F-5 Tiger II VFC-111 Sundowners

PhilB

This will be my humble offering in awe of the present company on this group build.

I intend building this OOB with the exception of the TwoBobs decal sheet which gives me a few extra scheme options.

Always liked the F5 so I thought I'd give it a go.

Getting a bit fed up with all the usual research/am stuff etc etc so time for pure old fashioned building!

post-13803-1274180693.jpg

Russ, this one's for you!

Phil :speak_cool:

Nice choice Phil. I know what you mean about being fed up with research too. I get fed up before I begin! I just want to bash plastic, and doing research feels like...homework.

Kev

Thanks Kev,

Yup, just spent the last hour just gluing stuff together. Its either the fumes from the glue or the liberation of doing it just as Mr Hasegawa says but either way its FUN!

Phil :speak_cool:

This will be my humble offering in awe of the present company on this group build.

I intend building this OOB with the exception of the TwoBobs decal sheet which gives me a few extra scheme options.

Always liked the F5 so I thought I'd give it a go.......... time for pure old fashioned building!

Russ, this one's for you!

Phil :D

Yup, just spent the last hour just gluing stuff together. Its either the fumes from the glue or the liberation of doing it just as Mr Hasegawa says but either way its FUN!

Phil :evil_laugh:

I now know the feeling :thumbsup:

Great choice of subject Phil. I think I have one of these tucked away somewhere so I'll be paying particular attention to how it all goes together.

:thumbsup:

I love the F-5 and can't wait to see you work some magic on this kit. Don't you just feel like doing a little research though... :punk:

Matt, Thanks for the kind comments. With regard to the research matter I decided to add a pilot to the build as it only came with a standing figure.

It also fills up the pit which is pretty bare. I had a couple of spares from my current Tomcat build so I used one of those.

When I told him about your comment, this was his reaction:

P5190845.jpg

As the good book says "Get behind me satan!"

Phil :)

Thats to damn Funny! I know someplace Russ is laughin too! Great choice Phil.

Paul

:) <--coz they dont have the one fingered salute emoticon...

Matt, Thanks for the kind comments. With regard to the research matter I decided to add a pilot to the build as it only came with a standing figure.

It also fills up the pit which is pretty bare. I had a couple of spares from my current Tomcat build so I used one of those.

When I told him about your comment, this was his reaction:

P5190845.jpg

As the good book says "Get behind me satan!"

Phil :punk:

Ahem! As can be seen from my previous post I have decided to add a pilot which is a spare from my F-14 build.

The pit is actually not bad at all and should look Ok with a bit of careful painting.

The IP is also pretty good

P5190843.jpg

I usually get around painting dials by using stuff from those nice folks at Eduard but as its strictly OOB then we'll see how I get on.

General shape and fit is pretty good:

P5190851.jpg

The wing to fuse joint could be a problem although I havent fixed the intake scoops yet which might sort it.

It looks like its meant to be pretty flat dihedral wise and that's the road I'm taking unless any of you fellas know otherwise if so please speak.

Looks like a previous version had an opened gun bay as there is a moulded cannon in the kit which is shown as not being used.

P5190850.jpg

Out with the paint (once I've converted the colour codes to something I understand like Humbrol/White Ensign!)

More soon.

Phil :punk:

AWESOME!

I love that pilot Phil. Perfect. My 110 is going to have a crew as well. I really want to have them sleeping on the wing or something. Problem is I sent every last pilot I had to Russ a long time ago. The only one I kept, or painted for that matter was this crazy French guy I put in my D520.

He looks scared...

d520-1-3009.jpg

I'm not quite sure what he's gong to do with that hand either.

I'm not quite sure what he's gong to do with that hand either.

Waaaa! I've never done surgery on a 1/32 hand before, getting the fingers bent over was a grin!

Your fella does look like he should be grippin' something especially with that facial expression!

Looks like you'll have to scratch something there!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Got the IP painted, had to lose the rudder pedals as my pilot's legs were too long. Decided this was a better option than cutting his feet off.

Did the base colours then dry brushed with silver then picked out the dials and switches.

Used Micro Krystal Clear to simulate lenses. Normally use a 0.1mm waterbased ink pen for my ejector handles but it was too big for the emergency handles here. Scratched lines with a fine needle then used the pen to fiill them in.

Not good close up but gives the effect from normal viewing distance.

P5240869.jpg

Put the rest of the cockpit together. Dry brushed the seat and emergency handles with silver to simulate a bit of wear, doesn't show very well in the photos.

I'm pretty satisfied considering its totally OOB with no aftermarket goodies or scratchy stuff.

Off now to paint my "rude" pilot.

P5240883.jpg

P5240880.jpg

P5240888.jpg

Later,

Phil