• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,337 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:55 PM

My experience also.  I don't know if I looked for several years, but it was quite some time.

I finally gave up and used the XS models conversion....which is both poor and overpriced and I do not recommend it.

Now that the Tamiya Corsair is out, I wonder if Paul Fisher would consider making the "definitive" F2G conversion...?  I know it was discussed at one time....

With the above brought up in the vendors board about the OP wanting the Obscureco set which has been OOP for a VERY long time now, and the LS F2G conversion................well let me just say, way less than desirable if Im honest (and that is putting it mildly) is something like a FM&P F2G Corsair conversion ever been thought of seriously Paul?

It could even be BETTER than the Obcureco set, as even those now do not really come up for sale, and when they do, they can go for outrageous sums.

With the Tamiya kit being one of THE most gorgeous kits out there, and the way your resin looks, If possible, I think it could be great set. 

Inquiring minds would LOVE to buy one!

Edited by Out2gtcha, 30 June 2016 - 06:58 PM.

• David G, harvey, David66 and 2 others like this

#2 Zero77

Zero77

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,498 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:17 PM

I dont know the Obcureco set. I dont know the XS model either, but i have a few other kits from XS, and the quality asks for a lot of work.

The Lone Star conversion looks good, and is designed for the Revell kit. So it need a bit of work to bring the old Revell kit to a modern standard, but at least it keeps the costs low.

Now, a top quality Fisher conversion designed for the Tamiya kit, why not? But it would be quite expensive as the kit only costs about 120€.

A good and extensive decal set would be appreciated. And why not an alternative conversion set to build the Budweiser racer?

Edited by Zero77, 30 June 2016 - 07:21 PM.

• harvey, Out2gtcha and David66 like this

Still on the bench : Tamiya F-15E, Fly Ba349, WnW Roland D.VIa, Revell EC-145, Kinetic F-86F-30, Tamiya F-4E, Revell Bae Hawk T.1a, Williams Bros Gee Bee R, Trumpeter F8F Bearcat, Hasegawa + Lone Star models Curtiss Hawk III, Roden Nieuport 27, WNW DH.2, Alleycat Gloster Gamecock

Finished : F-16C Barak, F-4J VMF333, Czech Mig-19PM, Bell X-1, Russian Su-25 in Chechnya, Ta152H-1, Czech Avia S.199, Heinkel He162, Swiss AF Bf109G-6, Regia Aeronautica Bf109G-6, P-47D "Slick Chick", RFC Sopwith Pup, A5M2 Claude, Schneider Cup 1926 Macchi M.39, German F-104G JaboG34, Curtiss P-6E, Curtiss P-36A USAAC, Piper SuperCub floatplane (PA-18-150), Russian built Nieuport 11, Albatros D.Va Seefrontstaffel 1, Bf109G-12 (two-seater trainer), Texas ANG F-86D,  Post-war Hawker Tempest Mk.V

#3 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,337 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:32 PM

I dont know the Obcureco set. I dont know the XS model either, but i have a few other kits from XS, and the quality asks for a lot of work.

The Lone Star conversion looks good, and is designed for the Revell kit. So it need a bit of work to bring the old Revell kit to a modern standard, but at least it keeps the costs low.

Now, a top quality Fisher conversion designed for the Tamiya kit, why not? But it would be quite expensive as the kit only costs about 120€.

A good and extensive decal set would be appreciated. And why not an alternative conversion set to build the Budweiser racer?

I can speak for the XS models conversion kit Nicolas. Its...............well...................it asks for a LOT of work.   Ive not ever really seen such porous resin ever in my life.   The whole thing is just about over the top for me, to have to correct a conversion set, then correct the kit it was meant for.

If there was an accurate set out there for a gorgeous kit like the Tam F4U, that would be a wallet opener for me personally. 

Edited by Out2gtcha, 30 June 2016 - 07:33 PM.

• harvey, David66 and Zero77 like this

#4 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 37,846 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:31 PM

This is just FYI only, but the Obscureco set was mastered by Rodney Williams, and he details his process across several articles on our website. A worthwhile read if you want to see what the set was like. (I'll post a link if I can find them.)

Kev

• harvey, Out2gtcha and David66 like this

#5 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,337 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:37 PM

This is just FYI only, but the Obscureco set was mastered by Rodney Williams, and he details his process across several articles on our website. A worthwhile read if you want to see what the set was like. (I'll post a link if I can find them.)

Kev

Yep!  Rodneys multi-part articles were exactly where I started when I started hunting around for an Obscureco set. Actually it was his multi-part article that also got me to settle on one of the interim Corsairs that had a F4U-1 style fastback with the corncob upfront, instead of having to go FULL F2G and dive into the XS set. I also planned on modifying a Tamiya kit as well, which would be a MUCH more pleasant starting place than the Revell kit.  

Its SO hard to find, and the XS set is nearly not worth even building that a FM&P version would be the bees knees. 

Edited by Out2gtcha, 30 June 2016 - 08:39 PM.

#6 paul fisher

paul fisher

Hooked For Life

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:43 PM

Many thanks for the compliments, I am a big fan of the F-2G also, but between Rodney's encyclopedic  conversion and the others out there I fear the market for another one

would be too small to make it pay. I would love to be proved wrong on this, so I guess we'll see what the future holds, but right now I have to get some other stuff finished before I jump into anything new.

Have a happy 4th !

• thierry laurent, KAGNEW, Michael931080 and 3 others like this

#7 blackbetty

blackbetty

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:47 AM

how about a AU-1 or -5N/P conversion?

• David66, Zero77 and Vandy 1 VX 4 like this
back after 20 years

#8 thierry laurent

thierry laurent

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,385 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 11:20 AM

Indeed, in spite of the terrific look some prototypes have, the market for them is not very large if they did not have a major historical significance (like the early X planes) and if some similar conversions were already released.

The work to make a F2G master is far from being light and I guess that Paul will logically allocate first his time to produce kits that will be more profitable. It is possibly a pity but this is the hard law of economics for kits, conversion sets, decals and a lot of other things...

A conversion to a Korean warplane (such as Bordelon one) would be easier and surely more attractive for a lot of people.

T.

• Out2gtcha, David66 and Zero77 like this

#9 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,337 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 01:40 PM

I definitely can concur on the potential work involved in the conversion.  Not impossible, but yes, a lot of work indeed. 

A conversion to a Korean warplane (such as Bordelon one) would be................... more attractive for a lot of people.

I cant really agree with that however. Im not sure how many "a lot" of people is, but It would not even be a close 2nd for me, or anyone I know who loves the F2G.

Thats all opinion however.  Others mileage may vary.  

#10 Gene

Gene

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 01 July 2016 - 03:06 PM

The amount of work vs. sales is certainly an important issue - I couldn't even guess on the attractiveness of an F2G to the general LSP'ers.  A big part of the issue would be how complicated the conversion is.  The Obscuro set, well founded in R Williams authenticity, was intimidating in complexity - I had one and finally traded it to a fellow modeler.  Later I picked up the LS conversion and have actually done quite a bit of work wedding the fuselage to the tired resin pieces; it was a long steep uphill battle.  When I finally saw a very faint glimmer of light at the top of the mountain, I put it away for awhile to re-compose and find something more immediately rewarding.  A complete fuselage replacement and basic one piece fuselage would be a welcome offering.  And of course, some finely done decals.  Of course, all IMHO <_<

And that corncob radial, an amazing engine that powers only 3 remaining aircraft, could be greatly simplified also.  In fact, that is how I came to get into LS F2G - I wanted a corncob radial to put into a Sea Fury conversion to Dreadnought.  Sadly, I got stalled on both projects!  However, Fisher could use the work on a corncob to double up with a conversion for his Sea Fury trainer :innocent:

Edited by Gene, 01 July 2016 - 03:12 PM.

• David66 likes this

#11 MustangManiac

MustangManiac

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:18 AM

I've never owned the Obscureco conversion set as of now, I almost got one last week but finally gave up and let the other person pay out the nose on ebay and kept my money...a final bid of $382.00 for the conversion and the old revell kit and a book on the F2G. I have a couple of the Lone Star ones and really wanted to build them side by side to compare the differences between the two. The Lone Star ones don't look too bad of a conversion but I can't speak from experience yet.

Anyway I'd love to see Mr. Fisher do an F2G. My only real request would be to have the optional parts to do a standard stock F2G with original air intake and Military markings, not be limited to only racers. I have his Red Baron racer and it's beautiful, so I know he has the skills. If Paul had any questions I'm sure Rodney could help him too. I'd go for a Super Corsair from Fisher's models long before any Korean war plane other than some HVAR rockets and rails for my Tamiya P-51D/K kit to make an F-51D/K or an RF-51D/K from the 45th TRS. If they made the F2G and rockets and rails I'd probably go for both sets really.

Brady

Edited by LSP_Kevin, 02 July 2016 - 03:40 AM.

• David66 and Zero77 like this

#12 MustangManiac

MustangManiac

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:21 AM

I've got to also say if I could use a Tamiya Corsair instead of an old Revell bird I'd love that about the quality too.

Brady

#13 Bryan

Bryan

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:32 AM

I think the F2G has a huge fascination for modelers and warbird enthusiasts far out of proportion to the number of actual aircraft built.

A few years ago I built a replica of F2G "Race 57" and posted pictures of the result here and on ...umm...another modelling forum.  That build generated far more interest (FAR more) than anything else I have ever built.

I'm not sure whether or not that would translate into people buying a lot of F2G conversion kits....but I think it is at least a positive indicator.  If there was a Fisher conversion....and I could use the Tamiya kit as the basis rather than the Revell or Trumpy one....I would definitely build another F2G.  But that's just me....

Having said all that, I'm sure Mr. Fisher has a far greater appreciation of the economic realities of resin kit marketing than we do.

Edited by Bryan, 02 July 2016 - 03:34 AM.

• Out2gtcha and David66 like this

#14 MustangManiac

MustangManiac

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:22 AM

I'd still go for more than one if I could use a Tamiya kit. Thank you Paul for your time of reading this and considering our requests. You have a Happy 4th too!

Brady

• Out2gtcha likes this

#15 paul fisher

paul fisher

Hooked For Life

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:34 PM

Thanks to all of you for jumping in and expressing your opinions, it's a great help to us to hear what is really of interest to everyone.

I like both the military and the racer F-2G's...Somewhere in the pile of stuff upstairs is a 1/72 F-2G converted from the ancient Hawk Corsair back about 1971....It's an old love affair....Like I said, we'll see what happens.

Paul

• Michael931080, Out2gtcha and David66 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users