73 replies to this topic

#61 paul fisher

paul fisher

Hooked For Life

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 02:35 PM

I'm trying to work up a small set of goodies for F-8's, nosewheels, leg, antennae and such, and if I can I will do up a set of proper Y racks, I just need to make more hours in the day. have another rather nice conversion in the works too, so lots to do

• AnthonyWan, Tony T, harvey and 1 other like this

#62 AnthonyWan

AnthonyWan

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 11 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

We ran out of photoetch for the RF-8's, more is on the way so it won't be long.

Sorry about that...I don't buy as much P/E up front as I used to as we can never tell how well a particular model will sell.

Paul

Excellent. Can't wait for my set in the mail. ;) 

• harvey likes this

#63 Jack

Jack

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:21 PM

got mine today and fondled it carefully, the RF8G that is, but i'm still "confused" on which basic Crusader, the E or the J version (i have 'em both) i should be using in respect to the larger horizontal tail??

Any final solution?

TIA

Jack.

• harvey likes this

everyone in the circuit switch off your radios....now switch 'em back on again......

#64 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,555 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:29 PM

Jack, from what I've read here on LSP, either will work. But the "E" is the best starting point......Harv

• Jack likes this

There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away
working on:  Tamiya F4U-2 Night Fighter
Trump P-38M BACK ON BENCH FINISHED!!!

#65 Jack

Jack

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:44 PM

Harv, thanks for the info, but somewhere i learned that the RF versions had the larger tailplane planform, and that would be consistent with the "J" version release.

And indeed at first i also thought the "E" trump release would be THE kit to start this conversion with.

anyhow, looking at my building pace, this conversion will be completed when the proverbial hell freezes over........ :doh:

• harvey likes this

everyone in the circuit switch off your radios....now switch 'em back on again......

#66 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,555 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:52 PM

Yeah, mine too !.........Harv

• Jack likes this

There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away
working on:  Tamiya F4U-2 Night Fighter
Trump P-38M BACK ON BENCH FINISHED!!!

#67 Finn

Finn

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 03:55 AM

According to the RF-8G Flight Manual, mentioned earlier in this thread, the tail span was 18' 2.4", same as the F-8E. The J had a tail span of 19' 4".

Jari

• Jack and harvey like this

#68 mark31

mark31

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 02:00 PM

Thanks for the nice conversion have one Right now and jus look great

Thanks Paul

Mark
  • harvey likes this

#69 paul fisher

paul fisher

Hooked For Life

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:14 PM

Thanks to all of you who are supporting our little business...We can't do it without you!

Best, 

Paul

• Jack, LSP_Kevin, harvey and 3 others like this

#70 Bill M.

Bill M.

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 03:28 PM

I just saw this post. Great news on the other F-8 parts, particularly the Y racks. Thanks for this!
Bill M.

I'm trying to work up a small set of goodies for F-8's, nosewheels, leg, antennae and such, and if I can I will do up a set of proper Y racks, I just need to make more hours in the day. have another rather nice conversion in the works too, so lots to do

• harvey likes this

#71 David Hansen

David Hansen

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:32 PM

Harv, thanks for the info, but somewhere i learned that the RF versions had the larger tailplane planform, and that would be consistent with the "J" version release.

And indeed at first i also thought the "E" trump release would be THE kit to start this conversion with.

anyhow, looking at my building pace, this conversion will be completed when the proverbial hell freezes over........ :doh:

There has been a lot of confusion about the tailplanes on the RF-8, the high point being the falsehood that the tailplanes were actually reduced in size to make the plane go faster. This has never been proven.

The F-8J got the larger UHT to go along with the "Double Droop" wing leading edge. This was an effort to improve pitch authority to allow lower speeds (for the French F-8E(FN)) and higher weights (For the F8U-3). The F8U-1P and RF-8G did not get these mods. One other thing i forgot was the double droop also got BLC to go with it, which Crusader pilot Tom Weinel characterized as a 1200 pound mistake.

So.... the answer is the "E" model should be the starting point.

-d-

• Jack, harvey and mark31 like this

#72 David Hansen

David Hansen

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 06:39 PM

Excellent. Muwahahahahahahaha!!

• Jack and harvey like this

#73 Jack

Jack

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 05:47 PM

There has been a lot of confusion about the tailplanes on the RF-8, the high point being the falsehood that the tailplanes were actually reduced in size to make the plane go faster. This has never been proven.

The F-8J got the larger UHT to go along with the "Double Droop" wing leading edge. This was an effort to improve pitch authority to allow lower speeds (for the French F-8E(FN)) and higher weights (For the F8U-3). The F8U-1P and RF-8G did not get these mods. One other thing i forgot was the double droop also got BLC to go with it, which Crusader pilot Tom Weinel characterized as a 1200 pound mistake.

So.... the answer is the "E" model should be the starting point.

-d-

Ok that should clear that up, thanks for the info David!!

• harvey likes this

#74 Darren Howie

Darren Howie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:03 AM

My pair arrived safely.
Wow fit is typical Fisher in short beautiful.
Not sure how you do it Paul.
Great stuff...
  • paul fisher, otis252, mark31 and 1 other like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users