Tamiya Spitfire XVI- TD248

BloorwestSiR

Carl

Just love the paint work - smooth as silk.

Wishing your son, a Very Happy Fourth Birthday.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter! Just need to solve the lifting problems and I'll be happy.

Here he is with his older brother.

IMG_20170424_174155.jpg

It's so hard to have him keep a straight face in a photo.

So, I broke out the Tamiya lacquer thinner and brushes...

20170522_225204.jpg

20170522_232223.jpg

20170523_230354.jpg

I'm going to take a different approach this time. I'm going to paint the stripes on first and then mask over them. This way, I will minimize the amount of masking that needs to done on top of the silver paint.

Hi Carl;

Sorry to hear of the set back with the paint. Such a shame as it looked superb. Total wrench having to strip back and start again. As Shaka said, I would have lost all heart too and walked away...so kudos for moving on and putting it right.

Still tuned in!  :popcorn:

Best regards;
Steve

What a disappointment!

Silver finishes are always tricky...but it had worked perfectly before, so really a nasty shock!

I think your new approach is a good solution.

Good luck!

Alain

Thanks Alain! I was quite surprised by the paint issues as I had used the same paint on my F-104 without any problems.

IMG_20160825_121911.jpg

There definitely was a formula change as the paint in the jar looked different one I compared then afterwards.

Admirable that you can do this Carl...I'd probably box it and place it on the shelf of doom!

(Edit: What's that Tamiya Compound use for?)

Thanks Shaka! Actually, I did step away from it for a couple weeks. That's when I started the Skyraider. I debated leaving it as is, which I think really wasn't in the cards, shelving it or stripping and repainting it. Having had to doubt my Mossie, I knew it wouldn't be hard to strip it, just be a pain.

The Tamiya compound was for polishing the airframe after I stripped the paint off. Sometimes there's a bit of residue left so I use the compound to get rid of it.

Hi Carl;

Sorry to hear of the set back with the paint. Such a shame as it looked superb. Total wrench having to strip back and start again. As Shaka said, I would have lost all heart too and walked away...so kudos for moving on and putting it right.

Still tuned in! :popcorn:

Best regards;

Steve

Thanks Steve! I was a bit upset as well. But I think it was for the better. It didn't show in the pics but I had quite a ridge in the paint from where the stripes were. More than I usually get from painting on markings. So I think this time the results will be better.

Ah dang!  What a disappointment about the paint.    If its a painted silver finish, like speed silver, have you ever tried Tamiya AS-12?   As silver paints go, it goes down pretty magical right out of the rattle can.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Ah dang! What a disappointment about the paint. If its a painted silver finish, like speed silver, have you ever tried Tamiya AS-12? As silver paints go, it goes down pretty magical right out of the rattle can.

Thanks Brian! Yeah, it was a bit of a disappointment especially after the initial "Wow, that looks awesome!" reveal.

I completely forgot about AS-12 so thanks for the reminder. I'm using Mr Color Super Silver 159 this time around. I think it's very similar to AS-12 but in a bottle.

Tough break, Carl, but I think painting the stripes first is the better way to go. You just have to make sure there's no hint of red underspray in the final coat of silver.

Looking good!

Kev

Thanks Kev! I think you're right about doing the red first. I did that on my CT-133 without any issues so I don't know why I didn't do the same here.

As for the red bleeding through, that's why I covered it with the white first so it acts as a barrier.

Guest Peterpools

Carl

Fingers crossed and a pretty novel approach. The white primer smoothed out should work perfectly and you'll be off and running again

Looking forward to the next update for sure

Keep 'em coming

Peter