Drummers of LSP, say hi and show off

Shawn M

Awesome pics and info!

My understanding about Sakae (and please correct me if I'm wrong), is that they were the builders of Yamaha drums before Yamaha moved most of their production to China. I know Yamaha has a great reputation for tone and quality, especially with their Studio Custom (but certainly not limited to that line) and that Sakae carries on that sound and craftsmanship.

I see that you mentioned Sonor, too. That's another company from which I would love to be able to have their drums, but just can't afford them and when you have Steve Smith (one of my all time faves!) as one of your primary endorsers, it surely doesn't hurt!

Unfortunately, I don't have a Youtube account, but I do have a couple videos of myself messing around. Just not sure how to post them (or if I would want to! LOL).

Again, GREAT thread, guys!

John

Dipping way back into my past, when I was in high school, I had this small set of Rogers drums. The Dynasonic COB snare and Swiv-O-Matic bass drum pedal, were awesome. (Polaroid photo, as it was all I had at the time.)

Those old Rogers kits were great. The Dynasonic snare is still as good as anything made today. 

Thanks for sharing.

Awesome pics and info!

My understanding about Sakae (and please correct me if I'm wrong), is that they were the builders of Yamaha drums before Yamaha moved most of their production to China. I know Yamaha has a great reputation for tone and quality, especially with their Studio Custom (but certainly not limited to that line) and that Sakae carries on that sound and craftsmanship.

I see that you mentioned Sonor, too. That's another company from which I would love to be able to have their drums, but just can't afford them and when you have Steve Smith (one of my all time faves!) as one of your primary endorsers, it surely doesn't hurt!

Unfortunately, I don't have a Youtube account, but I do have a couple videos of myself messing around. Just not sure how to post them (or if I would want to! LOL).

Again, GREAT thread, guys!

John

Your understanding about Sakae is correct.

Sonor was speaking to me recently about an endorsement. It never got any further than talk. And the guy was so excited about my vintage Sonor collection he took photos of all my snares.

Sakae came through.

Cool thread. It's nice too see some normal drummers here and to find out they actually exist. Most drummers I've played with gave always been a little bit "off", ya know?

For years, people would leave the house when I'd uncase the plectrum.

Despite my love of performing I never had the courage to learn to play drums.

Drummer messes up, the whole group messes up. Way, way too much responsibility :)

"Off", you say? Yeah, I resemble that remark! :lol:

As for messing up, I think every musician is capable of that. The key, as I'm sure you know, is to keep going and recover from it without stopping. Nine times out of ten, most people won't even catch it (but that doesn't mean your bandmates won't heckle you later! lol).

For me, playing drums is a lot like building models, in that it's a never-ending learning experience and I'll never feel completely satisfied that I'm "good enough". I've actually been going back to basics, recently. I've always been a good time keeper, but my rudiments are horrible. When I was in elementary through high school, we were taught the rudiments, but it was never strictly enforced unless we were preparing for some type of ensemble or solo competition. By no coincidence, we never seemed to place very high, either. I went on to play in cover bands for about 15 years and in that time I was only reinforcing some really bad habits. So, lately, it's been really hard to go back and stick to some of the basics and do them CORRECTLY. My double strokes were the first thing I started working on and I've started to improve that and am also trying to get better at paradiddles, which should have been second nature, many years ago. Being that I had only the very basics of a proper education, most of what I've learned about playing a drum kit has been self taught. That can get you by in most rock gigs, but really holds you back when you start branching out into more technical genres (jazz being a great example). I've also discovered that I have been playing a lot of stuff rudimentally, but never really realized it until I sat down to sort it all out. Now I'm just trying to work out the kinks and smooth out what I've been doing for too many years. I got my new kit set up in March and have already noticed an improvement, but there's a LONG way to go.

John

Going now way, way back in time, my first set ever; four piece Apollo, purchased at Sears. Also of note in the photo, and extra cymbal for which I had no stand yet, a Revell USS constitution (never did finish that one, great shock there), a B-17, B-24 and B-25, all hanging from the ceiling. I also had a thing for Trolls back then, so had two as "mascots" on my small set.

First%20drums%201_zpsl7cldhwu.jpg

Ha, models hanging from the ceiling. Drums set up. It could be me.

Next week I may be making a short video. One was made soon after my release from hospital. My technique was poor. I'd been in hospital near death for a year at that stage so it is only to be expected.

I was going to do 1 per month. The last one was mostly talk as I thanked everyone in hospital. The next will just be playing. Much of my technique has now returned. Very strange playing with no feeling in one's hands or feet.

I was also very very tired at that point. One good thing is a student played with me. He's only 15 but is a virtual master now. I taught him since age 5.

It is me at my absolute worst. I've also lost about 40 kilos since then so am much slimmer. You can watch it if you like. The talking at the start goes for several minutes. Just fast forward if you like. My next one will be much better. I'll do another solo to check my technique but may also just put on a click and play time using 8 and 16 bar groupings so it has areas for verse and chorus. That way other musicians can play along.

At least with this you get to meet me, as it were, and see my personality. It may help to understand my stupid posts. :D

Let me see if this works..... :hmmm:

I put this video on my FB page. It compressed the heck out of it, so the sound quality could be better (and is on my computer). Highly recommend headphones for the best effect. This is just a quick clip that I took of myself trying to learn hand-over-hand, or "cross sticking" technique. My time is a little sketchy and there are plenty of screw ups, but I'm just learning this, so don't be too hard on me (but constructive criticism is always welcome, of course!).

EDIT: Got into my old Youtube account, so maybe this will work better.

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels