Matchbox Emil

LSP_Kevin

Well folks, time to throw my hat into the ring. I'll be building Matchbox's venerable Bf 109E kit. Matchbox purports it to be an E-3, but I haven't really looked closely enough to vouch for that. I have to thank LSP member Alfonso for sending me this kit for the price of postage. Thanks Alfonso! In order to save on postage, Alfonso tossed away the original box, removed most of the sprues, and bagged and labelled everything separately:

post-3071-1282134504.jpg

The original decals are also gone, but it's not like I was going to use them anyway. While I haven't decided yet exactly how to tackle this build, I did pull out what aftermarket stuff I had for 1/32 Emils, most of which is intended for the Hasegawa kit:

post-3071-1282134537.jpg

I have no idea how well the Verlinden set will interface with this kit, but I'm gonna find out! I've got some other bits and bobs lying around somewhere too, including some leftover Eagle Strike decals. Must dig them out. Thanks too, to Keith (Allok) for the Squadron canopy. I used one on my Hasegawa build, but wasn't completely successful with it. I'm hoping this entire build goes better than that one did! I won't be starting it for a while, however, as I've currently got my hands full with my 262 for the Russ GB.

Kev

Good to have you on board mate!

Dodgy looking crew on here so far!

Nasty rumour Brian might be joining us soon with a thing with strings!!!!!

Looking forward to seeing this one. Saw all the grief you had with the previous one.

Top tip here, don't display the guns or engine this time. Glue the engine cowlings on!!! :speak_cool:

Phil

Hey kev

Looking forward to seeing your build.

Always wanted to build one of these (Matchbox), irrespective

of accuracy, they seem to have a (to me anyway) a real status about them :speak_cool:

Regards

Alan

You're right mate. Compared to the Hasegawa kit it looks quite crude in detail and execution, but I think the general consensus is that it's much more accurate in overall outline. I'll be attempting to deal with some of the clunky surface detailing, and I'll see what I can make of the hodge-podge of aftermarket stuff I have for the details.

Kev

Kev

I found that if you sand fuselage wings etc the panel lines start to sharpen up somewhat.

If you want, I have a lot of spare parts from Eduard 109E due to building a Jumo powered version using an A2Z set. Could be some useful stuff...?

Matt

Kev

I found that if you sand fuselage wings etc the panel lines start to sharpen up somewhat.

If you want, I have a lot of spare parts from Eduard 109E due to building a Jumo powered version using an A2Z set. Could be some useful stuff...?

Matt

Sounds good Matt! I've got another one of these kits in the stash, so if I don't use everything on this build, I'll use it on that one. I'll PM you when I get a moment.

Kev

• 5 years later...

Well, this is a bit of a blast from the past! I can see that this one never really went anywhere. Despite that, I still have every intention of building it, so I've I've moved it out of the BoB GB, and here to the WiP forum in preparation. I don't imagine I'll get to it any time soon, but at least it's in the right place, now.

Thanks for the prod, Maru! I actually have two of these kits now, and may well backdate the other one to B/C/D configuration. Ah, so many kits, so little time!

Kev

Sadly, Maru, I just don't have any time for actual modelling at the moment. LSP duties are taking up most of my free time, and my day job is killing me right now. Still, I plan to get back to the bench soon(ish), and when I do, there's plenty waiting for me!

Kev

• 2 months later...

So any thoughts on starting this again Kev... in between other chores .

:please: thank you

Sorry, Maru, but not at this stage. My current work on upgrading the website is coming to an end soon, after which I plan to attack the workbench with a vengeance! But this project will have to take a backseat until I can clear away some other projects. But don't worry, it's definitely going to happen!

Kev