Dewoitine D.520

vvwse4

Allright, cannot help myself, count me in. Building the Azur D.520. Was looking for an excuse too make this one. Do not have the box.

kit001.jpg

kit002.jpg

Want it to look like this

img0.jpg

or this

img1.jpg

A little info about the pilot

Pierre LeGloan is the third-ranking ace in the French Air Force during WW2. He claimed a strange bag of victories. In May 1940 he shot down 4 German fighters during the Blitzkrieg, and 2 probablies, later he went to the Italian front where he downed 7 Fiats. Later after the end of the battle of France he went to the Vichy side where he fought English planes. He downed 7 British planes when he was flying over Syria. He was killed in a crash with a P39 when he was fighting on the allied side after the capitulation of the Vichy French.

legloan01-1.jpg

Remarkable story.

Rick.

Cool choice Rick! I had fun building this one for the Box Stock Derby a while back. Gotta love that crazy pilot! The wing dihedral is a bit tricky but I cut the top wing section about 1.5mm short for the wing to fuselage joint and that set the dihedral to my liking. Other than that, it was a good kit. Have fun and you have to do the "slaves pajamas" paint scheme. It is too good to pass up!

Matt

I got started on this one. I used some pics of Matts build to pimp the cockpit a little bit. After some paint it will be a lot nicer.

start001-1.jpg

start002-1.jpg

Could't get the last one rotated.

And a taped some parts together for a dryfit. Got some fitting issues allready

start003-1.jpg

start004-1.jpg

start005-1.jpg

I have gotten myself involved in three projects right now. I am no woman so multitasking is out of the question. Wonder what I will screw up this time.. :P

Rick.

Hi Rick,

I don't know what you'll srcew up this time :P , but make sure it is not the wings.

They're not only ill fitting but have a tendency to flatten the dihedral.

Good luck with this build! I'll follow it.

Cheers,

Peter

Good luck with this one Rick!

Looks like this one needs a bit more love and care than a Trumpeter or Hasegawa kit!

Haven't built an Azur kit yet, but the plastic looks pretty soft.

Sure you'll do a great job!

Jeroen

Ahhhhhhh, memories! What fun it was to fill and sand and fill and sand and fill...

I don't recall having quite that bad a fit on the wing but it was a treat. As Peter said, the dihedral is the tough part. Lots of test fitting and then I hit it with CA and accelerator while holding everything in place with my four hands. Be careful with my build for the cockpit colors, I can't quite recall what my references were. ;)

Keep the pics coming. I did have fun with this kit and it looks nice hanging from the ceiling of my shop!

Matt

Put some blue paint on it, Humbrol#15 which should be night blue, whatever colour that may be. Looks pritty dark too me but it is only the first layer of colour.

start006-1.jpg

start007-1.jpg

start008-1.jpg

Rick.

• 2 weeks later...

Been buzzy for a while but managed to do the cockpit. I wonder if anything of this will show when ready.

start010-1.jpg

start011-1.jpg

start013-1.jpg

start014-1.jpg

There is something in the lens of the camera.

Does anyone knows if there is a way too make a open canopy? I have tried cutting and sawing but on both occasions I screwed up the canopy.

Hope you like it so far.

Rick.