Derek B

Removal of the Milliput inserts from the wings:

SG500patterns29-2-12001.jpg

SG500patterns27-2-12016.jpg

SG500patterns29-2-12002.jpg

SG500patterns29-2-12003.jpg

SG500patterns29-2-12007.jpg

SG500patterns29-2-12009.jpg

These inserts will now have to be chopped and squared, and I may need to shim them as well...more progress to follow...

Derek

The SG500 jagdfaust is still progressing well, but as I was completing my Spitfire universal bomb carrier box artwork, I decided to really get ahead and do likewise for my SG500 box artwork as well, so here it is:

EMDA32007SG500boxartpic.jpg

Cheers

Derek

Excellent stuff Derek!

What a great tip on the milliput, I should get myself the Tee shirt as well!

I always enjoy seeing your work, your solutions to problems and ideas are a source of inspiration to me.

Excellent stuff Derek!

What a great tip on the milliput, I should get myself the Tee shirt as well!

I always enjoy seeing your work, your solutions to problems and ideas are a source of inspiration to me.

Thanks Frank - You're too kind!:blush:

Derek

• 1 month later...

Mmmm...good tips on the milliput there Derek. Thanks for that. That will help me out no end. I do love the Komet. What a ride....R1 pilots only...hehe

Cheers Matty

Hi Matty,

:)

I have completed the inserts and I'm now workng on the tubes (I have wasted two already; I made them 0,4mm undersize!). I have no idea at present how I am going to manage to drill out the inserts and mount all eight tubes at exactly the same distance, angles and alignment...we'll see?

Glad that you found the Milliput tips useful ;)

Cheers

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Small update. I have now cut my eight Jagdfaust tuebes (screwed up five more in the process!) and am now in the process of thinning and shaping them all. I will have to make the SG 500 rounds for them next before I attempt to install them into the wing inserts (the scary bit!).

SG500001.jpg

SG500002.jpg

Derek

Extremely cool project. I really want one of these.

Will we have to use brass tubing in the kit? It seems the best way to do the tubes given casting limitations.

Thanks,

Tnarg

Extremely cool project. I really want one of these.

Will we have to use brass tubing in the kit? It seems the best way to do the tubes given casting limitations.

Thanks,

Tnarg

Thanks Grant :)

This will be a one-piece casting withe the brass tubes already in place. I think that it comes down to how well the mould is designed in terms of casting success here? (Grey Matter Figures have a lot of experience in this field). Ultimately, we will wait and see? - If it doesn't work, I'll have to have a plan B!

Cheers

Derek

Great work Derek, good info too. I take it you'll be using a drill press to make the holes ? Perhaps a jig cut to hold the part at the proper angle for the holes would be the way to go ?

:popcorn:

Vaughn

Yeah, these are the sort of things that I need to consider? I have calculated that the tubes are angled backwards by 4 degrees and inboard by 3 degrees, so they will be very tricky to correctly space and align!

Cheers

Derek

A little more progress. The eight SG 500 tubes (with SG 500 round/inserts aded) are now completed. The next stage will be to drill the wing inserts and install the SG 500 tubes into them.

SG500patterns17-4-12003.jpg

SG500patterns17-4-12004.jpg

SG500patterns17-4-12002.jpg

SG500patterns17-4-12001.jpg

SG500patterns17-4-12006.jpg

Derek

SG500patterns17-4-12005.jpg

Make a jig with proper inclination, then drill with the help of a drill stand. Proxxon or Dremel will do the trick. Even much more comfortable if you are able to borrow a crosstable too; this will make the drilling of evenly spaced holes a breeze.

As for mixing Milliput (as well as other 2-part putties): Nice trick to roll the material into balls to get the correct mixing ratio :goodjob:

I suggest to roll the balls into thin "sausages" and twist the two parts around each other just like copper wire. This will make the mixing process much easier (especially if you are not the Schwarzeneggerian type with muscles the size of sea mines :innocent: ) and eleminate the problem of having not-so-well mixed residues inside.

Regards!

- dutik

Edited by dutik