Revell (née Matchbox) Spitfire 22- finished

BloorwestSiR

Hi Carl

Nice progress on the Spit. Don't you just love that when a step appears on one side and not the other.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter!

No kidding about the step. I ended up with another on the wing root fairing on the starboard side but only at the front.

Hi Carl,

I have heard this kit was a difficult build, but you are really showing it can be done well with good planning.

Seems almost easy....

Thanks Alain!

It definitely needs some thinking ahead but if you ignore a few of the instruction steps and build it a bit more logically, it's not too bad.

The biggest issue is the multi part wing and the separate wing roots.

Carl

Really nice, Carl...and I know what this kit looks like cause I have it and will probably use it as test mule for painting/weathering. You gonna rivet this thing?

Thanks Shaka!

I don't think I'll be doing any riveting on it.

I'm happy that I've been able to get it together.

Carl

A quick update. The engine is now in place. I've had to lengthen the two side panels a bit so those are just drying at the moment. I've also given the entire assembly a sanding as the panel lines all seem to have a raised lip around them. After sanding, they're much smoother and the panels don't seem as thick.

IMG_20170204_132249.jpg

Guest Peterpools

HI Carl

Nice fix for sure on the wing roots:looking mighty good. Wouldn't it be grand if Papa tamiya decided to kit all the major Spitfire and Mustang variants? Now it's back to reality time.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Great work! Watching with interest.

Splendid idea to use Aires resin in the cockpit, especially if you are going to leave it open. In my Mk.22 I decided to use only some bits borrowed from Eduard's late Mk. XVI interior set that I have found in my stash and Revell's Mk. II (floor, rudder - going to use there the Eduard's resin cockpit), but there's no comparison.

With little effort this kit can look surprisingly well, keep it up :)

Best regards

Hubert

I must admit that this kit was the one that brought me back to modelling after the wife/kids/house thing distracted me, and you are doing a fine job of it, looking at my effort it is very dated now (early 1980's) I'm surprised that there isn't a modern kit out yet, though you never know.

Cheers

Dennis

HI Carl

Nice fix for sure on the wing roots:looking mighty good. Wouldn't it be grand if Papa tamiya decided to kit all the major Spitfire and Mustang variants? Now it's back to reality time.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter!

I would love it if Tamiya did a XIV or Seafire 47, nevermind a P-51B.

We'll just have to keep wishing.

Great work! Watching with interest.

Splendid idea to use Aires resin in the cockpit, especially if you are going to leave it open. In my Mk.22 I decided to use only some bits borrowed from Eduard's late Mk. XVI interior set that I have found in my stash and Revell's Mk. II (floor, rudder - going to use there the Eduard's resin cockpit), but there's no comparison.

With little effort this kit can look surprisingly well, keep it up :)

Best regards

Hubert

Thanks Hubert! Actually the Aires cockpit was not a great fit and probably created more trouble than it was worth. The Matchbox fuselage is wider than the Tamiya one and with the Aires cockpit suffering from shrinkage, it was that much smaller. I think maybe using the Aires Vicky fit the Hasegawa Spitfire V my might have worked better.

Your build has been a great inspiration for what can be done with this.

Carl

I must admit that this kit was the one that brought me back to modelling after the wife/kids/house thing distracted me, and you are doing a fine job of it, looking at my effort it is very dated now (early 1980's) I'm surprised that there isn't a modern kit out yet, though you never know.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis!

I remember when the Matchbox kit was originally out and thinking that it couldn't possibly be a Spitfire as it was a bubbletop. I mean, all Spitfires are high backed right? :)

Carl