Early P-51 Sumthin

ruzlkampf

I was down supporting the LHS today, and saw this box sitting forlornly off to the side with a tag saying, "returned...warped parts". Since I'm always on the looksy for spare parts, I bought it for a bad yodel song and shuffly little dance. :rolleyes:

Wasn't planning on building one of these things for this GB, but since it's new enough....and only had one badly warped wing after a cursory inspection, I thought I'd give it a go! Soooo,...before I start hacking on anything, here's a pic of the un-started kit, and a book I got on early Mustangs. (up to the 'B' model'.)

post-4413-1239512954.jpg

Have no idea what this will eventually morph into, except it won't have 4-20mm cannon. Guess it won't be a Mustang 1A at least. Probably end up a P-51A, or B. Got a few Hasegawa P-51Ds for parts, just in case such an opportunity came up. We'll see.

Here's the reason it was returned. Can't figure out how this one wing got so warped, as all the other parts looked good. Doesn't matter, as I've already fixed it! Plastic is almost translucent it's so thin,...so I dunked it in boiling water for about 6-10 seconds, put some thumbs on it, and it popped right out. :rolleyes:

Not too thrilled with some of the parts in this kit, and the fit could be better....but it'll give me something to do while I'm finishing off the dragons on the P-38. More pics as things evolve. Later, Russ

post-4413-1239514091.jpg

post-4413-1239514099.jpg

Another trip to Russville - should be fun! Apart from Tony Bell's promo build of a test shot, you may well be the first guy on LSP to put one of these up Russ. I certainly don't remember any others. Good work on fixing the wing too. Can't wait to see what you turn this into.

Kev

Russ

Been working on mine for 2 months or so, converting it into a Mustang I; you can see it here http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=23080

I have 2 of these, both are warped to some degree, and as you have pointed out I think its because the plastic is so thin.

Still, all things considered I think its OK for the price you pay.

Dave/Ironman1945

Kev

No apologies needed. I would have put it in the 10th anniversary group build but I started it early. Gotta finish it so I can get something into this group build!

I think the Hobbycraft kit is okay considering the cost. I know a lot of complaining has been done because of the warped wings and thin plastic, but I dont think its any worse than the old Revell kits I used to struggle with.

Hope all is well in Melbourne.. great place, have not been there since 86 with the Canadian Navy.

Russ, with your great work on the 38 I cant wait to see what you come up with!

Dave/Ironman1945

Wheeew, I'll have to go check it out Dave. B) I've been sorting thru this kit, and it's quite the paradox. Some things are done incredibly well, and others (like some of the cockpit parts) are almost crude. Not criticising this kit at all, as I got it for the challenge....and every kit has it's own 'personality' that has to be dealt with. That's 1/2 the fun!!!! :P

Still in the doldrums as far as what version I'll make it. I wanted to use the Allison nose for a Griffon powered Reno air racer, and hack this into a 'B'. Dunno about that yet, as I REALLY like the NA-73X in it's shiney NMF and no markings. Also looking at a P-51A in some CBI theatre 'commando' markings and some bazooka tubes ;) . Hmmmm.

Whoohoo!!! :rolleyes: Good news/bad news. Bad news 1st; I've had the nose off a Dragon, Trumpeter,Revell, and Hasegawa P-51 afixed to the front of this sucker.....and it ain't gonna be a P-51B. :angry: Won't get into the details, yet...but I DID figure out how to correct the Trumpeter P-51B, and it'll probably be my next entry in this GB! :lol:

Good news is this thing is gonna build up into a NICE P-51A. 1st Air Commando in the CBI it's gonna be. Got a cool pic of one with the ground crew sitting under the wings in the rain, and it's got 2-1000 pounders....AND the bazooka tubes. I'm so happy. :rolleyes: Range and maneuverability would be nill,....but it'll make big booms and fireworks with this load-out.

Here's what I'm gonna go with. Got the wider prop for the P-51A on it now, and I'll have to widen the air-intake a bit as the air-cleaner was installed in the scoop for the A-36/P-51A. No big whup.

post-4413-1239882761.jpg

After all the trial-fitting of all these parts onto this thing, I'm just about 'Mustanged out' for a few days. Almost done with the P-38, so I'll be starting this after this weekend. Pics as things progress! later, Russ

Russ,

Just a thought here as to the wrapage on that wing top.I thoguht as to when i get one and if happens to me as to using the revell wing from the revell kit.Just to see if it maybe the same shape wise or at least hlep it in some way.Nice idea as to the first air commando's 51 with the load out.She will look nice when she's done.Larry

I'm just jealous, the kits have not reached the UK yet.

Cheers

Den

:blink: same sentiments here, the "A" didn't reach across the channel either, hopefully it won't take too long, seems this kit can be build into a sweet "early-stang".....

J ;)

• 1 month later...

Whoakay, I picked this thing up today and starting varooming it around the room....and decided to work on it a bit more! B) Ya know, I don't recall ever seeing this on the shelves for sale at any model stores around here either. :P This was sitting behind the counter as a 'return', and I haven't seen another one since.(in stores) hmmm.

Where wuz I on this build? Ahhh yes, had it all taped together ready to start. First thing I needed to do was come up with one of my obligatory pilots. So, I ransacked a Hasegawa P-47D for a volunteer(I've got a MasterDetails pilot to replace him in the jug) and changed the 'smiley face' head that it came with. Next problemo was figuring out how to correctly position the dude. To make this easier, and fix a screw-up I did; I sawed the bottom outta fuse to make the pit a 'drop-in' assembly. Here we go! I love buzz-sawing plastic. :P

post-4413-1243140357.jpg

You can just make out the stress marks on the starboard wing where I dipped it in boiling water and popped out the warp. Looks like crap, but it didn't crease the plastic and it all came out smooth.

Here's what the pilot morphed into. Cockpit is pretty tight, so I had to have his arms in, and feet tucked up. See those little strips of plastic I had to put around the edge of the floor? That's to increase the width a bit cuz I screwed up and glued the pit sides to the fuse. They're supposed to be glued to the sides of the pit assembly, and that gets captured between the fuse 1/2's when it goes together. I ain't doing it that way.

post-4413-1243140579.jpg

Here's the hacked fuse bottom, and why I had to add some width. There's a head armor plate that goes behind the seat that would be almost impossible to install with a pilot in place,....so I'm building things in a different sequence like this. Cockpit is now a 'drop-in' assembly.

post-4413-1243140939.jpg