Silver Wings He-51

LSP_Ray

Going to give it a go with this:

01.jpg

You can see preview shots from our own site HERE.

Going to try and do Galland's aircraft from the Spanish Civil War. I have been doing some research already and so far I don't think any of the profiles or decals are 100% correct for the Mickey Mouse logo on his aircraft. Will be making my own as their aren't any in 1/32nd anyway. Stay tuned!

OK, finally getting somewhere!

Here is scan of profile of Galland's aircraft, from Classic Publication's "Luftwaffe Colours Volume One Section 2: Jagdwaffe; The Spanish Civil War" by Mombeek. Please adhere to the Fair Use Act. This shows the typical artwork used for the mouse.

Gallands%20He51.jpg

Here is a pic of the mouse motif on his actual aircraft, from the same book:

Gallands%20mickey.jpg

To my eyes, there are some obvious difference's in how Mickey (or whoever the mouse is supposed to be) is drawn.

Here is the version I drew to make decals from:

Gallands%20New%20Mickey.jpg

Any comments, or anything I missed? I think I need to make his legs closer together for one, but looking for other comments...

I think the nose needs to be pointier, Ears closer together.

I agree 100% plus the rear leg needs to be closer to the hand. If you look at the original the hand is nearly touching the leg.

Additionally, I think the arm needs to go up higher on the body. You might try the old fashioned way of projecting it on wall and then tracing the figure. Once you've done that, you could scan it into your favorite editing program and finish it off :)

Additionally, I think the arm needs to go up higher on the body. You might try the old fashioned way of projecting it on wall and then tracing the figure. Once you've done that, you could scan it into your favorite editing program and finish it off :)

Wow, that is old school! Actually, I already took the "standard" Mickey emblem and scanned it, and traced it in CAD, already broken into white and black areas. So it is just a matter of adjusting and moving objects and nodes. Always helps to have fresh eyes look at things, though.

Here is my next generation Mickey; I think it is a lot closer:

Gallands%20New%20Mickey.jpgGallands%20mickey.jpg

ANy more comments?

Nicely done mouse, Ray! That 'plane in the camouflage should look very nice. It may have been seriously outmatched by the I-15's during the Spanish Civil War, but I've always thought the He-51 was a very handsome aeroplane indeed. This should be a nice build to watch. Before I descended into my present VVS/IL-2 madness, I was quite the aficionado of Spanish Civil War aircraft. I think it was partly my interest in the Soviet machines used there that led me into my present deplorable state.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks, guys! Now the trick will be to get it to print out looking like the artwork! Not always easy when you reduce it down...also need to draw up the Maltese cross and numerals and we will have it!

And yes, Kagemusha, I will print out a couple sheets, should be enough for anyone that wants a set!