RAAF 20th anniversary hornet - the perils of polishing 23/12

ClumsyDude

Jim, I'm just catching up with the results and they're truly fantastic! Great job on all the prep beforehand. It's certainly paid off handsomely for you.

Can't wait to see more.

Carl

Thanks Carl ... I also can't wait, I'm dead keen to get cracking on decals but I'm forcing myself to spend a few nights going over the model to find flaws in the paint.

Jim,

Me too! I just saw this, and your work, patience, and dedication is simply awesome.

Sincerely, Tom

Thanks Tom!

My god that's gorgeous. Superb work!

Thank you, I'm glad you like it!

Definitely lovely!

Thanks Milan.  I was initially going to try for a stressed-skin effect, like you've done on your F-15, but I chickened out ... now I am kind of regretting it, but I think it will still look good.

Masking Master ;)

This is one great example for patriotic modeling - a lot of patience and detailing work :)

I want to see this model-bird "at life" :) who knows . . .

Once again  - great work my friend :)

Haha thanks Chavdar ... if you ever find yourself in my part of the world, let me know, I'll be more than happy to show you!

Cheers

Jim

What an awesome result, Jim!!

Thanks Ben. Got started on the touch up masking last night ... with all those compound curves it's incredibly time consuming. I spent an hour and a half and barely got through half of what I need on the white touch ups (let alone the red or blues).

Hi Jim,

Beautiful result on such a lot of complex masking!

Nick

Thank you Nick.

Wow, Jim...thats outta sight!

Nice work.

Thanks Shawn. Hoping to get to decals in a week or two, then it'll be even better!

Unreal!  That is totally bad a$$!  I love the hornet but the Academy kit can be a bear to build.  You have totally nailed it along with the paint job.  It really does look awesome...

Bryan

Yeah, no kidding about the kit. The detail is nothing short of brilliant, it really is ... but the fit around the intakes is a trial in particular. I'm keen to build another one, although I think this will be my last air show finish for a while!

Hey Jim great Paint Job!![/size]

Your preparation in the masking and has paid off, looks awesome.[/size]

If you plan on showing it off anywhere in Sydney I wouldn't mind going for a drive to look at it[/size]

Thanks Mario. Don't have any plans to show it but then I doubt it'll be finished before next Easter (there has to be at least 2 months in the clear coat and polishing). Maybe I ought to think about it, I've never done a show before!

Cheers

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, minor update ... not minor in terms of hours, of course, just results. Plenty of touch ups of tiny blemishes in the paint, some with the airbrush, some with the 000 brush. Also some spraying of metal panels around the airframe, which I didn't take pictures of.

First job was to extend the wing markings down the leading edge under the flap (they weren't there because the flap itself covered the area while I was spraying the masks). The job here is to make sure that, when the flap is extended, the edge of the paint on the wing lines up with the flap. This doesn't appear to be a factor on the real hornet, so probably a constraint of the scale model ... anyway, much painstaking masking, but got it right first time ...

37396017392_c04395d97f_k.jpg

Next up, the bird slicer IFF antennas. I'm going to have to attach these after the gloss is sprayed, sanded and polished, so any gaps with the surface (if they don't sit quite flat) will look terrible. So here's my solution: I've masked off where they will sit. Now after I spray a few coats of gloss and lift the masks, there will be a very slight depression which the antennas will slot into, and it will look like they're flush with the surface. Here it is:

37396019602_1556c245b3_k.jpg

I was a little dismayed to notice that the star is too far forward! There should be about 1.5mm between the star and the antennas, but they're touching. Nothing for it but to sand down the edges of the paint around the star, and respray ...

37550630516_0386c78319.jpg

Then it was on to the black walkways. These have a star in the middle of them, which I had placed previously by putting down the mask with the star, then lifting the mask. Now I laid the mask over the top, then masked around the outside with Tamiya tape.

36889034804_a1dcd76e43.jpg

Masks up, ready for paint ...

36889036404_64134242fc.jpg

And voilà ...

37340960390_e39972954e.jpg

I have made a start on decals but no photos to show yet ... more in a couple of weeks. Thanks for following.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by ClumsyDude