Decisions, decisions...57th FIS F-4E or JG 71 F-4F?

Guest Airfixer

If you need white ink printed... 

3.  Traditional silkscreen printing.  And I can tell you for a fact that no silkscreen printer is going to print you 1-3 copies for any amount of money you're going to be willing to pay.  The problem with silkscreen printing is that about 90% of the cost is incurred before the first ink hits the paper.  That's why it's usually almost the same cost to print 500 as it is to print 50.  But to print a very small quantity would mean a huge waste of film, screens, etc. 

Hard to believe we sent men to the moon almost 50 years ago, yet we still don't have a method to print opaque decal colors on a small scale.

I've had multiple layer work screen printed in the past so know this all too well.

The artwork for the 57th FIS can be easily divided into further layers but, with the varnish layer, I think it would comprise eight-nine layers and a minimum run of 25 sheets of A4 (fifty sets of A5) would cost about £600 or £12 each. £14 with instructions & ziplock. If lucky I might sell twenty at £16 each and lose £240.

There has to be something new in the not too distant future. I'm going to look closer at the printers for the ceramics industry.

Tony

P.s. apologies for going slightly off thread Erik.

Guest Airfixer

When you least expect it...

A fellow modeller from my region agreed in trading his 32nd scale Tamiya F-4EJ for a Tamiya P-51D/K, hence I will be able to build both of them. However, I've decided to tackle the JG 71 F-4F first. In a previous post, Thierrry pretty much mailed it: the F-4F in its experimental camouflage scheme is rarely seen. The 57th FIS F-4E will follow at a later date, but I don't expect to tackle that build before next year.

McDonnell Douglas F-4F-55-MC, 37+51 (72-1161), JG 71, 1976:

63lzSb8.jpg

Inventory:

1x Cutting Edge CEC32024, F-4E/F Upgrade Set (for the slatted wing conversion)

1x Cutting Edge CEC32191, F-4 Unslotted Stabs w/o Stiffeners

1x Sierra Hotel, #32410, Phantom II Intakes

1x DMold, Seamless Intakes

1x Eduard/Brassin, #632010, F-4 Phantom exhaust nozzles USAF late

1x Eduard/Brassin, F-4E wheels

1x Steel Beach, F-4 Slime Lights

1x Crossdelta, F-4 Slime Lights

1x Eduard, BIG ED Set BIG3202 for F-4E

1x Avionix, BLC32019, F-4E Cockpit Set

1x Icarus Productions, #32001, F/RF-4E Stencil Data (black)

1x AirDOC, ADM 33001, Stencils and Walkways for Norm 72 Camouflage Luftwaffe F-4F Phantom II - Part 2

1x AirDOC, ADM 32011, Norm 72 Camouflage Luftwaffe F-4F Phantom II - Part 2

F-4F cockpit references:

Original copy of Technical Order GAF 1F-4F-1 (including coloured cockpit layout fold-outs)

Still looking for:

AERO-3B missile launch rails (as originally used on GAF F-4F)

Cheers

Erik

Edited by Airfixer

That is SUCH a cool scheme!

Btw I would strongly recommend the Sierra Hotel intakes over the DMold intakes (I have used both), the SH intakes are shake and bake and are beautifully done, the DMold intakes are nice but the way the outer intake glues to the inside makes it hard not to compromise those little exhausts on the shoulder of the intake.

Cheers,

Marcel

Guest Airfixer

Grüezi, Marcel!

Thanks for the heads-up.

Between 1976 and 1983 the German Air Force evaluated ten different F-4F experimental camouflage schemes, and each of them is well worth a build of its own. The later stage of the evaluation from 1980 to 1983 eventually paved the way for the official Norm 81A and Norm 81B schemes.

Norm 81A: http://sg-etuo.de/bilder/3754_041982_tb.jpg

Norm 81B: http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o575/stoef1/Image123_zps27ab16a0.jpg

Erik

Edited by Airfixer

Guest Airfixer

When you least expect it...

[...]

The 57th FIS F-4E will follow at a later date, but I don't expect to tackle that build before next year.

[...]

:innocent: ;)

gP7jJLx.jpg

Edited by Airfixer

Guest Airfixer

Except for the stencils and the ADCOM badge, I'm planning to spray all markings and insignia using selfadhesive paint masks.

Currently, I'm busy doing the drawings for the knight helmet and the fuel tank 57th FIS lances.

State so far:

Fc4el6U.jpg

Erik

• 8 months later...

McDonnell Douglas F-4F-55-MC, 37+51 (72-1161), JG 71, 1976:

63lzSb8.jpg

WOW, great camo sir! I've also find this, but I cant' read the caption... any help? are RAL5012/5014 the correct colours?

f-4f-phantom-ii-3801-jg71-richthofen-jp-

F-4F-Phantom-II-37-51.jpg

Edited by Luca