1:32 Tornado GR1, operation desert storm.

viperfixer

After finishing my Thunderbolt I went straight into the next one. This is of course the Revell kit, built an IDS version once about 20 years ago when I was a teenager, but that wasn't very good so I took it apart and stripped the paint because ever since I saw them on TV during desert storm I always wanted to have one in desert scheme. However, the plastic of my old kit turned out to be in pretty bad shape, so I bought a new one, this time the ECR. During the last two years I already collected a lot of aftermarket products, so I thought I better do it right, and the kits are not that expensive anyway.

Here's what I've got:

dscf6390q.jpg

dscf6391l.jpg

Did some assembly of major parts and some resin casting block removal already, no pictures yet, maybe next weekend.

I know it's been done many times before but still hope someone will be interested.

Thanks guys!

I'm interested! Looking forward to the work on the wings. That's quite an expensive set, no? Anyway, have fun!

Nic

Sorry, I have to disappoint you, this set doesn't include the flaps and slats, that's another one. I will leave the wings as they are, although I like the look of everything open, it's just to much work I'm afraid.

Small update, assembled some of the bigger parts and some other easy construction to get a bit of the spreus out of the way. Also removed some resin casting blocks and cut of the kit glare shield to make room for the resin one.

I did spent a lot of time on the fuel tanks. It was pretty time consuming to cut them out and sand the edges down. Had to make some plastic circles to put inside for reinforcement and alignment, otherwise I think it's impossible to put them together. After putting the halfs together it will still require a lot of putty and sanding to get the seam away. Not sure if the end result will be anywhere near decent, but I have to try.

dscf6392f.jpg

dscf6396g.jpg

Also glued the photo etched plates on top of the intakes. Still needs some more putty to make them look like one piece, but there's surface structure on there now.

dscf6398d.jpg

dscf6400i.jpg

dscf6401t.jpg

That's it for now!

Edited by viperfixer

• 1 month later...

Finally a new update. Didn't have so much time, only a few hours during weekends, Slowly eating my way through the pile of PE parts, time consuming work. Also got the courage to glue together the big fuel tanks. Fit wasn't good, but I've been working on one of them for a while and got it pretty decent already so now I think they can turn out good enough to put on the plane. I was prepared to throw them away first if it would turn out bad.

Also made some improvement to the small intake that goes under the front fuselage. Put some plastic card inside and sanded it down from inside so the edges don't look so thick anymore, in reality it's just thin sheet. Added some detail to the outside of the fuselage like opening vents and exhausts.

Well, here's some pics to prove that I actually did something:

n440.jpg

Fuel tanks. Right one didn't have the putty and sanding treatment yet.

i8ph.jpg

je51.jpg

The one in the back was about as bad as the one in front but it looks a lot better now.

nd5m.jpg

Two of eight wings for the tanks folded and soldered already. Bought a cheap soldering device for this but it burned out almost immediately. Now I'm waiting for a more expensive soldering station that I ordered. Can't do without it here!

mtnc.jpg

inside canopy frame in progress.

zl4t.jpg

outside canopy frame in progress.

xzu2.jpg

Small intake.

679.JPG

w6v9.jpg

Filled in the round antenna shape and put the PE part on. Still have to scratch build the 2 antenna's.

ub24.jpg

This was completely closed on the kit so I opened it up because it actually is an opening for an exhaust, witch I still have to make.

Edited by viperfixer

a728.jpg

0aw8.jpg

Trust reverse mechanism.

zcg9.jpg

Also been experimenting on ways to make the intake covers. This should look good when painted and glued in place, but not sure yet if I'll go for this, maybe I'll experiment some more.

That's it for now, hopefully next update will be a bit sooner!

One more thing, forgot to mention that I never used any vacuformed stuff before, so the bad fit of the tanks is probably because of my inexperience with the material. An experienced modeller might have no problem with them. So I don't blame the product, only myself. After all I'm happy to have them!

Viper fixer, nice project you have going here. I have one GR.1 sitting aside for Mig Eater. I like the PE set you are using. It sure adds a lot of nice detail to the kit. As for the vacuform parts...you ain't alone. I've tried my hand on it and it was not all that great the first time around, but next time around will be better...now that I now what to do next time around. So, I'm sure you'll be fine as well. Beside, if you can fix a Viper then stinky plastic tanks are no match to you skills ;)