Kitty Hawk's OV-10 A/C Main Wing Update 9/8/2017

Joel_W

Bummer Joel. Im really sorry about that..............

I do remember the stalagmites rising from some parts (easily clipped off) and lots of injector marks in the wells. They definitely were kind of a PITA, but I put them in the same class as the other smaller stupid things KHM did like 5 sprue gates on the ignition ring, not really a big deal.  I only say this as the OV-10 was and is always been a top 3 or 4 favorite aircraft of mine, and since I use CA and micro-balloons to fill, the pin marks it went pretty fast. 

In that case, I think the filling of the marks is probably a bigger deal to some that others.

KHM has gotten much better at not doing such preventable stupid things on each kit progressed, as the T-28 has no such marks at all in the wells. Apparently a learning curve there for them in what modelers really want. 

Sorry you are dropping the Bronco, but I can see that if the pin marks are too much of a PITA especially if not super passionate about the subject.   Id say you could definitely sell that nice decal sheet and Eduard kits on the forums for no loss (I unfortunately already have multiples of both)

Bummer Joel. Im really sorry about that..............

I do remember the stalagmites rising from some parts (easily clipped off) and lots of injector marks in the wells. They definitely were kind of a PITA, but I put them in the same class as the other smaller stupid things KHM did like 5 sprue gates on the ignition ring, not really a big deal.  I only say this as the OV-10 was and is always been a top 3 or 4 favorite aircraft of mine, and since I use CA and micro-balloons to fill, the pin marks it went pretty fast. 

In that case, I think the filling of the marks is probably a bigger deal to some that others.

KHM has gotten much better at not doing such preventable stupid things on each kit progressed, as the T-28 has no such marks at all in the wells. Apparently a learning curve there for them in what modelers really want. 

Sorry you are dropping the Bronco, but I can see that if the pin marks are too much of a PITA especially if not super passionate about the subject.   Id say you could definitely sell that nice decal sheet and Eduard kits on the forums for no loss (I unfortunately already have multiples of both)

Brian,

I'm going to continue on as long as I can handle all the pin ejection recesses, that I keep on finding everywhere. My God, they must have had a contest to have come up with this many. I'm still dumb founded at the need to have 5 ejection points in the front wheel well. That's almost as much space as there is in the well itself. 

BTW, what's a micro balloon? I'm currently punching out small discs with my punch set and getting as close to the correct size as I can.

Joel

I DO agree there were way too many. They are a PITA, but I guess I just never put them in the deal breaker category.

BTW, what's a micro balloon?

Basically just a powdery looking substance made up of little glass beads that are normally used by the R/C guys for filling balsa and plastic. It effectively does the same thing as talc w/CA, but less dense, and easier to sand.  Many, many brands out there of it:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Microballoons&newwindow=1&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiRkL775uPVAhUh_4MKHZX3BJ8Q_AUICygC&biw=1600&bih=748

I'm currently punching out small discs with my punch set and getting as close to the correct size as I can.

Actually, if you have thin enough card stock that is probably the better way to go!

TBH,

I mentioned things like this to Glen at the time of the OV-10 review, and it seems KHM paid attention, as like I said the OS2U, and even MORE so the T-28 had way less idiotic things like that wrong with it.

Brian,

the disks do work, but there is just no way to actually get into the small areas to sand and polish. As far as I'm concerned, I've bought 3 Kitty Hawk kits, and one was worse then the previous one. Kitty Hawks should refund my money it's so bad.

Joel

What should have taken only a few min to clean up, took hours to do. As I said, the closeness of the space to the top of the wheel makes it just about impossible to get in there to sand & Polish the  plugs I made. So I took a different approach and made sheet caps for 3 of the 4 sections, while trying to keep the surface of the section where the front struts is glued to a natural plastic surface.  I still need to finish each section with Vallejo White Acrylic putty to seal the edges. 

Just way to much work that should never have been necessary. 

Joel

ed3xP3.jpg

Guest Clunkmeister

Joel my friend. It is a PITA no doubt. I agree on the pin marks. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it whatsoever.

But like others here, this is one of my favorite aircraft of all time, so to me, the added work is worth it in the end.

And for as hard as this one is, the Kingfisher and T-28 are that much easier.

Joel my friend. It is a PITA no doubt. I agree on the pin marks. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it whatsoever.

But like others here, this is one of my favorite aircraft of all time, so to me, the added work is worth it in the end.

And for as hard as this one is, the Kingfisher and T-28 are that much easier.

Ernie,

Thanks for the support. Today I really needed it.  The Bronco is also one of my favorite attack aircraft, and I really wanted to build this in 1/32 scale. I just wasn't prepared for the mad engineer trying to seat a new world's record for injection pin holes.  I'll get through this build one way or another, but I want it to be as detailed as I can make it. Having stupid issues like this just makes it that  much harder to keep the Mojo up and working. 

Joel

Guest Clunkmeister

Well Joel, once it's done, it'll be done. You may not build another, but it's THE attack aircraft and it deserves it.

I absolutely guarantee you the Sabre Dog, and especially the Kingfisher and T-28 are nowhere near as aggravating.

Keep it up, Joel, it's looking great!

Well Joel, once it's done, it'll be done. You may not build another, but it's THE attack aircraft and it deserves it.

I absolutely guarantee you the Sabre Dog, and especially the Kingfisher and T-28 are nowhere near as aggravating.

Keep it up, Joel, it's looking great!

Ernie,

Again thanks for those words, they're much appreciated.

Joel

Joel - you're a better man than I. I've bought and tried to build my last KH kit. The 1/48 MiG-25 was just awful, and I had won the 1/32 F-86 at our club's show. I really wanted to build a Texas ANG Sabre, but after assembling the cockpit nothing else fit together properly - a series of butt-joins and bad engineering. My time is precious to me and no model kit is worth getting aggravated over. I'm looking forward to your perseverance. 

John

Joel - you're a better man than I. I've bought and tried to build my last KH kit. The 1/48 MiG-25 was just awful, and I had won the 1/32 F-86 at our club's show. I really wanted to build a Texas ANG Sabre, but after assembling the cockpit nothing else fit together properly - a series of butt-joins and bad engineering. My time is precious to me and no model kit is worth getting aggravated over. I'm looking forward to your perseverance. 

John

John,

It's really great to hear from you. 

Are you in the same club as Ernie and Tony?

Honestly, the fit for the little I've done so far has been pretty good. The issue is that the KH engineers and designers surely were trying to set a new World's Record with just how many injection pin marks they could add to a 1/32 scale aircraft kit. 5 in just the front wheel well left little room for anything else, like molded in details of which there are none. Literally, every single flat or semi flat surface is covered with them. 

Ernie, in his most welcomed post, has assured me that the newer kits especially the OS2U Kingfisher & T-28C are world's better in that respect. But I've had other major issues such as 4 pc fuselage halves in their F9FCougar, and the Lizard skin on their very 1st kit the F94C. that one never made it out of the box.  

My plans are to still fight the good fight, and hopefully make it to the finish line around the 6 month mark. 

Joel

I've run into an issue with respect to the orientation of the rear electronic decking as I'm currently working in the cockpit area adding details as I go. As I'm assembling the electronic equipment on the rear deck. the area where the electronics goes I thought is a raised deck since there is recessed panel lines and rivet detail on that side. The other side has 6 injector pin marks and nothing else.  Anyway as I was doing my final dry fit before gluing all the parts together, I noticed that the bottom plate was seating on the ribbing on the side of the fuselage. I checked the instructions and they show the plate with the step down not up. so I reversed it, and it now fits correctly. I then checked a few builds, and they both have the plate with the lip stepping down.

This makes absolutely no sense as once the fuselage is closed up, you can't see that area. Yet the undetailed  6 ejector pin side is the visible side. Does anyone know if this is the correct orientation?

Joel
Edited by Joel_W

I saw a Bronco last Fall at the Air Force Museum in Dayton. It's cockpit was so impressively detailed and visible,  I figured a well built LSP would be something else right then.  Watching this one closely. Good luck!