Cyber Hobby Me 110 G-4

Cheetah11

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the interest and comments.

Here is a small heads up to all doing Pastor John's conversion.  I scratch build the switch boxes on the side of the front cockpit wall only to later find them on the sprue, but nothing noted on the plans. :fight:

IMG_2345.jpg

Some more goodies for the build arrived yesterday. 

IMG_2352.jpg

While I fetched the camera, I suffered an attack from the Feline Brotherhood. You can see the bite marks at the top of the plastic packet. :hmmm:

The culprit found (now trying to attack the I Phone).

IMG_2355.jpg

Happy modeling

Nick

I have those Montex masks for my planned Revell G-4 project. Not sure if I'll use them, yet. John's releasing the decal sets for his conversion separately, so I'm toying with the idea of picking up a set of those to use instead.

In any case, you're doing great work here, Nick!

Kev

Great work! Im sure the masks will come out great. Ive been toying with other schemes myself for Johns conversion as well.

While I fetched the camera, I suffered an attack from the Feline Brotherhood. You can see the bite marks at the top of the plastic packet. :hmmm:

The culprit found (now trying to attack the I Phone).

IMG_2355.jpg

Beautiful cat!  Russian Blue?     My "helpers" do the same. Although in their eyes destruction seems to mean the same as helping.

Hi Everyone

thanks for comments and interest

Beautiful cat!  Russian Blue?     My "helpers" do the same. Although in their eyes destruction seems to mean the same as helping.

Hi Brian, no not a proper Russian Blue although he looks like one. We have a 7 year old Russian Blue. A family member phoned my wife and son and told them about this Russian Blue kitten on our local shelter web page. They went and had a look and I think you can guess the outcome.

Out of interest who makes the sheet of stencil data you have there?

Regards. Andy

Hi Andy,

It is Hobby Decal from Korea. The decals are dry transfers, so I will see how they work. I was given this by a modeling friend when he learned of the project. I have no idea if it is still in production or how to source it.

Regards

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

Hi everyone

Still no picture found of the gunners seat. I might have to make one like the Hendon example. In the mean time I have done a bit of work on the spinner and prop blades,

On the left my initial attempt. This looks good when viewing the prop from certain angles, but the wash-out (twist) hides the shape at the root . The blade on the right is the reworked example. The shape of the spinner also drove me mad. The more photos I studied of Me 110 and Me 109 spinners, the more the confusion. All the 1/32 kit and aftermarket spinners also differ. I might be wrong, but I believe there were more than one sub-contractor making these spinners, resulting in the small shape variations. In the end I picked a photo of the 110 in the German Technical Museum and tried to duplicate the shape by sanding the Hasegawa Me 109 spinner to shape. I am not 100% pleased with the result but it is close enough to live with.

IMG_2358.jpg

I used a simple reference jig for alignment

IMG_2359.jpg

End result

IMG_2361.jpg

Comments welcome

Enjoy

Nick

Edited by Cheetah11

Still no picture found of the gunners seat.

The pix posted by logan181 not what you need ?

110G-4002.jpg

110G-4001.jpg

I might be wrong, but I believe there were more than one sub-contractor making these spinners, resulting in the small shape variations.

I agree, the later 110 spinners are not the same as the 109s.

It looks like they just replaced the end caps at the factory.

They're not as pointy (a technical term).

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply and interest.

I could only find the same photos, which I believe is the seat of the Me 110 at Hendon. Both Monogram and the Aires update set in 1/48 have a different style of gunner/ radio operator's seat. I do not know if the seat design changed on later production examples, or Monogram and Aires just simplified the seat. I could not find any photos on the web of the rear cockpit, except of the example at Hendon and a restored example in Denmark. Between these two there are also differences between a number of fittings, eg the rear gun mount and armor plate.

Since the scheme I intend to do is a fairly late production (FuG 218 Neptun and straight flame dampers) I would like to confirm the above details if it is at all possible. At the moment all I have to go on is the config of the Aires and Monogram seat, and on this I have no photographic proof. If I don't find anything, I will do the same seat as the Hendon example. As Dan has pointed out there are so many small variances in the Me 110 G-4. The build is great but references a bit frustrating.

Regards

Nick

I wonder if the seat above is not sagging due to age or perhaps was designed so that a parachute would fit in the “sunken†portion. Therefore, the parachute becomes the seat pad. Also, I wonder if this is not actually a seat out of a G-2? There are no seatbelts on the radio side of the seat indicating only 2 crew members versus the three that I believe were in a night fighter... Total speculation on my part, but I also spent some time trying to figure out the aft seat as well.

Could the depth of the seat be at all due to the gunners parachute?  Im not super familiar how the Luftwaffe wore them, but I know some US fighters had deeper seats to accommodate sitting on the larger parachute pack.  IIRC, I think I remember the Luftwaffe wearing theirs on their back though now that I think about it...........

hi Nick

here is how the seat should  look like . it was an  pivoting metal seat enough deep to get the parachute .... , because of the specific stuffs you previously described  ( f uF 218 Neptune , and straight flame dampers ) some extra things could  be added like antennas . this 110 could be a 110 G4 b2 R 3 : under the wing / fuselage root there was a Fu G 101 ( radio altimeter antenna ) , and at the rear tip of the fuselage an antenna that looks like the one seen on JU 88 G  ( passive sensor antenna ) 

( yes , some other annoying stuffs !!!! :hmmm:    ) 

Alain

Alaintumblr_m7lyo7Jj7W1qk6uvyo1_1280.jpg

Edited by alain11

Hello Alain

The Hendon's example is good...this "thing" was shared between the radar radio operator and the gunner...I would be curious to see the effect of an Immelman with this apparatus on the crew...:-)

The example you show is for the previous versions of the 110E/F...note the bottom hood over the Mg mount.

Amities

Fab