• mmaben likes this

Rick

****If you can't find it, Make it.****

#32 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 39,741 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:13 AM

I just came across the Cocoon Model Maker unit while at Aldi today. Word on the street is that it's a bit crude for our purposes, but at $299, hard to resist! I did, though.

Kev

• mmaben likes this

#33 SCRATCH BUILDER

SCRATCH BUILDER

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:24 AM

Tell you what Kev,

To get started in 3D printing thats the way to go, you can always  print your big components on it. I know nothing about the machine but I have heard that there are a lot of printers in that price range, some take a bit of tweaking to get them right and if it turns out down the road that 3D printing is not for you then you not out much, someone will pick it up from for a $100.00 bucks.

First I would do my internet homework, then figure out exactly what you want use it for. 

Something like that will never make the small parts, I push my TAZ6 to its limits and I can print thin walls at 0.30mm most the time with success,because that the size nozzle I have on it. 

Edited by SCRATCH BUILDER, 22 November 2017 - 02:25 AM.

• LSP_Kevin likes this

Rick

#34 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 39,741 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 02:46 AM

Thanks, Rick. I'm fascinated by the possibilities that 3D printing is currently offering we modellers, but I'm not ready to step in to the fray myself. I really don't need the distraction, for one thing!

Kev

#35 MustangManiac

MustangManiac

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 04:36 AM

Hi everyone,

I went to college for the CAD and Solidworks aspect of this subject, so I understand that part of doing the 3D parts. I don't have really any experience with a 3D printer hands on though. 

I'm interested if someone here who has all the stuff to do it already might be interested in making me a couple parts for making an experimental version of a P-51 in 1/32 that was previously produced in 1/48 scale?

Cheers,

Brady

#36 karimb

karimb

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 05:59 AM

Thanks everyone for the help and responses. I am going to buy myself the rhino software. I also booked myself an online course from basic to intermediate and it takes around 11 weeks. Happy times I’m actually looking forward to learning something new. Meanwhile anyone here who has enough free time for a commission CAD project please pm me if you’re willing to take on something very exotic and quite difficult ;-)
Thanks again
Karim

Edit: because the forums are publicly accessible i had to modify the post lol

Edited by karimb, 22 November 2017 - 06:51 AM.

OUT OF THE HANGAR:  WnW AEG G.IV White.VII (RFI/WIPWnW Fokker E.II (RFI)  Academy F/A18-D (RFI)  WnW Albatros B.II (RFI) WnW Fokker DVII (RFI) WnW AMC DH.2 (RFI) Tamiya F4U-1 Arkansas Traveler (RFI) WnW Roland D.VIb (RFI)

WIP: 

Check out my blog on Smugmug                                        i-6kV8Kvp-Th.jpg

#37 vince14

vince14

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:25 AM

Nothing to see here, folks 😉

Edited by vince14, 22 November 2017 - 12:53 PM.

#38 karimb

karimb

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:52 AM

I’m not sure you should admit to doing that on a publicly accessible forum...

Noted and post modified. May you clear the quote please?
Karim
  • Alburymodeler likes this

OUT OF THE HANGAR:  WnW AEG G.IV White.VII (RFI/WIPWnW Fokker E.II (RFI)  Academy F/A18-D (RFI)  WnW Albatros B.II (RFI) WnW Fokker DVII (RFI) WnW AMC DH.2 (RFI) Tamiya F4U-1 Arkansas Traveler (RFI) WnW Roland D.VIb (RFI)

WIP: 

Check out my blog on Smugmug                                        i-6kV8Kvp-Th.jpg

#39 SCRATCH BUILDER

SCRATCH BUILDER

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:07 PM

PM sent

Rick

#40 SCRATCH BUILDER

SCRATCH BUILDER

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 06:11 PM

Hey Kev,

I dont think 3D will replace Injection molding just yet, But I do believe as modelers this will open up more areas of one off's for us to build. 

Edited by SCRATCH BUILDER, 22 November 2017 - 06:12 PM.

Rick

#41 ringleheim

ringleheim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 November 2017 - 01:58 PM

I was quite impressed with the quality of this T-rex skull and this printer in general, especially for the price.

Soon enough, if you are the kind of guy who makes things and builds models, you're going to have a 3D printer and know how to use it.  

#42 wunwinglow

wunwinglow

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 02:37 PM

Karim, best of luck with Rhino! Any questions, always more than happy to compare notes! Tip one. Get to understand the snap functions. Tip Two. Go into the options and turn OFF the Apparent intersection option.Leave it on and you will go mad....!!

Edited by wunwinglow, 25 November 2017 - 02:38 PM.

My Father told me two things would happen as I got older.
I can't remember either of them....

FLYINGSTART_TITLE%20SMALL.JPG

#43 karimb

karimb

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:19 PM

Nothing to see here, folks 😉

Hahahahahaha
Carry on guys as Vince said. Nothing to see here
Thanks Vince!

WIP: 

#44 karimb

karimb

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 04:29 PM

Karim, best of luck with Rhino! Any questions, always more than happy to compare notes! Tip one. Get to understand the snap functions. Tip Two. Go into the options and turn OFF the Apparent intersection option.Leave it on and you will go mad....!!

Thanks my friend. Rhino3d has been bought from the local resellers here. It’s quite an investment along with the online course i enrolled in. Course is almost 30 hours of video along with exercises and things to complete to progress so it’s very interesting and hopefully will keep me partly busy during my layovers. I am hoping the mouse on the macbook pro will be sufficient to fiddle around when i start using the software. To be honest i am quite happy and excited about the learning curve. With the course it seems more structured than having to learn alone like i did with illustrator and the vectoring programs i use for plotting. I’m grateful for the help you have offered and look forward to exchanging ideas when i get to play around on the software. First in line would be ERA blocks for the 1/16 T72 and some ancillary stuff. I had planned to cad an engine and a transmission as none exist in 1/16th but i think I’ll just scratch build those if i can’t eventually find a way or someone to help me get them caded for 3d printing! I have neither the skills nor the genius at that stage to undertake such a huge project. I can also see various engine mounts for ww1 engine displays and alot of possible stuff down the line!
Karim

Edited by karimb, 25 November 2017 - 04:34 PM.

• LSP_Kevin likes this

WIP: 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users