Hillson FH.40

Derek B

Progress slowly continues...

Wingpattern16-5-11001.jpg

Internal wing rib blanks were made for the left and right wings

Wingpattern16-5-11002.jpg

Both wing rib blanks are now in place. The actual aircraft rear wing spar is 2mm aft of the internal kit wing stiffener, so a new datum strip has been attached to the rear of this stiffener corrospnding to the rear spar position. The plastic sheet ahead of the leading edge will form the platform for the lower right wing section.

Wingpattern16-5-11003.jpg

The lower right wing platform is now in place. This sheet overlaps the rear wing spar by 5mm. This is to facilitate the location of the choice of separate trailing edge versions (I haven't decided which one I want to use yet, so I shall make both types and you can decide which one looks better?).

Wingpattern16-5-11004.jpg

View of the location step aft of the rear for the separate trailing edge section (when I make them). The current lower wing trailing edge is one of the shapes - the other is a simple span-wise straight line joining up the outer wing panel trailing edges.

The next job will be the filling of the existing landing lights, wing tip lights and gunports. This will be followed by the gradual build up of plastic card to produce and develop the wing centre section shape and those of the trailing edges. Once all of this is complete, the wing gets chopped into several pieces and the internal hollow areas of the wings are filled with resin to stabilise them. If you can visulise a three-piece interlocking (and self-aligning) jigsaw in 3D, then this is how this lot will fit together once completed. I am also considering designing the wing struts to be interlocking with the underscarriage legs, and making them in metal, as there will obviously be some weight here?

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Awesome work Derek. Im not sure how much wieght there will be in the end, but as an engineer in my day to day job, I think that in most cases it cant ever hurt to over build something.

Good show. :D

Cheers,

Brian

Awesome work Derek. Im not sure how much wieght there will be in the end, but as an engineer in my day to day job, I think that in most cases it cant ever hurt to over build something.

Good show. :D

Cheers,

Brian

Cheers Brian :) (always nice encouragement from you).

The weight thing is mostly to counter the very long term effects of 'sagging' and 'splaying', which seems to afflict many large scale kit undercarriages over the years (bit like my body really...:lol: ).

Derek

Thanks Ron :D

Some more pics of the mess I laughingly call a conversion...

Wingpattern22-5-11006.jpg

Wingpattern22-5-11008.jpg

Wingpattern22-5-11009.jpg

Wingpattern22-5-11010.jpg

Wingpattern22-5-11013.jpg

Wingpattern22-5-11012.jpg

Next job will be the trailing edge parts for the slip wing.

Cheers

Derek

HA! Thats kinda cool looking.........weird seeing all the Hurrie cracks and crevices filled and smoothed like that.

Keep going on this one Derek, itll be a one of a kind on the display shelf when done.

Brian

Thanks Ron :D

Some more pics of the mess I laughingly call a conversion...

Derek

If my messes looked half that good I'd be a very happy man-- keep up the great work!

Mike

Brian, Mark, Mikes,

Thank you gents. Once it is eventually given a coat of paint Brian, it will look very different indeed. Sine I posted these pictures I have now cut the wing into sections, so you will see how this particular jigsaw comes together in the next set of photographs. Another reason to fill all of the internal hollow cavities (apart from plastic stability) is that in order to obtain the correct leading edge profile on the wing underside, I had to remove a lot of material, therefore, this area is now wafer thin, so will need to be filled with resin.

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

I thought that the wing leading at the centre section underside was too thin - so I ripped it apart and made a new lower section from plastic card

Wingpattern6-6-11006.jpg

Wingpattern6-6-11002.jpg

Start of the wing trailing edge fairing

Wingpattern6-6-11007.jpg

And here is how all of the jigsawieces fit together...

Wingpattern6-6-11021.jpg

Wingpattern6-6-11010.jpg

Wingpattern6-6-11019.jpg

Wingpattern6-6-11012.jpg

Wingpattern6-6-11014.jpg

Wingpattern6-6-11017.jpg

I will now send this to the casters to fill the hollow wings with resin and make a resin copy of the trailing edge fairing so that I can modify it into the second trailing edge variation.

Derek

Wow............this has become quite the involved project, especially for just the upper wing! :popcorn: Watching with great interest, and cant wait to see more.................

Cheers,

Brian

Thanks Brian :)

It does seem like a lot of work, but there is some method behind all of this madness ;)

Cheers

Derek