P&W 2800 engine color?

MOJO

for the f4u-1d what are the thoughts on engine color,

i've seen several different paint job's. the 2 main ones

are gray body, silver or aluminium jugs with black rocker

covers---or gray body with all black jugs and rocker covers?

also for the corsair fans (you may already know) at

www.bentwings.com , they are restoring a fg-1d and

have some great photos of the plane in different stages of resto.

first post, but always get good tips and ideas from the pros here

thanks

joe :rolleyes:

A question - Is the engine in the Trumeter kit a true -18W with the bolted gearcase, or just the same as in the -1D kit, i.e a -8W with the earlier bullet-nose gearcase?

Anyway, for a "factory new" engine: Crankcase, gearcase and distributors in a glossy medium gray. (There's an actual specification for the color, but its not FS595-related, so not much help). I do an eye-ball mix to something close to FS16314 and it looks about right. Cylinders were nautral aluminum with push rod tubes, rocker boxes and baffles in gloss black. Distributor and prop governor in various shades of dary gray and brown.

The wiring loom would be dark aluminum or steel colored with wiring either "hi-voltage" red-brown or steel-braid with steel fittings.

For "less than factory new": The crankcase , etc. could be ANY dark gray. Cylinders would be darker, but still metallic. Other fittaments could be the original color or painted to match the crankcase.

The R-2800 was noted as being a very "tight" engine, so oil contamination would not be much of in evidence.

HTH

Phil Schenfeld

A question - Is the engine in the Trumeter kit a true -18W with the bolted gearcase, or just the same as in the -1D kit, i.e a -8W with the earlier bullet-nose gearcase?

:)

Woops!, I meant ..."Is the engine in the Trumpeter" F4U-4 kit a true -18W..."

Inquiring minds wanna know

Phil Schenfeld