A-1H US NAVY Skyraider (Trumpeter A-1J kit - 1/32)

alaninaustria

Hi Alan

you are correct, USAF aircraft had the 'drop down' lights, and USN ones had the light on the leading edges of the wings. The USAF simply faired or painted over these.

The antenna / beacon on top of the tail was applicable to both USN and USAF machines.  Some USAF machines has different antenna variations, so some of them had a small antenna just forward of the tail beacon.  It was 'beer can' shaped and can be replicated with simple plastic rod.  If you are building a specific machine, be careful to check whether it has this feature.

ps the 'H' kit does have the armour plating.  My assumption is that Trumpeter has simply provided different box art for their 'J', although I'm really hoping that they would have corrected the missing / inaccurate pieces.  I don't wish to ruin your build thread by any means, but these inaccuracies may or may not be of interest to you. Note also that the 'H' kit's cockpit (and as a result, windshield and canopy) is a bit too wide.  That's why, if you use the Aires cockpit set (designed for the accurate ZM kit) you'll notice that the instrument dashboard is too narrow.

But you are correct, in most other areas the detail on this particular series of kits is really excellent

Edited by richdlc

Quick update: started the engine... and, I have to say that Trumpeter didn't really capture the real essence of the Wright R-3350 engine.... But, the good news is that it will be buried deep in the engine cowling and with all the wide chord prop blades etc. the conical cylinder shapes won't be noticeable! I can't believe they didn't get this right!!

However, with that said the kit is still very nice and goes together well!

I also corrected the wing leading edge taxi/landing lights!! Since I will be building a US NAVY bird - it is appropriate to stay with the wing leading edge lights!! Thanks again for all the feedback, direction and help guys!!

Cheers

Alan

Jack: the kit prop needs a replacement.... Trumpeter didn't retool the prop blades unfortunately!!

Rich: yes, it does look like Trumpeter just re-boxed the H kit into a J kit!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info guys! I too had read earlier that the Yankee extraction system was found in "some" US NAVY birds.... I've since corrected the LE taxi/landing lights!

Cheers

Alan

... One of the many aspects of the hobby I really enjoy: learning about the machine I'm modeling!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Alan, like your approach to the "home made" detailing, that's the way to do it in my book :speak_cool:

Btw, saw your search for the Zuni pods, can't help you there, since another LSP'er already got the pods i didn't use on the Crusader, but maybe i can find another set.

great build,

Jack.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally found some time to finish off the cockpit...

imagejpg1_zps84cb68b2.jpg

... Airscale cockpit placards used to spice up the cockpit sidewalls!

imagejpg2_zps94bed6d8.jpg

imagejpg7_zps0ca07157.jpg

imagejpg5_zps6dca9a0a.jpg

imagejpg3_zps05e9487e.jpg

The original kit instrument panel was used and I only added Airscale cockpit decals and a drop of Future (Klear) to mimic the instrument glass! The gunsight glass is a drop of 5 minute epoxy!! The real aircraft had a curved gunsight glass but this is the best I could do!! Gunze clear green painted on the edges to add some realism!

imagejpg8_zpsca7fbed1.jpg

Slowly but surely!! Next up is closing the fuselage up and rescribing a few panel lines, and beginning the painting of the engine!

This kit is a real treat, and I'm enjoying the build immensely! I just wish I had more time to work on it!!

Cheers

Alan

Edited by alaninaustria