Hasegawa 1/32 FW-190D9

Warbird

Damn fine work as always mate!! I love the finish - but, I have one question .... how the heck will you get the exhausts in place post painting? I am curious how you will do that!

Lovely work!

Cheers

Alan

Ps. That rivetting really comes out nicely!

Thanks!

Roger:

I sanded the surface after painting, but only on selected areas

I didn't use any mask for painting the soft demarcations on the fuelage/top surfaces, it's all freehand. For the intrados I used a piece of cardboard held a few mm over the surface.

The grey wash was applied over mat varnish so as to also slightly stain the surface (= like a filter)

So in the right order:

Paint, paint of markings, micromesh, gloss varnish, wet transfers/decals, gloss varnish over transfers/decals, flat varnish, wash/filter/some oils, weathering with airbrush.

The mix for weathering is circa 2/3 black 1/3 Brown.

And for the exhausts, they are split in 3, so no problem for placing them at the very end.

Cheers

Edited by Warbird

Thank you very much for the description of how you achieved this great looking result.

Did you use enamel for the wash? What is the reason that you apply first a gloss varnish over the decals before you apply the flat varnish?

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress you make on this Dora.

Cheers,

Roger

Paint is Gunze acrylics so yes, washes are enamel. You need a product that you can wipe using a solvent that won't alter your paint.

The gloss varnish is applied over the decals to unify the surface and seal the decals, thus bringing some protection against the products used for the weathering.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...