Problem with AK Interactive chipping fluid

Fooesboy

Hey guys,

As the title suggests I'm having a spot of bother with the chipping fluid, when I spray my top coat over the chipping fluid (Tamiya thinned with X20a) I am getting a crazy cracked surface.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Chris

Sure did, 3 coats of fluid and left for a couple of hours.

Interestingly, the yellow looks great its the green where I am having the most trouble.

Going to bed now but will post a photo tomorrow.

Ive got that effect ......two reasons.

Old AK schipping fluid it is sligtly to thick so to thick layer....two to much paint at the time...better build.layers....

As in my case eded up as a redoo....

So try a new bottle..and two mist layers...

Hope it helps...

/Mal

Cheers Mal,

This is a brand new bottle I picked up while on holiday in Japan.... Can't find it here!

I did find it rather thick for spraying and thought the fluid was not coating very well at all, it was quite lumpy but seamed to self level as it dried.

Does anyone know if it can be thinned?

Chris

There are several AK chipping fluid...

One normal and obe Heavy....

Ive foundnthat the heavy is worse and more thick....it rubs thru AB but bad...the normal one is like water and atomizes much better......

As ive discded one bittle of AK normal chipping fluid cause it were to rhick....opened another one and far better.

/Mal

Great, thanks a lot!

Looks like I will need to strip and try again.

I have the worn effects as well that I will try next, I am thinking on the cockpit floor where the pilots feet would be.

Avoid AK Heavy chipping fluid if youre after a smooth fine surface, it affects paintcoat and doesnt look smooth at all....get more rugged look....

It works great on tanks that got a more rugged surface for the beginning..but aircraft....no .

That is my opinion.

/Mal

Your picture tells me that you #1) airbrushed on way too much chipping fluid (a single coat will suffice, you want the look to be somewhat "lumpy" and not smooth before drying). and #2) you airbrushed on way too much Tamiya paint which caused the cracking effect as it dried over the too thick layer of chipping fluid. It sometimes takes a bit of practice to get both amounts correct so don't be afraid to strip it all off and try again. With the heavy chipping coat, it should all come off pretty easily after a good soak in water and not damage the silver base paint layer. 

• 2 months later...