Kobayashi's Tony

big matt

These group builds are great fun so I went through the four kits left in my stash and pulled this one out. Fits the bill as it even comes with a metal Kobayashi and brass gun barrels and something that is a bit disturbing, a pilot tube, in brass no less. :unsure:

This will be my second Japanese aircraft ever so wish me luck!!!

2627004-1.jpg

I am still working on my 262 but this was crying to be done.

Matt

Got a little work done in between plumbing jobs. Some wire here, some plastic there and voila, messy cockpit!

I referred to some of the pictures in Mikesh's Japanes A/c Interiors and some stuff I found online. It seems as though this serial number for Kobayashi had the nose guns removed and had his preferential venturi driven instruments

The oxygen flow instruments were missing from the kit cockpit so they got stuck in there on the right fuselage half. I have to make an equipment bag for the blanked out spot on the right upper side of the fuselage panel. It is missing on the kit. I just love getting Milliput all over my hands. ;)

ki612007.jpg

I offset some of the levers for the hydraulic actuator box on the left side. The kit wanted the rear instruments mounted flat but they looked angled in some of the pictures I had seen. I also added the throttle linkage and the left and right hand canopy release levers. The left side also got a cockpit light.

ki612011.jpg

The kit seat got thinned down a bit and some rivets put in the pan. I have to make up some lap belts but will try to get that done next. The cockpit vent tubing needed to be installed also. The styrene above the instrument panel is for what looked like a clock. Also added an oil tank and struts behind the rear cockpit bulkhead.

ki612002.jpg

That's enough for now. Thanks for any constructive comments as Japanese aircraft are a bit confusing for me.

Matt

Added the wiring for the top panel instruments and some gizmology for the area below the missing guns. I have some more work to do in this area to busy things up.

ki612003.jpg

Fiddled around with cockpit clutter a bit more. I think that is about it for this one. Fit the fuse halves together to see how it looks and took a few pics.

Doctored up the control stick with some flattened solder and a gun button cover that I saw in a picture.

ki613003.jpg

Made the bag from Tamiya Epoxy Putty which was waaaaay easier to work with than Milliput.

ki613004.jpg

Seat belts a cut from the foil of a recently finished bottle of rum. :rolleyes:

From the picture I have seen, it looked like the belts were attached to the inside of the seat pan.

ki613005.jpg

I think most of the junk on the deck in front of the instrument panel will be hidden but we will see.

ki613007.jpg

Still have to put the fuel regulator in the spine behind the seat back armor, but she's pretty much ready to prime and paint. I am trying to decide on what color to use. RLM 79, Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow or a nice German Panzer color by Gunze called Green-Brown which looks like a more tan khaki. Grrrrr. Oh well, I am finding that is the fun with Japanese subjects.

That's it for now, time to go for a hike!

Matt

Bwhahahaha!, Here I thought you were using 'smoke & mirrors'; when it's really "Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!" ;) Dadgummit Matt, are you showing off again with all those fancy doohickeys and what-nots cluttering up your cockpits again?! :P I was looking at that stuff you had under the gunsight behind the IP,...and it looked like you were adding fiber-optics or sumpin. I'm going to have to work out a deal with ya, to bargain for all those pilots you never use. :rolleyes: :P Heh heh. Looking magnificent as usual buddy, keep the updates coming!

Great detailing work Matt! Coming along nicely.

I am trying to decide on what color to use. RLM 79, Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow or a nice German Panzer color by Gunze called Green-Brown which looks like a more tan khaki.

Last year I built the Otaki/Arii 1/48 Tony kit, and used Gunze's RLM 79, and I have to say I didn't like it for the job. Too dark and too 'brown'. I can't tell you what colour you should use though!

Kev

Bwhahahaha!, Here I thought you were using 'smoke & mirrors'; when it's really "Yo-ho-ho, and a bottle of rum!" :(

Hahaha!Russ, rum is the secret! When that is not available vodka or bourbon will do. :huh:

Kevin, you are right, the RLM 79 looks a bit brown for me too. I ended up going with the Tamiya XF-59 desert yellow. I read on j-aircraft that the tan color was closer to what the Luftwaffe used in Africa which was closer to an Italian color than RLM 79. I am sure my crappy photography does not help. I have grown fond of my neutral cement driveway background though.

ki-614013.jpg

ki-614012.jpg

I have been experimenting with some new (to me) weathering and am not sure if it is looking too "comic book-ish". Weird.

The I.P. detail was a little bit softer than the KI-84 or the P-47.

ki-614011.jpg

ki-614010.jpg

ki-614008.jpg

Here she is with the fuselage taped up.

ki-614007.jpg

ki-614005.jpg

ki-614002.jpg

I might have to put Kobayashi-san together to start overseeing this project. Rocky and Russ have been an adverse influence on my modeling. ;)

That's it for now.