Okay guys, deal me in. (Revell F4F-4)

wingman777

I was going to do the Hasegawa F6F but was still scrounging for stuff I needed. The Wildcat is ready to build so I"ll run with it.

This kit is under-rated and with a few aftermarket goodies I prefer it over the Trumpeter. Talk is cheap, let the glue and painting begin.

Cool!

Welcome aboard!

Thanks guys, I see Greg (Spad 57) is doing the same kit so I don't want to "copycat" his Wildcat. I plan to do an early -4 with the red and white stripes on the rudder or a Wake defender. The surface detail of the kit is a bit overstated but if you've seen one in person you know the panel lines and rivets are very pronounced when compared to other WWII planes. The Trumpeter kit has more and better parts detail overall but to my eyes the Revell kit just looks right. Hate to say it but I feel the same way about their Corsair kit. I'll get some images on here soon.

Thanks guys, I see Greg (Spad 57) is doing the same kit so I don't want to "copycat" his Wildcat. I plan to do an early -4 with the red and white stripes on the rudder or a Wake defender. The surface detail of the kit is a bit overstated but if you've seen one in person you know the panel lines and rivets are very pronounced when compared to other WWII planes. The Trumpeter kit has more and better parts detail overall but to my eyes the Revell kit just looks right. Hate to say it but I feel the same way about their Corsair kit. I'll get some images on here soon.

Wingman,

Welcome aboard,I glad you've decided to build the old Revell Wildcat.I too have thing for those old Revell kits.

Regards,

Gregory Jouette

Still making slow progress but much of it looks just like what Greg (Spad 57) is doing with his Wildcat build. I've got the wings all glued up now and have sanded the fabric covered (moving) surfaces to subdue the overdone detail. Hopefully a coat or two of primer will make it all look more to scale. I've worked out a good solution to the open gun ports the Revell kits leaves you with. The kit wheels look anemic so I'm using the True Details resin wheels for the 1/48 Helldiver. They're the same diameter but have better detail and are a little thicker. I've borrowed my wifes camera and I don't have to work tomorrow (Friday) so I"ll be sure to post images of what I"ve got done so far. :lol:

it's funny how many of us have a warm feeling in the pit of our stomachs when it comes to the old revell kits! i remember a (good) few years ago paying ludicrous amounts for corsairs, typhoons and mossies etc. when they had been out of production for so long and were 'collectors' kits. is it just that many of us 'cut teeth' on them way back---good though they generally are-----they are, for the most part, bettered now----or is it cost--not insignificant perhaps as the cheap price allows budget for aftermarket goodies. just wondering. by the way, will they ever re-release the hurri and mossie i wonder?

cheers,

dave.

Sorry about the delay on posting images guys. Being my first time I sent the images to the editor not knowing that I add them directly to this post ;) Now I"m at work and just got the correct procedures so I"ll try it again when I get home tonight. I see we now have three Revell Wildcat builds in progress ;) ...my six is covered :P

I was going to do the Hasegawa F6F but was still scrounging for stuff I needed. The Wildcat is ready to build so I"ll run with it.

This kit is under-rated and with a few aftermarket goodies I prefer it over the Trumpeter. Talk is cheap, let the glue and painting begin.

Here are some images of a real F4F at an airshow at PFAC in Asheboro, N.C. They give you an idea of how pronounced the panel lines and rivet detail is on the real aircraft. I"ll follow with some of the Revell kit and then proceed to the work I've done so far if the images upload properly. (first time...here goes :rolleyes: )

post-345-1222964055.jpg

post-345-1222964078.jpg

IT WORKED!!! now lets compare the kit detail. Its only letting me add two photos per post so you'll see some of the kit detail before ( on the left ) and after plenty of sanding to tone down the detail more to scale ( on the right ).

post-345-1222964509.jpg

post-345-1222964551.jpg

The prop had funky, hollow grooves in the back so I filled them with CA and hit it with the accelerator then sanded smooth. I'm using the Eduard PE set which adds good detail like this screen for the underwing oil cooler.

post-345-1222964921.jpg

post-345-1222964933.jpg

Compare the real gun port with the gaping holes the kit leaves you with. My solution is 1 part brass tubing and 1 part aluminum tub (to simulate the .50 calibre and it all fits very snug. Can't wait to start painting.

post-345-1222965359.jpg

post-345-1222965389.jpg