1/24 Airfix RCAF Mustang IV…finally done

R Palimaka

• 2 weeks later...

My hand and arm have healed enough for me to start in again, but I don't think I'll finish in time. Did some work over the weekend, finished the cockpit floor, and kept rebuilding the port side of the cockpit. I built the storage for the flare pistol, a mapcase and air-drop message container...none of that was in the kit.

One of the reasons this build is progressing so slowly is the rabbit holes I let myself crawl into. I spent over an hour making the canvas bag for the flares which hangs on the port side beside the flare port. The one in the kit looks like a bun from a submarine sandwich, so I shaped and sculpted a new one from Miliput, and fashioned a zipper for it made from a 1/72 scale photoetched ammo belt from Fotocut. I think it looks better. Why'd I do it?...I don't know! The thing is like 7 or 8mm long! But it's been fun "MacGyvering" bits for the project.

I'll post some photos tonight. Not much but it's progress.

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Thanks Shaka. I don't think the group output has been too bad compared to some of the others. There are a couple models that are really close to being done. I'm extremely happy I joined in, it got me started building again and I will finish this soon, just not likely on time. Apart from the glue spill this is the most fun I've had building a model, and I stretched my skills. I'll definitely do another group build...once I've finished this Mustang.

I hear ya...it wasn't until the GB's that I've actually finished anything. It's a much more intimate/personal environment and you get to know the personalities of some ....really weird guys!

:)

Hi Mr. R. Palimaka,

I'm one of the "Really Weird Guys"  Shaka  was mentioning above............

Love to see this Mustang to the finish...even if GB ends :coolio: 

Cheers

:beer:  :beer:  :beer4: 

jack

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement gentlemen, especially the weird ones. :)

No worries, I will keep going and finish this Mustang, too much work put in already and it's the most enjoyable build I've ever done, even when it's frustrating. I have to laugh at the amount of time I've put into tiny details. There's not much chance it'll be finished for next week but then it can go into the "In Progress" forum.

I'm crazy enough to do another one, but I've kept templates for the corrected parts so it should go faster. The next one will be a Polish example from 303 Squadron, one my Dad serviced. Kinda plain-Jane but it's an important aircraft, the only 303 Squadron Mustang that wore kill markings. Yes...I know...finish this one first.

RHK1E0q.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

Well, it ain't gonna happen, I'm obviously not going to make the deadline, but here is some more progress. First, the cockpit floor is now done, in the end none of the kit was used, it's all scratch built apart from the top of the control column (and even that was widened and filled out with putty). Pretty happy with it, I tried to keep the scuffing on the floor to a minimum. It was done by painting the wood colour with enamels, and then the black non-skid with acrylic. A little scuffing with a wet sanding pad and the wood colour came through.

Comparison with what came in the kit:

0EJH9kD.jpg

The other side:

RCfEykM.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka

Next was the port sidewall, with a new mapcase and message container added. I have all the bits and pieces for that side made now, they just need to be painted, assembled and placards and decals put on. That should only take me another month lol! Waiting for another order of Archer rivets for the new panel under the cockpit sill.

rGrMt8Z.jpg

And finally the canvas bag for the flare cartridges sitting next to the kit part on the right ( the thing that looks like a submarine sandwich bun )...I had too much fun making this tiny part, and I think the zipper made from a 1/72 photo-etched ammo belt looks ok. In photos, the RCAF bags look much darker than the interior green cockpit, so I painted it olive, with tan ribbing. It looks better in real life...just needs to be sprayed with a clear matte.

wonRgcOl.jpg

Edited by R Palimaka