WnW Sopwith Snipe (early)

1to1scale

Thanks to Tony (tjtx) I swapped my Tamiya Spitfire for this wonderful Snipe kit with a little bit of AM included. I am not yet sure which version I am building, but will need to make a choice soon. Last night I cut open the bags and pulled all the parts that needed wood-graining. I sprayed them all with a very thin coat of Tamiya Desert Yellow, tonight i may try my hand at wood grain and oils. Hopefully I wont muck it up too bad, I have watched enough youtube to get some ideas on how to get it done. 

wnw32020reviewrb_1.jpg

I'm on board for this ride. 

Only problem I have with the snipe is weather to do the early or late. I like both for different reasons. On a side note I find it odd that WNW did not include Barker's Snipe as one of the decal options. I know Pheon makes a sheet with his mount but really thought WNW would have provided. Oh well..... 

Zach

I built the late kit, and as most WnW kits go, its superb!    Not sure if the early comes with it or not, but just watch that Aldis long gun sight. It attaches to the upper wing IIRC, but actually goes through the windscreen, which is attached to the fuselage. 

I started last night by prepping the oil paints. As someone suggested, I put a folded paper towel in a small tupperware dish with a lid (dont tell my wife!). I squeezed out a couple globs of Light and Dark Ocher oil paint, and I will let the linseed oil leach out for 24 hours before I start tonight.

I also forgot to paint the seat frame (A30) and I took out a chunk of the prop when cutting it off the sprue, I need to fill the gak and paint both pieces. 

Also, I think I settled on Option E as I like the turned aluminum cowling and I have a good idea as to how I will achieve that effect. 

Edited by 1to1scale

I started last night by prepping the oil paints. As someone suggested, I put a folded paper towel in a small tupperware dish with a lid (dont tell my wife!).

Try thinning the oils with Japan Drier too. It alone, will take the oil drying time to a matter of hours, VS days or even weeks. 

Try thinning the oils with Japan Drier too. It alone, will take the oil drying time to a matter of hours, VS days or even weeks.

Or use Uschi van der rosten's Blitz Dry. Does the same. Whatever you can get your hands on!

Well here we go again with another wingnut build! Excitement all around when i see them pop up and i am looking forward to your progress. Tony got bit by the bug as alot of us have so now the "pandemic" has moved to you. Great choice on the kit! I've got the late version that will be probably finished in "Nelly" so I'm looking forward to taking some notes!

Karim

Well, I gave it a good try, I think I did ok, I was going for a dark finish, but I'm not sure if the wood grain looks realistic or not, I would appreciate any criticism. I am also not sure wether I should do a clear, yellow, or orange gloss over it.

aexSLTB.jpg

l76HBAT.jpg

sEpQA4w.jpg

Csey2rC.jpg

Looking really good.

Can I recommend a coat of Tamiya clear orange. I find it adds a nice richness to dark wood grain finishes. And the glossy finish works for varnished wood.

Me while not a worry for this build I only recently found that when going for a dark wood grain that yellow is a good base coat with burnt sienna oil paint for the wood grain. I am using this on my Dh9a and was pretty with the result.

Zach

I think it looks very convincing. Especially after the details are painted and picked out. You can mix it up, but as mentioned a fine mist of a 50/50 mix of Tamiya clear red/clear yellow brings a nice varnished richness to the look. Just go really light on the coats until you achieve the look you want.