#1 SimonCornes

SimonCornes

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

Hi Paul

After your foray into the world of Meteors, have you considered doing the same with the Vampire and Venom? The Vampire is pretty well catered for in 1/48th by Alleycat but it would be very nice to have both single and twin seaters available in 1/32nd? The only kit in existence right now being the Matchbox Sea Venom /Venom NF2. Not too big either.

Cheers

Simon

• Anthony in NZ, scvrobeson, harvey and 2 others like this

Simon

IPMS:10736

#2 Anthony in NZ

Anthony in NZ

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:04 PM

Ooooh yes!  Cant believe we don't have a Vampire yet.  How awesome would that be!!

• scvrobeson and David66 like this

#3 Alburymodeler

Alburymodeler

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:36 PM

The vampire is the biggest omission in the world of 1/32 scale kits.

• Anthony in NZ, scvrobeson, David66 and 4 others like this

#4 Anthony in NZ

Anthony in NZ

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 08:53 PM

Hear hear!

• David66 likes this

#5 MikeA

MikeA

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:00 AM

Yes please! Still my favourite jet.

Mike
  • Anthony in NZ and David66 like this

#6 SimonCornes

SimonCornes

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 09:01 AM

On reflection I can imagine that the mastering process is considerably more complicated with a single jet compared to the twin jet Meteor where, in essence, the nacelles are just straight through pipes. Imagine the level of work required to create in resin a bifurcated intake? Now we all know that Paul can do it in his sleep - it would give me nightmares! - but I guess he has a lot of projects already. It would be great if he could break into the Vampire/Venom family though!
  • Anthony in NZ, Harold, David66 and 1 other like this

Simon

#7 paul fisher

paul fisher

Hooked For Life

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 03:36 PM

I agree that the Vampire is conspicuous by it's absence....Some years ago a Canadian model maker showed masters for one at the IPMS Nats, in 2006 or maybe 2008...I wasn't there, but have been told it was fabulous . I've been waiting to see it finished ever since , have no idea what happened but I do have a bit of a start on a single seat Venom conversion that my friend Brian Fawcett began and then sent to me...I would love to finish it up someday but need more data.

Paul

• Anthony in NZ, Kagemusha, Harold and 2 others like this

#8 SimonCornes

SimonCornes

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 January 2017 - 10:22 PM

Hi Paul
I assume the conversion is for the Matchbox Venom? I imagine you will have done this already but John Adams of Aeroclub is probably the De Havilland expert - certainly for the Hornet and Vampire/Venom family. He may be persuaded to help but I know he has felt ripped off by certain manufacturers east of the UK - but you are Paul Fisher and if thats not worth something then I didn't know what is!!
Simon
  • Anthony in NZ, Harold and David66 like this

Simon

#9 LSP_Ray

LSP_Ray

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,141 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 12:48 AM

I agree that the Vampire is conspicuous by it's absence....Some years ago a Canadian model maker showed masters for one at the IPMS Nats, in 2006 or maybe 2008...I wasn't there, but have been told it was fabulous . I've been waiting to see it finished ever since , have no idea what happened but I do have a bit of a start on a single seat Venom conversion that my friend Brian Fawcett began and then sent to me...I would love to finish it up someday but need more data.

Paul

Yes, I conversed with him and sent him some photos of the aircraft at McMinnville. Sent an e-mail about a year ago and never heard back.

Posted Image
Ray "Bad Omen" Peterson

#10 Anthony in NZ

Anthony in NZ

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 04:22 AM

Cant really help with Venoms Paul, but have access to a couple of Vampires if needed...

• David66 likes this

#11 paul fisher

paul fisher

Hooked For Life

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

Hi Paul
I assume the conversion is for the Matchbox Venom? I imagine you will have done this already but John Adams of Aeroclub is probably the De Havilland expert - certainly for the Hornet and Vampire/Venom family. He may be persuaded to help but I know he has felt ripped off by certain manufacturers east of the UK - but you are Paul Fisher and if thats not worth something then I didn't know what is!!
Simon

John has already kindly helped me on many projects, and has supplied drawings of the Venom, and I thank you for the compliment!

Perhaps I can make time to work on the Venom later this year, I don't know for sure what the future holds for my little venture,the times they are a changing...

Best, 

Paul

• Anthony in NZ, Harold and David66 like this

#12 SimonCornes

SimonCornes

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:42 PM

Ooops, that sounds ominous Paul! Well I hope that you are able to work out a future that continues to give we selfish modellers such excellent products but, very much like John A, none of us are getting any younger and its very easy for us on the other side of the computer screen to forget that there its more to you than the products you produce! I know that here in the UK we expect Aeroclub products to be available forever but that just isn't so and we are just as grateful for what John can produce, especially as we know what he is capable of, if only there was the time but John's daughter draws a line I think and we can only expect and accept that you to Paul have other things to do. I still hope you can do something to help the DH stable though and is your NF Meteor NLA ? 

Cheers

Simon

• Anthony in NZ and Harold like this

Simon

#13 Anthony in NZ

Anthony in NZ

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,564 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:59 PM

Ooops, that sounds ominous Paul! Well I hope that you are able to work out a future that continues to give we selfish modellers such excellent products but, very much like John A, none of us are getting any younger and its very easy for us on the other side of the computer screen to forget that there its more to you than the products you produce! I know that here in the UK we expect Aeroclub products to be available forever but that just isn't so and we are just as grateful for what John can produce, especially as we know what he is capable of, if only there was the time but John's daughter draws a line I think and we can only expect and accept that you to Paul have other things to do. I still hope you can do something to help the DH stable though and is your NF Meteor NLA ? 

Cheers

Simon

Well said, I couldn't have put it better myself!

#14 Alain Gadbois

Alain Gadbois

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:52 AM

Hello guys!

I am the one working on the 1/32 scale Vampire. Progress is slow as I do a lot of contract work with molds and castings for many customers, and I also have kids growing up!

It is far more simple to produce simple resin correction and detail sets than complete kits, and the Vampire is complex. So I managed to make prop and spinner sets mostly (Fusion Models).

The Vampire is certainly missing in 1/32 scale, but also a really accurate one in 1/48. The only accurate one now is the Airfix 1/72  kit.

For such a well known aircraft, it is very poorly documented and most scale plans are very bad. This is surprising as so many examples exist just about everywhere!

Sorry Ray for not getting back! Your photos of the cockpit were helpful as they helped to detail a section of the cockpit I couldn't see clearly in photos.

Here is a quick update of the work done:

Fuselage is done with engraving to add to the rear portion. Cockpit floor sides and back sections made but still without fittings.

Booms and tail planes are being worked on now with different versions planned for at the start (F1, F3 up, two seaters)

Wings have not been started.

I have almost finished the front landing gear and the main wheels, but not the main gear legs.

I was lucky to be able to measure the F3 in Ottawa before it was jacked-up 15 feet up!

I picked up a lot of technical info from the tech manuals and various sources such as books and photos on the net.

I do plan on finishing it and it will be accurate in shape!

If any are interested in photos I can make some of the kit parts as they are now...

Regards,

Alain Gadbois

• paul fisher, Alburymodeler and MikeC like this

#15 wunwinglow

wunwinglow

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:21 AM

Keep us all posted Alain! Sounds like a great project, and I for one would be happy to join the queue for one if your kit goes on sale!

Tim

My Father told me two things would happen as I got older.
I can't remember either of them....

FLYINGSTART_TITLE%20SMALL.JPG

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users