Another 1/72 Eduard Mig 15bis **Finished. Outdoor Pics Added!**

mywifehatesmodels

Thanks, John.

I won't be too quick to blame the Brassin set. It may have been part of the reason for my problems, but it was more than likely my own doing. At a minimum, I know what to watch out for if I ever do another one (or even other Migs in other scales, which is certainly going to be the case). Also, if anyone reading this thread can prepare for it before gluing everything together, then it was a worthwhile sacrifice!

Received the Master barrel set yesterday, but haven't had time to get back to the bench to continue. Hoping I will be able to this evening, but it's going to be another busy day. Kids dentist  appointments, classes and church band practice are just a few things still on the agenda for today. :frantic:

Thanks again,

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Guest Peterpools

John

Geez ... can't believe the kit isn't more to blame, especially with PE and resin parts paying such a big role.

My money is riding on you that with some primer on, a NMF will work just fine

Keep 'em coming

Peter :popcorn:

John

Geez ... can't believe the kit isn't more to blame, especially with PE and resin parts paying such a big role.

My money is riding on you that with some primer on, a NMF will work just fine

Keep 'em coming

Peter :popcorn:

Thanks, Peter!

Actually, the seams are turning out better than I thought they would. More on that in a bit.

I was trying to post these pictures last night, but photobucket wasn't allowing me to upload for some reason. Here's a shot of the Master barrels. Even their 1/32 stuff has always amazed me, but in 1/72 it really makes you wonder how it's even possible to machine such small parts!

20161012_093928_zpsrjvc16tl.jpg

Getting back to the seams and such...  The wing roots turned out really well. I wanted to keep the panel lines here, but also realized that the wing walkways will be painted black later, so the polishing on that side of the seam wasn't as critical. The actual wing root, however, had to be as good as I could get it. Once I thought I might have the seams close, I gave the upper surfaces of the model  a light mist of my favorite Walmart aluminum rattle can. Not having any other suitable gloss paints to use as primers on hand, I figured this would do almost as well. It's dirt cheap, but polishes fairly well on it's own and I figured if I do wear through the Metalizer Aluminum Plate that's to come later, another aluminum underneath would surely make my life easier. I also shot a test part, first (sorry, no pics) and it worked well. I've already gone back to work on the fuselage spine seam and it's better than what the photos show. Still plenty of little spots to touch up though.  The finish actually looks much  better in the flesh than in the photos.

20161012_224547_zpsubivlbfm.jpg

20161012_224713_zpskaorze5q.jpg

I haven't finished the intake splitter yet. I had just started messing with it last night when I decided I'd done enough. So I'm hoping to get back to it later today or tonight. I also purchased a small base for this model and had to check the size (7" circle) with the model. I will probably do a small tarmac and grass section to park it on.

20161012_231609_zps1czidbqv.jpg

Thanks for following!

John

I've been trying to post an update since yesterday, but couldn't get photobucket to even upload my pics. Sounds like I wasn't the only one having trouble, though. Anyway....

Still some work to do on the intake. I keep filling and sanding but also keep finding holes and recesses to fill in (taking pictures has been key in finding some of these spots!), so it's an ongoing process and I've had to rig up some sanding tools from small strips of sandpaper and long thin tools, to reach the nooks and crannies.. There's still ongoing work on the rest of the seams, as well, but I think the top side of the model is pretty much where I want it, spare some possible restoration work on a couple panel lines. The bottom still needs some work and I have to get rid of a big  fingerprint on one of the horizontal stabs.  :doh:  Here are some photos from the process, so far.

20161013_220300_001_zps3fvhomu5.jpg

20161013_220507_zpsly4ppfwj.jpg

20161013_224954_zpsdamye1nx.jpg

20161013_225100_zps7p9qxasg.jpg

20161013_225135_zps4ftekrdb.jpg

20161013_225243_zpscllnaaj3.jpg

20161013_225209_zps6rjd7pqk.jpg

Cheers,

John

On a side note, I'm confirming the details and getting things together right now for a commission build of the AMK Mig 31 Foxhound (already have the kit in hand). I've also found decals that I was looking for to do an Egyptian Mig 21 F-13 in 1/48. Need to grab the Trumpeter kit for that one. Been a lot of Russian activity in my shop lately and it's looking like a lot more to come!

John

I was able to make a little more progress over the weekend.

This is certainly not one of my best NMF builds. However, it is turning out better than I had anticipated. I let the aluminum primer dry for about 36 hours before shooting the Metalizer "Aluminum Plate". After that had cured for 24 hours, I tried doing some weathering/washing of the panel lines with oils. I had also tried this on a test panel, but the test part didn't have the full dry time between coats and before applying oil. In both cases, however, the oil paint makes quick work of the metallic paint (both the aluminum enamel primer and the Metalizer lacquer), pretty much stripping them off immediately. The dry time in between didn't seem to make one bit of difference. I needed a "Plan B". So, I decided to get a fairly decent polish on the Metalizer finish, then use water colors for a wash, instead of oils. This seemed to do the trick. It doesn't really have the same staining effect as oils (and watercolors like to roll right off of a polished finish), but I plan on sealing everything with a coat of future and what little wash is in the panel lines will likely bleed into the future, just a hair, creating a staining effect (I hope, but it's worked for me in the past so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!).  Before applying the Future coat, I'm going to get the decals on and may try oils on those before sealing it up, but may end up with watercolor there, as well.

Here's where I'm at in the progression of the NMF. Some polishing done and the wash applied. The wash is pretty subtle. I may add more in a few spots, but I don't want it to look like a black and white line drawing, either. Photos are also revealing more flaws to fix on some of the seams (the wings, in particular).

20161016_231325_zpsrvjnjxfs.jpg

20161016_231400_zpsbvr6wxki.jpg

20161016_231449_zpszekfwsek.jpg

I will see how far I can get tomorrow. My plan is to have this finished and be on to the next project (or getting back to the F3F build) by the end of the week.

Regards,

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Thanks for the encouragement, guys (and for the tip on the barrels, John!).

The last couple days have been really busy. I did manage to get the decals on and some more work done on the finish. I just haven't had time to take/upload more pics yet. While the look has improved, it's never going to be how I envisioned it when I started. Take a look at the F-86 Sabre that Nic posted in the RFI forum today. Now, THAT is how this model was supposed to look! The paint just got too thick on this one to really keep the Metalizer in it's comfort zone. It was a double-edged sword, though. I had to prime it to hide the seams and lose some of the qualities of the top coat. Or, I could have let it go and had a better overall finish with the seams being even more obvious than they already are. You win some and you lose some and this one I'm counting as a loss. My next NMF build will be a Mirage III and I have already vowed to get that one right! :fight: I'm also lining up a Mig 21F-13 build and thought about doing that in an NMF scheme, but decided on an Egyptian desert scheme, instead. So, the Mirage it will be!

Thanks again!

John

Guest Peterpools

John

Nice progress and the NMF is going to look teal good - just keep

following your plan of polish and polish.

Keep'em coming

Peter

Well, a little more polishing and a coat of Future have been applied. I also added a little bit more oil wash which was much easier to work with after the Future coat. I thought about adding another coat of future to try to level the finish out even more, but I really don't think that will work. Too much more and it will probably have the opposite effect and start getting an orange peel effect. So, this is probably as good as it's going to get. I took the model outside for a few quick pictures in natural light to get a better idea of how it was going to look. Actually, it's better than I thought it would be a couple days ago, even if far from perfect in my mind.

20161019_125922_zpsjpgvo5fh.jpg

20161019_125831_001_zpsyjijrerq.jpg

20161019_125727_001_zpsd7znsmfs.jpg

20161019_125736_zps9dcqevzx.jpg

20161019_125716_zpssdahyqzo.jpg

I have the canopy and windscreen painted and "futured". Just need to work on the parts that attach to the canopy and the rear deck behind the pilot's headrest. Also need to do the gunsight before attaching the windscreen. The guns and landing gear will also be done in there, somewhere. I just haven't decided on the order of everything yet. Apart from that, there's just a few more small parts and she'll be finished. Time to start working on the display base, too!

Thanks again for everything!

John