S-3B Viking - scratchbuilt

Starfighter

I am very happy to have finally found this thread. Wonderful work. Model building in its' truest form.  I like the way you approach and then solve problems and...there's a dog!!  Can't go wrong.

BTW,if you want a REALLY smart dog,get yourself an English Springer Spaniel.  I swear my female pet read the newspaper while I was not at home.

J

• 3 weeks later...

Small update - some progress on the cockpit. As you can see, my work isn't very neat in this area. I've already puttied and sanded the whole thing, now I am looking forward to seeing it with a coat of primer.

IMG_4567.jpg

And a look at the surface details. It needs some cleaning up and I need to add some vents here and there. 

IMG_4568.jpg

This is just insane... I don't mind a bit of scratch-building here and there but this is a whole new level.

You're not a model maker - you're a magician!

Simply stunning craftsmanship - it's a joy to watch.

Tom

Seconded on all counts!

Kev

I'm really overwhelmed by your kind comments, thank you very much again! Mark, you didn't miss a step - on my other builds, I always covered the entire model with automotive putty and sanded it down. I have skipped this that this time. I just soaked the foam with superglue, sanded it doen and then added quite many coats of automotive filler (the yellow-greenish stuff you can see on earlier pics) before scribing the model. 

This is just insane... I don't mind a bit of scratch-building here and there but this is a whole new level.

You're not a model maker - you're a magician!

Simply stunning craftsmanship - it's a joy to watch.

Tom

Thirded!

Thank you all, I really appreciate your kind comments! 

When it comes to modeling speed, I think I am rather slow in general, but I agree, the Viking seems to grow quite quickly. That's because the assembly is rather straightforward - the lasercut parts also help as I don't have to cut every piece by hand. Then, I am getting more used to 'my' building method which also eases the progress. My main problem still is missing time. In fact, there hasn't been much progress since 6 weeks or so. I really hope to get some more bench time soon.

Edited by Starfighter

• 4 weeks later...

Progress! :) Finally managed to get some benchtime again on Sunday. I've spent most of the day reworking groove lines (still not happy, though) and adding surface details. I re-did the lightning conductors on the radome and added the radome fasteners. I also finally found a PE mesh I cut into shape to fit that small elliptic air exhaust in front of the APU. The latter was also scratchbuilt.

e7ae76c1-3034-46e0-ac1e-f667f790afa4.jpg

Gear and armament bays were covered with plastic sheet (nothing to see here yet) and the ejection seat rails were fitted. I am glad the Aires ESCAPACs fit, so it seems that I scaled my plans more or less properly! :)

IMG_3773.jpg

Closer look at the APU exhaust:

IMG_3780.jpg

And a little shot with the entry hatch in place to keep me motivated. 

IMG_3774.jpg

Next step: further enhancement of the groove lines, adding cockpit and wheel bay detail. Then: wings! I am currently working on the wingfolds. These will be 3D printed along with one engine... once the budget allows it! :)

I also need to think about the canopy. The master should be no problem, but it's quite a big part to vacuform. We'll see how this will turn out...

Progress! :) Finally managed to get some benchtime again on Sunday. I've spent most of the day reworking groove lines (still not happy, though) and adding surface details. I re-did the lightning conductors on the radome and added the radome fasteners. I also finally found a PE mesh I cut into shape to fit that small elliptic air exhaust in front of the APU. The latter was also scratchbuilt.

e7ae76c1-3034-46e0-ac1e-f667f790afa4.jpg

Gear and armament bays were covered with plastic sheet (nothing to see here yet) and the ejection seat rails were fitted. I am glad the Aires ESCAPACs fit, so it seems that I scaled my plans more or less properly! :)

IMG_3773.jpg

Closer look at the APU exhaust:

IMG_3780.jpg

And a little shot with the entry hatch in place to keep me motivated. 

IMG_3774.jpg

Next step: further enhancement of the groove lines, adding cockpit and wheel bay detail. Then: wings! I am currently working on the wingfolds. These will be 3D printed along with one engine... once the budget allows it! :)

I also need to think about the canopy. The master should be no problem, but it's quite a big part to vacuform. We'll see how this will turn out...

Could you crush form it like you did on the F5 canopy? Or at last tare it in pieces and form it all together on the frame if you know what I mean...

looks great Ben love this!

Cheers

Fred