Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk IA, UPDATE 01/31/16

Barry

I admire anyone willing to tackle what was clearly meant to be a toy and turn it into an accurate representation.  These kits, the older ones at least, are great starts but need a lot of additional work.  Great job!

Hi SciFi,

I like to think of it as an opportunity to see if I have actually learned anything in my 50+years of modeling.

Thanks,

Barry

Thanks for all the kind comments guys.

I have resolved the horizontal stabilizer and elevator fit issues and have been working on the fit of the engine cowlings. Yes they are just as challenging as the others have proven to be! :frantic:

Maybe some photos later in the week business travel last week cut into my modeling time. :fight:

Cheers,

Barry

Barry .... seeing your builds I think you are a competent excellent modeler.and no matter how many years one does something,you are always learning.

:thumbsup:

Thank you sir! You are absolutely right when it comes to learning. 

Barry

Quick up date.

Cowlings mastered, fit turned out pretty good after a lot of filing and shimming.

I have made the initial spinner fit up. How does the positioning of the spinner and contour look with respect to the nose cowls?

Thanks for looking!!

Barry

P1190359_zpsbhgfnc7h.jpg
P1190357_zpsuybopvqi.jpg
P1190358_zpslnwespmg.jpg
P1190368_zpsgatii7yb.jpg
P1190369_zpsx5szjgzv.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Hi Barry

"The spinner and contour look with respect to the nose cowls " lloks just fine on my end/ Nice work figuring out a "quick" for the elevator fit issue as well.

Keep 'em coming :popcorn:
Peter

Well I finally reached the point where I could fit the Trumpeter Hurricane Exhaust as they are the correct early style.

Here are some photos of my first attempt and to my eye it looks about right. I have limited (1) good reference drawings and not sure how far they should protrude from the cowling. I am not using an engine so they will be secured to the inside of the cowling. I would appreciate any input from those in the know.

Thanks,

Barry

P1230368_zpsft0f3no5.jpg
P1230363_zpsttu4kujf.jpg
P1230364_zpsgruphtd2.jpg
P1230367_zpsiiqaj1gp.jpg
P1230373_zps9yi4xg6w.jpg
P1230374_zpse4cnsasg.jpg

There's some good reference photos of exhausts in here, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234985082-spitfire-mki-exhausts-references-and-painting/

Click on the photos in dogsbody's post.

Have a look here as well, http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234964080-supermarine-spitfire-mki/

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by dennismcc

Hey Dennis,

Thanks for the link to Dogsbody's post, awesome pictures. The first couple of shots remind me why I think the Spitfire is the most graceful aircraft ever designed. As aircraft have evolved especially those now in order to be speedy and stealthy do not have a single symmetrical curve on them. Sort of like the modern women no "curves" give me Spitfires and Marilyn Monroe; Vavavoom! :yahoo:

Barry