Revell P-51D - Great, or merely Good, or ??

CANicoll

WOW !!   This has been really amusing..

My takeaway from all of this is,  not being a  "mustang guy", I would not pay big bucks for the others.

But I will build one of these kits, maybe a couple.  It looks and sounds like a real nice kit at a bargain price'

I do appreciate seeing all of the  Potential problem areas,if they exist; most seem easy to avoid or correct..

I guess it depends whether you are an assembler,  modeler, ,or a novice  LOL.          Cheers   Ernie

I'm almost done with the cockpit assembly on my two at once build.  Revel went out of their way to produce a lot of small parts that could have been incorporated into the main sides instead of adding each and every piece. I think they were trying to increase parts count to make the model look more advanced on paper.

I'm almost done with the cockpit assembly on my two at once build.  Revel went out of their way to produce a lot of small parts that could have been incorporated into the main sides instead of adding each and every piece. I think they were trying to increase parts count to make the model look more advanced on paper.

Now, As those parts are often on the sprue with the non-filleted tail, my assumption is those bits will be different on the later 'plane

Richard

Now, As those parts are often on the sprue with the non-filleted tail, my assumption is those bits will be different on the later 'plane

Richard

You're most likely correct as the various IFF, instrumentation and Radio equipment changes varied with later block Mustangs.

My Mustang finally arrived...I had been waiting and waiting for Roll Models...my take is, very nice kit. Some of the excitement wind was taken out of my sails, as the box had obviously been damaged a little, and one of the machine gun wing inserts was off the sprue and broken in half. It can be fixed, I just wasn't expecting to find  a broken piece in the box.

Still, a very nice kit and I can't wait to build it.

• 2 weeks later...

one of the machine gun wing inserts was off the sprue and broken in half. 

This is one of the solutions Radu offered to improving the fit of these parts (not breaking it, but cutting that part in two along the panel line...)

Revell boxes seem to rely on the contents for about 75% of their rigidity.. :)

Matt

Joined the fuselage halves together on both kits last night. Poor fit!  Now don't get me wrong, it wasn't that bad, just typical Revell.  Nothing as good a Tamiya fit.  I had to filed down a lot of the edges where the cockpit assembly fits inside the tabs.  Even width on the cockpit assy was keeping the fuselage halves from closing up properly.  Had to take it down about .020 on the edges.

Is it good enough for the price point? Damned straight it is.

I did make a modification I need to post photos of. My phone was on charge last night when I did this, so I didn't get pics. 

The part behind the spinner that seals up the front of the fuselage, I cut the intake on the bottom off and glued in on.  After painting I can insert the exhaust stacks this way and then seal up the front and move on.