Trumpeter 1:200 HMS Hood + Pontos Detail Set

Iain

Iian,

I have the mighty Hood as well, sitting behind me waiting for Pontos to finish up and my wallet to regain the ability to pay for it.

I have assembled the hull and plastic decking and the fit is very good and it still fits back in the box.

I will follow yours with much interest, and will try and post mine as and when I can.

Good Luck

Andy

Hi Iain,

Couple of things, is this a picture of Hood herself or HMS Another and secondly, do the words "1/32 Lightning correction set" ring any bells :lol:

Yes, that's the Mighty Hood herself...

I got a bit burnt out on Lightnings - the masters are sat on the side of the bench glaring at me. I will get back to it  :(

Iain

I only have 1/32 aircraft in the stash - and only pre -1945 subjects at that, around the 200 mark.

But I really fancy doing this kit. As a long-term build. I've got space where I can just leave her on a workbench and return as and when I fancy it.

I know the cost of the kit is around £275 mark. But that's Felixstowe territory, and it seems to offer more plastic than the WNW kit, so I think that's a reasonable enough price.

May I venture as to the cost of the PE set? It looks pricey, but it also looks like it transforms the kit.

May I venture as to the cost of the PE set? It looks pricey. 

Hi Dean,

The Pontos set weighs in at £230 here in the UK - which sounds an awful lot - but I recon, given what it contains, is good value.

Can you imagine the cost of getting 307 small individual items turned up in brass? And that's before the 20 etched frets, 94 resin castings, 4 brass propellers, rub down transfers and laser cut wooden decks.

I believe the main gun barrels even have a representation of the rifling!!

This is, by an order of magnitude, the most expensive model project I've ever taken on - and will probably be the most complex I attempt in my lifetime. I'm not flying at the moment - but it represents about 3 - 4 hours light aircraft flying - which is how I'm trying to compartmentalise the expense in my head!

As posted earlier, I may well have bitten off a lot more than I can chew with this one, but it might be fun to have a go!  :)

Iain

Iain,

Well, it's certainly worth 3-4 hours of light aircraft flying in my opinion! A good couple of years building, works out pennies per hour.

I'm going to check the finances and see if I can get them ordered. 20 sheets of PE! Far and away the most massive PE set I've ever seen. I think the BigEd for the 1/32 He-111 was the biggest I've had to date, or the BigEd for the B-25, or maybe the same set for the Avenger?

Hi again Dean,

Are you likely to be visiting the Cosford show this weekend? If I have the Pontos set by then I'll take it along.

With regard to the Trumpeter kit itself I've sent you a PM.

Iain

Oh Iain you're living my dream , I spent £300 on the White ensign 1/350th HMS Hood when it first came out nearly 20 years ago, and I long to get the 200th scale one , and all the fixings, but there's no way I could justify the £500 or so  the project would cost to myself let alone my wife!

One of my many dream projects to build her as she was during the 1922 world cruise ,  Blame a visit to the Riverside Museum in Glasgow , they have the Builders  model of Hood as built , 1/48th scale I think , its MASSIVE, and if you get over the border at any stage well worth a look

This link gives you an idea of the size of the beast 

https://stefsap.wordpress.com/2015/11/07/hms-hood-148-model/

Good luck !

Well - I still have the 1:350 Trumpeter kit + Lion Roar set to finish, but that has been waterlined and is on the back burner for now. But we won't mention that one just now, eh?

I'd love to do her in 1920's fit as that was when my Grandfather, and my mate Bill, were aboard. In fact that was plan A - but I've decided there's enough work in this already without adding more complexity!

I know the Hood Model in Glasgow - stunning model. Planning to visit her again in the summer whilst en-route up to Burghead - timings permitting.

Would also be nice to be able to visit the old John Brown & Company site at some point, where Hood was built.

Now - a bit of thread creep - but as it's my thread - and I'm already getting flack from the cheap seats ( ;))

Remember Jamiesons Models up near Gallowgate?

Called in there a few years back and was having a nose around. Very friendly - was asked if I'd like a cuppa tea...

"No thanks" I replied.

"I'll do a special one..."

"What's one of those?" I ask, politely.

"Och, I put a wee dram in there..."

"No thanks, will be driving later..."

"You'll no be from Edinburgh will you?"

"Sorry, no, I hate to admit south of the border..." I replied.

"Ah, that's all right then, for a moment I thought..."

Always get the vibe that Glaswegians have a bit of a 'friendly' rivalry with those from Edinburgh.  :)

Also on list to introduce my son to Wonderland models in Edinburgh.

Did I mention I have a very understanding wife?  :)

Iain