The venerable Revell Seafire

mgbooyv8

Thanks guys.

And yes, the clothes line was raided....years ago! :rolleyes:

Sooo handy.

Not too much trouble showed up. Only one seam in need of attention. Ofcourse right on top of the nose.

Some minor faults could be camouflaged with PVA glue. Next coat will be matt dark blue as a base for gloss blue.

As the Brits did not use midnight blue - as far as I know it came only with their American planes in the Pacific -

I'll settle for overall Xtracolour Roundel Blue on this Spitfire. The white stripe on the fuselage indicates some kind of party scheme.

Peter

And here the other view with roundel blue

post-4267-1204489414.jpg

Next day... no gloss coat of the paint, the matt undercoat was still too rough for an even finish.

Ah well, after a bit of rub down in the evening:

post-4267-1204489554.jpg

post-4267-1204489571.jpg

Now, the next coat of Roundel blue should be OK.

Stay tuned!

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Just back after the paint shop, here's an update.

Dave, I also haven't seen this scheme before, but it came as second option with the Revell kit (the first option is a standard camouflaged Royal Navy Seafire).

I know there was a French stunt team with red, white and blue Spitfires but these were Mk.IX's and the blue one was in French Blue.

The new coat of Roundel Blue after rub down was ok. A bit of polishing was sufficient, so over to the decals.

In the first half of the nineties, Revell issued terrible decals with their kits, inflexible and resistent to Micro Sol and Set, and my Spitty is from 1992....

The white fuselage stripe is given in two pieces each side, but broke up in several more.

The roundels lost some of their edges. The decal sheet gives you only 4 roundels, but the Revell colour scheme

shows 6. However, the fuselage roundels are not numbered so the're not supossed to be there?

As the Royal Navy usually used 6 positions, there was no option than to make two extra roundels.

I made them with the inkjet printer on white decal sheet and placed them on the underside of the wings.

Using DACO decal setting (the strongest version), the Revell decals settled down nicely over the rivets and other details.

These horrible old decals can be made to conform!

By the way, last year this version of the Revell Seafire was issued in Great Britain, meaning the decals should now be OK.

However, the sheet design is the same so there are still two dual colored roundels too short.

This morning the Seafire received a satin gloss coat. For this I use Johnsons Klear with a bit of Tamiya flatting agent.

Here is the result:

post-4267-1205685372.jpg

post-4267-1205685385.jpg

Now, it's only touching up, fitting the final parts, highlighting details etc.

Finished before March 31 must be possible!!

Peter