade sets I have purchased for the Tamiya F-16, whilst I havent used them yet as though the F-16 was initially high up the to do pile its gradually been forced further down by other purchases. However I have looked over the parts and checked the fit of the larger pieces such as the intake and I'm more than happy with fit to kit parts. I'll also add that all parts were cast flawlessly. Dispatch was quick, communications were excellent regarding some questions I had and furthermore the items were very well packed up for their transatlantic adventure. I'll buy with confidence in the future should GT Resin produce any bits I need for my builds.

Well, when you do something for people who you don't know that no one else will and you are criticized for it,  how should one react?  From my perspective 'Your Stuff Sucks" is exactly what he said.   IF you had read the entire thread you will see that I ignored Anthony's initial comment.   But when Kevin chimed in for no reason I do take exception to that as I have politely and professionally stated.  Now if I attacked your work based on what someone said would you not take it as I did?  IF you don't have that kind of pride of workmanship then you sir need to reevaluate.   Perhaps I should not care what people say and just let the standards of conduct, manners an common politeness further erode.   DOn't worry though, neither you nor Anthony ever have to concern yourself with using our products.

Really? I did read the whole thing and did not take it like you did. And yes I have had replies like this and I certainly did not get defensively. But I'm not you and your not me so I'll leave it at that.

Gents, I suggest we move on from the personalities and try to focus on the products.

I have listed a number of reviews I did of Gary's products in a previous post. Yes, they were provided as review samples, so to some that may make my reviews tainted. I have no issue with that. Without samples, a site like Aeroscale/Kitmaker Netowk can't exist. I don't think personally it's any reflection on LSP whether it reviews GT's products or not. Reviewers are hard to find (I know, I was an editor at Armorama for some time and had to scare up reviewers who were reliable AND COULD WRITE DECENT ENGLISH). If samples aren't provided, you pretty much rely on the serendipity of someone's interests, and many products don't get reviewed at all.

The final word in my opinion on Gary's items for me is that they're available for purchase.

Cutting Edge, whether great or not, ain't anymore. Several of the other resin burner can and intakes companies are often OOS. So frequently Gary is the only game in town. I'm happy with his stuff, and was not aware of any issues. Your mileage may vary.

Really? I did read the whole thing and did not take it like you did. And yes I have had replies like this and I certainly did not get defensively. But I'm not you and your not me so I'll leave it at that.

Yes really.  So if I understand  you correctly, expecting opinions either good or bad to be based in first hand fact vs second hand gossip and hearsay is not Ok with you.   People should be happy to be discussed this way am I correct.  Expecting a fair shake is not being defensive, it is called pride in workmanship and a reasonable expectation of a normal human.  It is shame others have not treated you fairly.  What do you make for sale anyhow?

Guest Clunkmeister

Agree with Bill. I've used Gary's parts exclusively when I need it on the occasional j...j...j...j (stil can't say the word) I might build, and they worked perfectly. I've had no issue recommending them, matter of fact I did so last week to a club member, so I think very highly of them..

'nuff said.

Wow. I Think if Gary had simply said, "Dear OP, I understand that you have questions about my products, I'd like to take this opportunity to ask LSPers who have bought and used my products to chime in, and give you an unbiased opinion of what I sell.", I would have been the first to say, "His stuff is great, and he goes out of his way to make sure that his customers are satisfied. I have some of his F-105 stuff, amazing work. Especially his one-piece burner, I still wonder how he did it." But now, after reading these needlessly defensive posts, the OP will probably shy away, and both of you will be poorer for it.

Spot on Lee.

Tony, buff that casting line down starting with 800 grit then move up to 1200 and then 2000. Hit it with some polish and it will be gone!  Just don't gorilla grip the canopy or you will break it.  Holding it while polishing seems to be the hardest part.

The cold seam goes all the way through the F-105G clear parts = replacements needed.

Tony

Wow. I Think if Gary had simply said, "Dear OP, I understand that you have questions about my products, I'd like to take this opportunity to ask LSPers who have bought and used my products to chime in, and give you an unbiased opinion of what I sell.", I would have been the first to say, "His stuff is great, and he goes out of his way to make sure that his customers are satisfied. I have some of his F-105 stuff, amazing work. Especially his one-piece burner, I still wonder how he did it." But now, after reading these needlessly defensive posts, the OP will probably shy away, and both of you will be poorer for it.

Wow yourself Lee.  I sure don't need anyones money, especially yours so no worries about that.  I will actually be better for it.  As for your suggestion, if you can READ THE THREAD WHAT YOU SUGGEST IS EXACTLY WHAT I DID, and to no avail,  I get the Moderator of all people to apologize for not doing reviews of our stuff to protect the members????  It is a shame when People don't even know what hearsay and gossip are and expect those discussed to tolerate it vs. confronting it.  It is interesting that you find confronting gossip/slander to be the wrong position, especially in the absence of Anthony backing up his statements with facts.  

Have a good day Lee

Gary, my friend,

You said, "It is interesting that you find confronting gossip/slander to be the wrong position..."- I only suggested that 'confronting' it, as opposed to using it as a teaching tool, benefits no one. Service with a smile, right? I work in service, I get my share of a$$#0les on a daily basis, and I'm not suggesting you let anyone walk over you. I AM simply suggesting that you step back for a second. Anthony is uneducated about your great product line. That's fine. He said he heard "Mixed reviews", or something to that effect, IIRC.  That's not slander, that's admitting he's not familiar with your products. Slamming him as a 'slanderer' on a forum only makes you look bad- Nobody wants that.

​ As far as "I don't need anybody's money, especially yours", I hope that that it not some sort of Blacklist threat. Look how that worked out for Dave Kaus, he became a laughingstock in the modeling community for it. I look forward to purchasing more stuff from GT as I need it and can afford it.

I truly hope your day is a great one.

Lee,

Thanks for the explanation. I am not a customers service person, and make no apology for that lack of those skills.

I greatly respect those who do, and when I was working always had staff with that skill set to handle those duties.

For the Record, I would never create a Black list of anyone. What I was saying was in response to your comment about making me poorer. Can't happen is all I meant. I agree with you about Krause not being respected, but truthfully have never met him so I reserve any other opinion. Maybe I do take it all to seriously but that is me, I am the way I am so you either like me or not. I take care of business and do the right thing with everyone. All I ask is the same courtesy in return and it seems like people forget this is a hobby and therapy for me, not an income source.

Edited by ghatherly

Whoa guys, first of all I did not post my original questions and statements with ill-intent towards any particular company. My simple goal s to build my F-105 kit - and do so utilizing the best and most efficient combination of kit parts and aftermarket. It's not an aircraft I am familiar with, but one that I've always liked the look of and wanted to add to my collection. 

That being said and having skimmed through most of this thread...

Gary - as a business owner, I would hope that you could stand in my position as a customer and realize my concerns. I want to make purchases from an informed position - I have Googled, read Facebook groups, and chatted with buddies offline who have used your products. And I'll be honest, the feedback was mixed. Some people had great experiences, while others received products that were not as great. This was not meant as slander or otherwise, people talk about how Eduard missiles are always warped, how Aires resin never fits, how Wolfpack Designs parts suffer from crazy shrinkage, and how Black Box parts sometimes don't improve at all upon kit parts. In my recent experiences, I've not had Wolfpack shrinkage issues or lack of Black Box detail. Before I bought those parts, I asked around and consulted others who had used them. I received mixed feedback as well - and I bought them regardless. I made my purchases from a position of being informed on what I was getting into. I posted this thread with the intention of gaining some clarity and some more information - I haven't seen many photos of your F-105 parts online or in-progress builds with them being used. I was hoping that as an active member on the forum, it'd be easy for you (and others) to respond with some photos of the parts and some comments to encourage my purchase. I was originally considering only a couple of individual sets, but a couple of good comments might have pushed me over to go for the full-meal deal. 

Again, I am sorry if I've upset you, but I thought it was important to clarify my position. 

-Anthony 

Anthony,

I have a few of the Thud update parts, including the revised nose, ventral fin, canopy interior bits, and one-piece exhaust. I have not actually used them, they are in the box with the kit for when I eventually do build it. I can comment on the moldings themselves- Molded in dark grey, there are NO bubbles, crap from mold contamination, mold shift, or anything like that. The burner is a work of art. As an aside, when I bought the burner from Gary, I inadvertently received the canopy set..... I emailed Gary, he apologized and sent out the correct part immediately. He even let me keep the canopy set! I haven't purchased the corrected fin/rudder set yet, but I will, and I'm sure it is also up to the same standards. You can buy his products, and know that the stands behind them. My $.02.

This thread makes me wonder if it's time for one of the senior dudes or ladies here to post a thread of "Using Resin Upgrades."

I can say personally that in my experience, not all resin is created equal. And sometimes it's a balancing act between "I thought this would drop right in like a kit part" and "this is the only solution short of scratching it yourself." Some resin upgrades require a LOT of sanding/cutting/filling/cursing to make them fit, and even then it can be a case of "I fought the resin and the resin won."

Given the breadth of experience here, I humbly suggest a tutorial of some kind of resin: how to work with it, what to expect, how to deal with problems, etc.

Sorry, guys, but this exchange of ad hominem isn't why most of us log on here unless it's folks who like to watch a train wreck. I asked above that we tamp down the personal, but it seems to be continuing.

Guest Clunkmeister

Anthony, for an F-105, I'd say the GT Super Set is an absolute necessity. It corrects a couple fuselage issues, the nose issue, and the huge problem with the fin.

The Trumpeter kit, unfortunately, is chock full or errors. Big errors. I'm no big kerosene burner fanboy. but I sure love the big Thud.

I've used GT stuff plenty, as have friends, and nobody's ever had issues. But the best part is that the Company stands behind the products 100% If you have an issue, even if you caused it, they'll replace the parts at no charge other than shipping.

A while ago I bought an F-18B conversion. The Avionix kit. The castings are crazy shallow, with, IMHO, only the tail fins being useable. In the end, I'll end up buying two QB seats and scratching a rear panel for it.

I'm fairly certain that such a horrible example of resin casting would have never left the GT shop.

I'm looking forward to your 105 build. It's a big ol' hulking monster that looks good when done.  Of all the models I've looked at these last few years, I'd say the F-105 is easily the one model I've seen done badly.

ie: horrible paint looking like it was done with a roller and weathered with a trowel, misaligned parts, sprung landing gear, droopy stuff, etc.

So I'm looking to see a great build here on LSP.

Edited by Clunkmeister