Bf 109G-2 Trop

IJ001

Looks the ticket.  No fuel line?

Sincerely,

Mark

Mark

There's no fuel line in the kit, I cannot be sure however I think it's because Trumpeter have simply looked [only] at the photos of the Duxford G-2 (Black 6) in the old Aero Detail book (the same one I'm using as my main reference), and the fuel line isn't mounted in the 'pit - don't think I'll be adding it either but then...

Ian.

Thank you Martin.

So I've made a decision, I think I have the skills to fabricate the fuel line - I definitely have the raw materials, "...how hard can it be ?" (thanks Top Gear).  

The first photo is very interesting, just look how much the props have been 'burnished' back to the bare metal, almost no paint whatsoever, going to be interesting to try and replicate something like that. Also as you look at the green squiggles they definitely were applied with some skill, all the factory applied markings have been very carefully avoided.

AFN, if there's time today, I'll make a start on the IP and that fuel-line.

Ian.

So here's what I've cobbled together, not pretty, but better (maybe ?) than nothing at all:

fuel%20line%201a_zpsm2p4klcl.jpg

fuel%20line%201b_zpsqeq2sidd.jpg

fuel%20line%20test_zpsir7duexa.jpg

fuel%20line%20painted_zpsuewbit8v.jpg

fuel%20line%20done_zpsl8fadzpk.jpg

30amp fuse wire, an old 1:72 AIM-7 missile body, drilled through, the wire fed through then bent in to (rough) shape, test-fitted, painted and CA'd in to place. Like I said a wee bit rough'n ready but should look OK with the canopy opened later....

More progress pics in a minute, please stand-by.

Ian.

IP next, nothing special here, simply followed the Eduard instructions and the etch fitted the Trumpeter bits like a glove - which is what it's supposed to do, right !!

IP%20test%201_zpseqtpea45.jpg

IP%20test%202_zpsaicomvfr.jpg

IP%20test%203_zps0jlthycd.jpg

Still, better test it to make sure that it doesn't foul the fit of the side panels etc...

left%20fuselage%20test_zpsuwgolzpj.jpg

right%20fuselage%20test_zps4fu6l3bh.jpg

OK, that looks fine. So just add the twin MG17's in the cowl and ready to button-up the fuselage.

Ian.

So as this is written, this is where I'm up to:

fuselage%20done%201_zpsnsq2sq8t.jpg

fuselage%20done%202_zpswt4wjt8f.jpg

fuselage%20done%203_zps48etgbw2.jpg

fuselage%20done%204_zpspmrpxgwf.jpg

fuselage%20done%205_zps0pefx8ui.jpg

Well that's all the boring and time-consuming stuff done. Next is a couple of PSR sessions then on to final construction, a little more PSR, then.... P A I N T  !!

Ian.

Wings today...

wings%201a_zpsink42acx.jpg

wings%201b_zps7tlc1uxs.jpg

wings%201d_zpsor8tmrik.jpg

wings%201c_zpss1aosern.jpg

After a lot of test-fitting, I decided to ignore the construction sequence and therefore the 'wing root gap' issue by gluing the top wings directly to fuselage - again the fit was 'hand-in-a-glove' neat. Just a spot or two of 'Contaca' cement, let it sit in place for about five minutes then brush-in some 'Kiwi Weld' (a superb locally 'grown' product), from underneath which avoids those pesky glue bubbles we sometimes get on the these sort of joints.

Ian. 

Using Martins photo as a reference, I dry-brushed a dull silver tone (Humbrol 56) over the prop blades, then went back over the leading edges and extreme tips to try and give that 'just burnished' look...

prop_zpsqapoia9j.jpg

Not as extensive as in the photo, but then I'm doing a different machine from the same unit !! - would really appreciate some feedback from folks, let me know what you think, please.

Ian.

Finishing this update with two quick pics with the undercarriage legs just pushed in to place (apologise for the lack of quality in the first pic, but you get the idea).  Next session will be to rub-back the overall RLM02 paintwork (Lifecolour), then mask the canopies and start the pre-shading.

wings%20done%201_zpsacbl5hc6.jpg

wings%20done%202_zpssmjkkkb2.jpg

As ever thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment, more next week.

AFN

Ian.

Pre-shading over an overall coat of (Lifecolour) RLM02:

pre-shade%201_zps2yh0pqzt.jpg

pre-shade%202_zpsxgxlxdvd.jpg

pre-shade%203_zpsm83v9seh.jpg

pre-shade%204_zpsomht5ktk.jpg

pre-shade%205_zps0krj7x9u.jpg

All Tamiya acylics, Deck Tan, Field Grey and Red Brown with my 'home brew' RLM66 for the deeper shadows and exhaust areas. Thanks for taking the time to look and/or comment.

AFN

Ian.