Does anyone make decent legs for the Gr.1?

Guest Smitty44

Guest Jessie_C

Look at the first 3 answers your vague question got. None of them answered your question, did they? Yet if you'd been more precise, you'd have gotten an accurate answer much faster. Sorry about that; our mind-reading helmets are all in the shop right now.

I for one had a mad glimmer of hope Smitty knew something about a new Jaguar in 1/32. The Jag has cantilever gear legs and so, if it does ever emerge, may well be screaming out for bronze legs.

The plastic Tornado legs are in compression and should ably cope with the weight of resin elements. For some insane, mad reason I bought a SAC set ages ago before I realised they basically were moulded soldering wire and I'd be interested in passing this item to somebody who can run compression stress tests to assess its failure point - which I would predict would happen ahead of the kit plastic.

Tony

I for one had a mad glimmer of hope Smitty knew something about a new Jaguar in 1/32. The Jag has cantilever gear legs and so, if it does ever emerge, may well be screaming out for bronze legs.

oeeeeh, right you are, but FIRST:       THE JAGUAR!!!!

Even worse, the alloy legs might hold for a while and then slowly creep over time. Unless they are massive, white metal isn't great for load bearing. This is even worse if you store the model on a glass shelf when there is virtually no friction to stop the wheels sliding. One of those rare situations when rubber tyres are a good idea!! (sorry Tony T!!!!) 3 months down the line and your Tornado is resting on its LGBs......

You might think of rebuilding the legs around a length of stainless rod or tube, picking a gauge that matches the oleo, so then you will get a very sturdy leg AND a decent representation of the bare polished metal. Syringe needles are great for this but if you can't get stainless tube otherwise although for something as big as a 1:32 Tornado leg, you might need to go and chat up you local vet rather than your doctor.....

Edited by wunwinglow