Italeri F-104J Starfighter in JASDF scheme. 203 Squadron

dmthamade

That looks great Don. It's incredible just how many stencils Japanese fighters have on them. And you're right that they look odd when they're not on there.

They're operating on both eyes. I can either go for 20/20 vision in both eyes, or go with monovision. That's where they make your dominate eye see 20/20 and your other eye, they make sightly nearsighted. This way you can lessen the need for reading glasses. I haven't quite decided on which way to go yet.

Carl

Thanks for the positives, guys. The build went sideways, i did a panel line wash today. I used a wash i've made up many times before, water/paint/soap, apply as always, remove as always....stuff didn't want to wipe off.... stained the paint. I think what happened is the clear coat wasn't thorougly dry, i usually let it dry a few days. I think the soap and/or paint attacked the clear coat. To make it worse, the wash is too dark, looks stark. 

To repair, i sanded all surfaces with 1500 Tamiya sand paper, the clear coats are thick enough that luckily it protected the decals and paint from the sandpaper. It also gave me a nice smooth finish, kinda happy with that. As for the dark panel lines.... i'm going to make up a wash using the color coat, and apply as usual, hopefully it will cover enough to look OK. I have tried this on the underside of the horizontal, looks promising. 

Don

OK, so the repairs worked out better than i expected, although the panel line wash could have been a little lighter, i'm still good with it. I gave it a final coat of semi gloss Tamiya X-35. Sanding the paint gave it a super smooth finish, something i'm really happy about. Some pics.

IMG_5597_zps7kbvh7ri.jpg

IMG_5592_zpsi65uwnub.jpg

IMG_5591_zpsskhrvuct.jpg

IMG_5592_zpsi65uwnub.jpg

IMG_5593_zps9wczerbd.jpg

Don

Don,

After really taking a close look at the stenciling. I'm pretty sure it's the equal to what one goes through on a F4. But it's the end results that count, and with the redone panel line wash, your results certainly speak for themselves.   :thumbsup:  :yahoo: 

Joel

Thanks for the positives, guys!! As many stencils as there are, i realize i missed a few, not going back, now. I had planned to have a relaxing weekend of washing the car, visiting the model shop, having a burrito for dinner, then model building tonight.....well, yesterday noon at work i suddenly felt very sick, right in the middle of a bearing hub on a 2500 gmc pick-up. Went from fine to puking in the trash can in seconds... been here before, felt exactly like the Norwalk/Norovirus. Made it home, the night has been...messy, along with the morning. Finally able to keep stuff down and sit up. Rest of the weekend is a writeoff, gonna lurk and rest.

Don