Hawk T Mk 1 ETPS - FINISHED, COMPLET, FINITO ...

I think we're back on track folks.  First, a public thank-you to Steve for his offer of help which made me think, go check my stocks of generic lettering, and realise that I could actually make up the legend from what I have on hand.  Lessons learned: don't panic and post a wanted ad before being absolutely sure you can't do it from your own resources; and if you do need help, you'll probably get it on LSP, the friendliest, most relaxed and most helpful  forum I know.  

Edited by MikeC

So let's have a few pics.  Firstly, off with the masking, on with the gloss.  Gotta love a Raspberry Ripple

WP_20161002_20_52_07_Pro_zpsaz6s3ufz.jpg

WP_20161002_20_52_20_Pro_zpsdboks8ao.jpg

WP_20161002_20_52_32_Pro_zpsxr93thoj.jpg

Decalling: I thought there might be a bit of contrast under the roundel on the fuselage, because it goes over all three colours, so I added a white circle from my stock.

WP_20161004_15_07_05_Pro_zpsf6pep7ny.jpg

Result:

WP_20161004_15_19_16_Pro_zps9hcvycyi.jpg

The ETPS legend that went wrong.  Port side:

WP_20161005_15_35_31_Pro_zpskspmdbue.jpg

Starboard:

WP_20161005_16_14_01_Pro_zps491o11fw.jpg

(A little scratch on the paint by the first "E" there.)  Unfortunately, as related above, one of the decals went wrong; so one of the two above is made from generics.  Luckily the lettering is a standard size and style (4"), and I had a suitable set in stock.

WP_20161005_15_36_36_Pro_zpswd5hdhkm.jpg

So which one was made from 22 individual characters?  You've no doubt spotted it's the starboard side.  Despite having the cheat line to align with, you can see that it's not 100% straight.  But it does look better in real life than under the merciless gaze of my phone camera, and I can live with it.  Here's an in-progress:

WP_20161005_15_36_01_Pro_zps4nic01qb.jpg

It took about an hour to do those four words, with only two letters wasted in the process.  Now, having completed the major decals, I've got a couple of sessions applying stencilling to look forward to.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by MikeC

This Hawk had a number of additional instruments, which were mounted on the coaming above the instrument panel.  From the photos I have, and from those kindly supplied by LSP member Stevepd, it seems that the extra panel was simply a flat metal panel onto which the instruments were mounted with exposed backs.  So after some fiddly scratch-building I have a panel on the rear, instructor's, cockpit, and a smaller set on the front.  A quick lick of paint and some airscale decals, and here we have it.  It's almost certainly not accurate but I hope it's credible.  Many thanks to Steve for the photos.

WP_20161018_16_21_49_Pro_zpsdwxkzaa2.jpg

Onward and hopefully to finish by the deadline ...

Edited by MikeC