Correct napalm load for Vietnam USN Skyraider?

Bill M.

In contemplation of a ZM A-1H build, I'm wondering what would be the correct napalm load for a US Navy Vietnam era A-1? Would it be a Mk 77, or a BLU-1/B?, or...? And who makes and offers a correct Vietnam era napalm canister for a USN A-1 Skyraider? Thanks!

Bill M.

Bill, I honestly don't know the answer, just being a smart ass ! :wicked: But both services used several  different ones. And he makes several, even have the weld seams on the sides. Contact him by PM and see. Hope to see you start on this one soon.....Harv

Edited by Guest

In contemplation of a ZM A-1H build, I'm wondering what would be the correct napalm load for a US Navy Vietnam era A-1? Would it be a Mk 77, or a BLU-1/B?, or...? And who makes and offers a correct Vietnam era napalm canister for a USN A-1 Skyraider? Thanks!

Bill M.

Hi Bill,

It's kinda hard to say which load out is correct for a Navy A-1 in Vietnam. There were different loads used for different mission types in Vietnam. There is a very good book about Skyraiders in Vietnam and it has a chapter dedicated to ordinance. I'll take a look at it when I get home and leave another post that hopefully will answer your question.

-Shane

I can't remember ever seeing a pic of a carrier based navy Skyraider carrying napalm. I always thought napalm wasn't on carriers. Marine/USAF Skyraiders yes, but not carrier based planes?

Don

And yes, the AMS nape is really really nice!!

Edited by dmthamade

US Navy Skyraiders rarely carried Napalm or gun pods, those would be the USAF Skyraiders. The Navy used their Skyraiders to tote 500LB, lb and smaller GP Bombs and 2.75 and 5 inch rocket pods for the most part. If you read the book US Navy Skyraider units of the Vietnam War (osprey) and check out 

http://skyraider.org/skyassn/index.htm

it will explain in great detail why, not the least of which was a bomb shortage and safety issues with Napalm on the Boat.

Hope this helps.

Paul 

Thanks. I'd be interested in knowing the name of the book you mention. Thanks!

Bill M.

Hi Bill,

It's kinda hard to say which load out is correct for a Navy A-1 in Vietnam. There were different loads used for different mission types in Vietnam. There is a very good book about Skyraiders in Vietnam and it has a chapter dedicated to ordinance. I'll take a look at it when I get home and leave another post that hopefully will answer your question.

-Shane

Thanks Paul. This makes sense-- that napalm posed a danger shipboard and wasn't used too much by USN Skyraiders. Maybe I'll go with an assortment of rockets and bombs. Trying to outfit it as it would have been on a rescap mission. I have the ZM USN A-1H weapons set, so lots of options.

Bill M.

US Navy Skyraiders rarely carried Napalm or gun pods, those would be the USAF Skyraiders. The Navy used their Skyraiders to tote 500LB, lb and smaller GP Bombs and 2.75 and 5 inch rocket pods for the most part. If you read the book US Navy Skyraider units of the Vietnam War (osprey) and check out

http://skyraider.org/skyassn/index.htm

it will explain in great detail why, not the least of which was a bomb shortage and safety issues with Napalm on the Boat.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Yes, I already have that Osprey book on the Navy A-1 Vietnam units. It's a pretty good book. In fact I have two copies. I had one already and then another one came with the ZM Kit when I bought it.

Bill M.

https://www.amazon.com/Skyraider-Units-Vietnam-Combat-Aircraft/dp/1846034108

The most exotic load I've seen is the ubiquitous "toilet bomber", napalm MK 77 Mod 0 was tested and cleared but not used on the boat. =-)

Thanks. I'd be interested in knowing the name of the book you mention. Thanks!

Bill M.

Hi Bill,

The book is called "The A-1 Skyraider in Vietnam: The Spad's Last War" by Wayne Mutza. It published by Shiffer Military History Books. Hard bound. It's a wonderful title, specially if you are a Skyraider nut as I am. Lol. Chapter 3 is called "Things Under Wings". Cover the development of Skyraider ordinance, bomb racks, drop tanks and much more. It does tend to cover more Air Force Spads than Navy but they talk about Navy birds carrying 1000lb Mk79 Mod 1 fire bombs. This was a 4 finned stream lined steel and aluminum container that could be telescoped down for storage until ready for use. They would build it up on the fan deck and fill them with the mixture once it was mounted on the wing and secured. Goes on to say Navy Spads used 3 types of fire bombs. Mk77 Mod 0, 2, and 4; Mk78 and the Mk79 Mod 1. Air Force Spads used the "BLU" type of fire bombs, also called "napes".

It goes onto say the main role for Navy Spads during Vietnam was ResCAP. That usually called for a 300gal centerline tank and Zuni's on the two large inboard pylons with 2-4 LAU-3/A and one Mk.82 GPB on the outer pylons. I built the ZM Skyraider as Cdr Ray Ashworth's bird from

VA-176 during 1966. I came across a page on the web where he describes the ResCAP load out he normally carried. I loaded mine with 2 Zuni's, 4 LAU-3/A, 2 Mk.82's and the 300 gal centerline tank. Good luck with your build. Hope this helps.

Thanks

Shane