MY SCRATCH BUILT 1:20 SCALE B17G...phase 2

fozzy

With the amount of great work you have done so far I am sure you will figure it out this always happens to me when scratch building It suddenly dawns on me how to fix the problem.

Keep going mate this is one work of art you are building.

Guy

You need to go on and just scratchbuild the entire airplane, why not!

Tim

....because I don't think I have enough time in my life to finish it Tim!  :unsure:

Even made of balsa the weight may split the fuselage in two!

The balsa fuselage is covered with yogurt pot plastic and then a skin of aluminum...so the chances of it splitting is unlikely!....he says ...hopefully!!!

Hi chaps

Well here we go then...hopefully the wing roots/fillets are now sorted!...well at least the Port side.

I had to really think about it as the wing root starts from bellow the upper turret across the fuselage side of the bomb bay and tails off at the radio bay. Considering I have already completed the front end of this project it was difficult to get my head round it!worry.gif....so the only way I could see was to do it in 3 sections. 

Here is how I went about it.........I had made a balsa wood inner wing rib which was shown on the last post.....I first cut it into the 3 sections.......

gf%20001_zpsmedxdkza.jpg

I then glued the centre section of the cut onto the side of the bomb bay fuselage.....

gf%20006_zpsvlks9mww.jpg

Next up was to make 3 small balsa cuts...sand them into the shape that the fillets will be able to sit on......

gf%20002_zpssjzgapix.jpg

Now it was time to cut to shape the fillets out of good old yogurt pot plastic...cheap as chips!!!...this was done in two separate parts.........

jt_zps9p1lvlwg.jpg

....and finally glue them in position.........

oo%20001_zpsnlirlzy0.jpg

oo%20003_zps9pjiqkaw.jpg

I think that when I finally skin the bomb bay fuselage it will look the part!

So then......just so you can see what I am trying to achieve and the problems it has caused me here are a few ...hopefully obvious ....photos of the 2 sections together......taking these photos was a huge problem in it self...I had to balance the front section on top of the bomb bay....one puff of wind and it would have been curtains!!default_blush.png

fs%20004-crop_zps3huqetqe.jpg

fs%20003_zpsrlcpqpme.jpg

fs%20001_zpsilwyqnxn.jpg

I think you might get where I am going with this!

Being symmetrical of course means that I have to this all over again for the Starboard side!.....but of course I shouldn't have any problems as I have already had a trial run!

So until I have completed that I'll say ciao ciao for now!

Fozzy

Edited by fozzy

Well done, Martin. Man, that's a thick wing!  You've given me some ideas here for my Fury wing root.

The old girl would need all the lift she could get Jim! ;)

Cheers Guy!

Edited by fozzy

Hi Fozzy,

I am scratch building amongst other things a 1/20 MkVIII Spitfire still exploring how to do the wing fillets just looking at this build is giving me quite a few good ideas. This is the best kind of modelling out there for me this is such a unique build you have on your hands.

Guy

Hello to all

I am so, so disappointed with my self! :blush:

I just didn't do my home work and I am going to have to pay for it now!

One of the golden rules when scratch building ...as any scratch builders on this forum will know....is to do research...research...and more research before tackling any part of your build...this includes searching photos and info on the net...else you may well be wasting your time...not to mention materials!

Well I have just broken that rule and have wasted probably a week of modelling.

The mistake I made is not properly thinking the wing root through......when looking at photos of the real deal it occurred to me that what I was doing was just......pants! :BANGHEAD2:

Take a look at this B17 Starboard wing root minus the wing of course......

shell82of114_zpsb00df331-crop_zpscmx5m4w

You can see the area around the bomb bay is obviously not what I have started out to do...........

oo%20003_zps9pjiqkaw.jpg

This will mean that I have to basically ....start all over again!default_sad.png....I could leave it as it is ...but it just doesn't cut it!

So to that end I shall be away for a period while I rectify this stupid mistake!!default_huh.png...........laters!

Fozzy

Sorry to hear. Good luck with the rebuild.  Lots of constraints with SB. It's got to be buildable, it's got to fit (and fit with other parts to come later), it's got to be strong, and oh yeah,  it has to look just like the real thing! Sometimes gets in the way of an honest effort on all the other counts. A lot like juggling a 4th ball. This got me on my 262 project. I made the engines all nice and neat, I make the wings all nice and I got caught up in how they would mechanically mate but sort of forgot they ASLO have to mate in exactly the same way as the real thing. My inner nitpicker could not stand them being too low and had to do it all over again. The plane barely survived all the ripping and tearing. (shudders)

Edited by Jim Barry