Revell MkIX to MK XII

Steve Eagle

No need to be cheeky,  point taken.  Made under license by Trumpeter for Hobby Boss.

You misunderstand Ron ... I wasn't being cheeky - I was actually asking if there was an unknown (to me) Trumpeter kit out there!

Rog :)

I wasn't aware there WAS a Trumpeter Kit?? ... I've never seen one in my 1/32 hunts online!

Could you provide the kit/product number? ... If, on the other hand, you're referring to the Hobbyboss kit - don't bother ... false alarm!

oh yes - I mean hobbyboss. oops!

oh yes - I mean hobbyboss. oops!

Damn ... For a while there I thought (hoping really) I'd missed one (I've seen Trumpeter kits in 1/24) ... I already have the Hobbyboss kit.

Oh well, the wallet is safe for a little while longer ... thanks!

Elger,do you think the Revell MK.IX wing would mate up to the Hasegawa/Grey Matter fuselage? Thanks.

if it's anything like the wing of the Mk II kit it'll be difficult. It's broader in chord, and the lines where it attaches to the fuselage don't match up.

Here a photo of an old Hasegawa fuselage with the new Revell mk II wing:

DSC_6572_zpsqkvconpl.jpg

As I mentioned, Hasegawa, Tamiya and Hobbyboss are much more compatible (still small differences) - Revell seems to be the odd one out.

Random inserted question here ... Is the Hasegawa Mk.Vb old tool or new-er tool?? ... Re-tooled even??

I know where I can get access to a couple at a reasonable price and was wondering if it was worth it?

The Hobbyboss has the weirdest fuselage cross sections though......

True, but if you wanted a nice Vb you could attach the Hobbyboss wings to a Tamiya fuselage. Nose is a bit tricky but the Hobbyboss nose parts could probably be made to fit...

The Hasegawa 1/32 Spit Vb dates from 1979. The Mk.II variant was the basic Mk.Vb kit with an "a" wing tooled in the early 1990s. The latter has nicely engraved detail, while the former has nicely done raised panel lines.

I remember buying the Revell rebox of the Hasegawa I/II kit in 2003 and it was new then - so the A-wing was tooled in the late 90s or early 00s I think. You are absolutely correct on the engraved detail of that wing - it's superb.

Edited by Elger

In case anyone's interested, this evening I took some photos of various wing/fuselage combinations.

First up, Hobbyboss V fuselage and Hasegawa I/II wing:

DSC_6574_zpsgavwjuk0.jpg

Next: Hasegawa I/II/V fuselage with Hobbyboss Vb wing:

DSC_6577_zpsjgfeqolr.jpg

Next: Tamiya IX fuselage with Hobbyboss Vb wing. Notice the small difference at the wing root:

DSC_6578_zpst9egpzfd.jpg

Next: Tamiya IX fuselage with Hasegawa I/II wing:

DSC_6579_zpsgqtbklff.jpg

Finally: Hobbyboss V fuselage with Tamiya IXc wing:

DSC_6580_zps6te9szlr.jpg

I hope this is helpful!

while I'm at it - let's have a look at the noses.

Here is the Hobbyboss V nose panel on top of the Tamiya IX nose panel. Obvious intentional length difference but the dimensions and shapes at the back are very similar:

DSC_6582_zpshxca0igr.jpg

Here is the Hobbyboss V nose panel on top of the Hasegawa I/II/V fuselage - also very similar. Notice that the nose length is just about the same:

DSC_6585_zpstpqivto6.jpg

Here is the Hobbyboss V nose panel on top of the Revell I/II fuselage. Notice how the Revell nose seems to be slightly bigger in every direction. The length has been discussed before, but the Revell nose is also taller:

DSC_6587_zps1nspo58a.jpg

This tallness is also noticeable if you place the Tamiya IX nose panel over it:

DSC_6588_zpskhtha2sj.jpg

Now the Grey Matter nose seen here could be made to fit the front section of the Revell wing with some work:

DSC_6589_zps0ze7bdxc.jpg

But as the final photo illustrates, the Revell fuselage tallness would make fitting it very tricky indeed - notice how even as the Grey Matter nose is propped up just a little to make the wing roots line up the Revell fuselage on the right is still considerably taller.

DSC_6598_zpslgktolem.jpg

Again, I hope that me posting this is helpful - I hope this will save someone some money :)

Hi Elgar I liked your article and your constructive critism of my MKXII conversion , you are correct the cowl is at least 5mm to short , hands up guilty as charged .... there are two reasons for the error the first was scaling up 1/72 drawings  ,as it turns out the were about a couple of mm short the other is that the resin I was using has also caused the shrinkage of the cowl by another couple of mm .

I have rebuilt the MKXIV cowl to the correct size and will rework the MKXII next week to the correct dimensions ,I have also reworked and reshaped the rocker covers so no overhang . I am now using a different resin which has no shrinkage problem . I assume that you have one of my cowls ,if you send me your address I will send you a replacement as soon as I have them available .

This offer also stands for other people who purchased my conversion kit . regards Jim .

Hi Elgar I liked your article and your constructive critism of my MKXII conversion , you are correct the cowl is at least 5mm to short , hands up guilty as charged .... there are two reasons for the error the first was scaling up 1/72 drawings  ,as it turns out the were about a couple of mm short the other is that the resin I was using has also caused the shrinkage of the cowl by another couple of mm .

I have rebuilt the MKXIV cowl to the correct size and will rework the MKXII next week to the correct dimensions ,I have also reworked and reshaped the rocker covers so no overhang . I am now using a different resin which has no shrinkage problem . I assume that you have one of my cowls ,if you send me your address I will send you a replacement as soon as I have them available .

This offer also stands for other people who purchased my conversion kit . regards Jim .

That's really great news Jim! I'll gladly pay for a new version, no worries.

I am wondering if you're also looking into the lower cowl panel? With your first XII nose the lower panel line where it matches with the side panels it's curved - it looks to me like it should be a straight line?

Hi Elgar yes the line should be straight ..I made the MKXVI first and used  a copy of this reshaped but did not notice that this line was no longer slightly curved but straight . This wikll be corrected to regards jim .