Heinkel He -111.

TimHepplestone

The pleasure is mine , I wish I could finally wrap up the fuselage on mine heineken and focus on the fun stuff, like paint and weathering :)

In fairness you out a lot more effort into the interior than I did. I'm lazy. It I won't see it later I tend to not do it. And your pit looks awesome

Started  work on the upper camo. Started with old fashioned preshading. Then mottled with mixtures of green and yellow

m6TkeR0l.jpg

LkhTr6zl.jpg

Then  the fun began. Put on the  RLM 70.  Really fighting with this paint. This is from the new Hataka red line range. Out of the bottle its just too thick for my liking as I'm trying to lay down thin translucent layers to allow some tonal variation to show through. Also endless fights with tip of the nozzle drying. So I tried thinning with hataka's own thinner and even at low pressure I get spider webs and paint runs. Eventually got this:

N8ecKI4l.jpg

Gw9UZGbl.jpg

Some tonal variation is showing through but not as much as I would have liked. Will probably end up doing a bit of post shading and fading. Have now run out of masking tape - this is a big canvas!

After a few squre miles of masking tape, finally got the splinter camouflage done.

Used Hataka red line paints for the RLM colours. Must say I really struggled with them. Getting better slowly but these paints have a serious learning curve. Reverted to highly thinned tamiyas for some shadeing and random streaking. Left it looking a bit  exaggerated as the gloss coats to follow qill knock it back a bit.   Camera flash  is exagerrating it but also Hataka's RLM 70 (Black green) seems a lighter shade to the RLM 71 (Dark green). Anyway , subsequent weathering will done it all down a bit . I hope

u3Xyzydl.jpg

6dM5LkYl.jpg

lQFyVY1l.jpg

Looking real good! 

Myself, I find those dark Luftwaffe bomber colors always resist pre-shading.  The line between paint-too-transparent and Opaque is just too hard for me to hit.  I've decided to post-shade it from now on.

Gaz

Odd one today. Decalled the top surface yesterday. Found that by this morning residual decal solution has accumulated at the bottom of the model causing some kind of bleaching of the paint. Its not solution residue and wont wash off. Any ideas as to cause anyone? Fortuntely its in an easy area to touch up.  Tamiya paints with 2 coats of future which had been given 3 days to cure before decalling.  Microsol and microset solutions used.

7kbjQQgl.jpg?3