tamiya stang

dashotgun

I am in I have started it about 2- 3 weeks ago I am going to do Sweet Arlene a 366 bird I have the cutting edge decals the pyn up ones I bought when they came out( swmbo) is of course named Arlene and If was a WW2 stang driver that is what I would have named the plane. I have gotten Jerry rutmans wheels the rubber tires are not very nice and Sutherlands interior decals for the switches and so on and HGW replacement for the seat belts the rest of the plane will be OOB. For those that have not started it yet you almost do not need glue. It will be alclad painted with some snj polishing powder. I put the spitfire aside I am up to paint on that one. This is better designed as the engine mounts are integral to the sides so there will be not miss mounting issues I think. I will take picture this weekend to post up.

here are some quick pictures of the progress so far like a lot of us I build in subsections and try to do mass painting of one color. BTW Roys cockpit placards are superb. I have to spray some satin coat to even the colors and pick out some more fine detail. The engine is a model in itself. The wheel wells were sprayed in metallic black then rubbed in snj powder.

p51r.jpg

p51l.jpg

wells.jpg

floor.jpg

packard.jpg

bulkhead.jpg

ip.jpg

Some progress I built the gun site and painted it. I left off the housing that protects from shadows I can not find any period photos that shows it in use. The pit is finished except for the seat belts I am using the HGW belts and they are a bit finicky but really look the part. once that is done I can fold the sides together. Another warning there are 2 similar looking black poly caps and the larger one does not fit well into the tail for the aft airelons it has to be sanded( that is because it is the larger one meant for the prop erggggh) I also cahnged the battery wires to something a bit smaller I put on a level semi satin coat over the decals looks much better:

mustang0.jpg

mustang1.jpg

musatng2.jpg

mustang3.jpg

mustang4.jpg

mustang6.jpg

mustang7.jpg

mustang8.jpg

Awesome job so far Dave. :clap2:

re: the poly cap....yeah...if something doesn't fit on the kit then you're doing it wrong :D

(Tamiya should put that in box-car sized letters on the instruction sheet BTW). I'm 'dimensionally

challenged' so I even took to laying the various screws over the intruction sheet as the image of

each nut/screw is 1:1 on the sheet. But I think the poly-caps just say small/med/large without the

image so it's an easy mistake to make.

Awesome job so far Dave. :clap2:

re: the poly cap....yeah...if something doesn't fit on the kit then you're doing it wrong :D

(Tamiya should put that in box-car sized letters on the instruction sheet BTW). I'm 'dimensionally

challenged' so I even took to laying the various screws over the intruction sheet as the image of

each nut/screw is 1:1 on the sheet. But I think the poly-caps just say small/med/large without the

image so it's an easy mistake to make.

I kinda dove right in on this and did not see the second bag of poly caps in the bag with the tires BANGHEAD2.jpg Tamiya is sending me another cap

• 3 weeks later...

big update I have been building but not posting or taking picture. Some notes before the pictures I used the seat belts from HGH which i got on ebay. I was somewhat skeptical as I do not do small parts well but if you thread the belts while the buckles are on the sprue it is easier. I think they look better then resin belts and better then the metal ones from eduard or tamiya. I would recomend them to those who do not mind a bit of a challange. The model is going together well it will need only some sling filler on the bottom near the air scope at least on mine as that did not fit as tightly as else where on the model. I am not sure I am going to do panels open on the engine although the alinement is great and the engine looks super the panels still gap slightly and the decals have to gap the panel lines. I might try some hot water as the curvature is to great causing the gapping. Go slowly and follow the directions and the model just about builds itself it is by far the best model I have built the engineering is superb. I did launch the throttle into the carpet monster twice but a new one is easy to build from stock and I will glue it in later. I did decide to use the warning radar antenna I hope I do not bend them as I handle it tires are Jerry Rutmans btw. I went to Ikea and picked up their detolf shelf and built that I will save a space for the mustang when finished

tmusttang2.jpg

tmusttang1.jpg

tmusttang9.jpg

tmusttang8.jpg

tmusttang4.jpg

tmusttang6.jpg

tmusttang3.jpg

tmusttang5.jpg

• 1 month later...